PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for Flip

Treehugger
01-07-2015, 14:55
Here is my list http://geargrams.com/list?id=22149. I am leaving Troutville, VA early April and going NOBO. I appreciate any feedback. PS: I do sleep a bit cold!

dudeijuststarted
01-07-2015, 15:41
Here is my list http://geargrams.com/list?id=22149. I am leaving Troutville, VA early April and going NOBO. I appreciate any feedback. PS: I do sleep a bit cold!

What I'd drop:

- All socks but 2 pair. The pair on your feet and a dry pair for camp.
- All that ibuprofen. Take 2-3 doses. You can get more during resupplies.
- The extra headlamp. Consider a small keychain light.
- The extra bandana
- Snow spikes
- That entire first aid kit except maybe the emergency blanket. Antibacterial wet wipes are good enough first aid in conjunction with a bandana. If you're hurt so bad that you can't hike out on a blue blaze, that first aid kit isn't going to make things easier.
- All of the footcare stuff, unless you have a known issue. Wipe your feet with the wipes at day's end, air dry, and put on the dry socks. Merino wool is antimicrobial.
- Soap. You can use water, wet wipes, and elbow grease to clean your cook kit.

You seem to have lots of clothing duplicates. Try to consolidate into something like this:

Cold Weather Camp:
Cold weather baselayer (bottom & top)
(WARM) Merino Wool sweater or fleece
Down or Synthetic Jacket
Rain Jacket

Cold Weather Hiking:
Moisture wicking top baselayer
Rain Jacket / Pants
Shorts

You'll have your warm moments in the April afternoons and be able to shake that down. Early on its not uncommon to shed layers as the sun comes out just to put them back on as the sun ducks behind clouds. A frogg toggs suit provides a very versatile pants/jacket configuration that also traps heat very well as a shell layer.

Treehugger
01-08-2015, 23:35
What I'd drop:

- All socks but 2 pair. The pair on your feet and a dry pair for camp.
- All that ibuprofen. Take 2-3 doses. You can get more during resupplies.
- The extra headlamp. Consider a small keychain light.
- The extra bandana
- Snow spikes
- That entire first aid kit except maybe the emergency blanket. Antibacterial wet wipes are good enough first aid in conjunction with a bandana. If you're hurt so bad that you can't hike out on a blue blaze, that first aid kit isn't going to make things easier.
- All of the footcare stuff, unless you have a known issue. Wipe your feet with the wipes at day's end, air dry, and put on the dry socks. Merino wool is antimicrobial.
- Soap. You can use water, wet wipes, and elbow grease to clean your cook kit.

You seem to have lots of clothing duplicates. Try to consolidate into something like this:

Cold Weather Camp:
Cold weather baselayer (bottom & top)
(WARM) Merino Wool sweater or fleece
Down or Synthetic Jacket
Rain Jacket

Cold Weather Hiking:
Moisture wicking top baselayer
Rain Jacket / Pants
Shorts

You'll have your warm moments in the April afternoons and be able to shake that down. Early on its not uncommon to shed layers as the sun comes out just to put them back on as the sun ducks behind clouds. A frogg toggs suit provides a very versatile pants/jacket configuration that also traps heat very well as a shell layer.

Thanks! I knew I had too much clothing and extra "just in case stuff" and needed to know how to pare it down so I appreciate your input.

Kc Fiedler
01-09-2015, 21:25
Sawyer squeeze and Aquamira seem unnecessarily redundant. The chances of your filter failing for some reason is very slim to none. The chances of your Aquamira failing is... well... none. I'd take one or the other, but not both.

Seems odd to me that your warm weather bag is only 5 degrees warmer than your cold weather bag... I am assuming they're both down bags? Your warm bag is rated for 20 degrees and is 8 ounces lighter than your cold bag??? That's an insane amount of down loft lost for only a five degree bag difference! There must be some serious construction technique differences between the bags. (This is more of me musing about bag construction and why there's an 8 oz difference between the bags for only 5 degrees of rating change, curiosity really). Sorry, I think I geeked out for a second.

Still recommend a rubber band as the easiest, simplest, and lightest available wallet on the trail.

Curious about the first aid kit... are you just carrying some left over prescription antibiotics? Cause that's generally a no-no among the medical community... maybe you're a medical professional though and know what you're about.

I'll make the recommendation again to replace hand sanitizer, toothpaste, and soap simply with Dr Bronners. As I mentioned recently in another thread, you can use it for all these purposes and eliminate redundancies. I do realize, however, that not everyone is cool with replacing these items with Dr B's. Just a suggestion.

As an LNT trainer (and having literally set my backpack in a pile of human feces on the AT before) I will recommend a dedicated purpose-built cat hole trowel. I find that people (I stand accused) don't adequately dispose of human waste when trying to dig cat holes with alternate items. Can you dig a good cat hole with a tent stake? Yeah probably, but it'll be a pain.

Why carry a waterproof match container? Are you storing matches in it or something else...? Cause I saw Mini-Bic on your pack list and I've never had one fail on me (if they get wet, blow in the top hole three or four times really hard, it'll light). If you lose it or it breaks for some reason, I'm sure you can get a quick light from a fellow hiker for a night or two until you get a new one. Personally, I carry two mini-bics, one in my repair kit inside a waterproof bag and one in my cook-pot.

Is there some reason in particular why your cook pot cannot also serve as your warm-drink mug? I know some people just love to have a warm drink while they boil dinner so if that describes you then more power to you! I find that there's little reason to have a mug and a pot tho. Just me!

Love Darn Tough socks and good choice on the MLD mits! I think they'll both serve you well.

Feel free to completely ignore 100% of my suggestions. It's really just about what works for you. Have fun!

Abatis1948
01-10-2015, 18:31
Tree Hugger,
I am following you on Trailjournals.com and I am happy you posted your list. I plan to start at Harpers Ferry, W.Va., north to Katahdin; Harpers Ferry, W.Va., south to Springer Mountain. My start date will be in the first week of May 2016. When you complete your hike I will be looking forward to hearing what you used in clothing, sleep system, and shelter. Some of the questions I will have, is what cloths will I need in May – Sep on the first portion of my hike? When will I need to swap to winter cloths and sleep system on the second portion of my dike? Good luck on your grand walk. Ashley

Treehugger
01-13-2015, 00:28
Thanks KC. I am not sure about the sleeping bags except to say the 20 degree bag is probably more like a 25. Its loft seems ok but I tested it out and i was pretty cold at 25. So the other bag and several cold weather only items will be with me for only a couple of weeks. Then I will switch to warm weather stuff and the lighter bag and loose about 2.5 lbs. I like your other suggestions too except soap in my mouth. Can't handle that I dont think! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treehugger
01-13-2015, 00:32
Thanks for following me in TJ Ashley. I will do my best to review everything when I finish. I have found that to be really helpful too. Anytime you have questions just ask. Take care and good luck to you too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk