PDA

View Full Version : Any section recommendations for end of March?

DandT40
01-07-2015, 14:58
I am looking for a section of the AT that would be a good hike the last week in March. It will be myself and my two teenage daughters so the mileage needs to be between 8-15 miles a day and around 3-5 days total. We have been to GSMNP twice already so we would like to go some place different (although we have not yet hiked the northern part of the AT in GSMNP at all). Being in late March I know the weather can still be a little dicey in areas and there are few guarantees of good weather - and we are prepared for that - but obviously we would like to maximize our chances for decent weather in picking a location. Any suggestions? A loop would be ideal or else we would need a shuttle as well. I was thinking of Shenandoah NP but figured the weather would be a little rough at that time of year. With the kids some nice pay offs of views or lakes would be nice.

dudeijuststarted
01-07-2015, 15:16
I am looking for a section of the AT that would be a good hike the last week in March. It will be myself and my two teenage daughters so the mileage needs to be between 8-15 miles a day and around 3-5 days total. We have been to GSMNP twice already so we would like to go some place different (although we have not yet hiked the northern part of the AT in GSMNP at all). Being in late March I know the weather can still be a little dicey in areas and there are few guarantees of good weather - and we are prepared for that - but obviously we would like to maximize our chances for decent weather in picking a location. Any suggestions? A loop would be ideal or else we would need a shuttle as well. I was thinking of Shenandoah NP but figured the weather would be a little rough at that time of year. With the kids some nice pay offs of views or lakes would be nice.

Hike New Jersey, end to end. Its awesome.

runt13
01-07-2015, 17:32
I second ''dudeijuststarted'' it is awesome!

RUNT ''13''

HooKooDooKu
01-07-2015, 18:45
The northern have of the GSMNP has better views than the southern half. But at the end of March, the vegetation is going to pretty much still be brown.

If you'd like to see something besides brown vegetation, I would suggest a hike where you can take in some waterfalls or historic places/artifacts. I don't know where on the AT you'll find that.
As you already know, my familiarity is with the GSMNP. Since the AT rides the crest of the mountains in GSMNP, you won't find waterfalls or historic places along the AT in GSMNP.

But if you're not tied to the AT and are interested in other parts of GSMNP, I can make some suggestions... some that might even keep you at lower elevations where temperatures might not be quite as cold.
One example that would require a shuttle:
1. Park in Cosby Campgrounds and get a shuttle (A Walk in the Woods .com) to Cherokee Orchard.
2. Hike Baskins Creek Trail (with a short side trail to Baskins Falls 40').
3. Continue on Baskins Creek Trail to Roaring Fork Rd and cross over to GrapeyardRidge Tr (historic area).
4. Camp at BC32
5. Continue on Grapeyard Ridge Tr and cross over to Old Settlers Tr (historic area).
6. Camp at BC33.
7. Continue on Grapeyard Ridge Tr passing a few smaller water falls/cascades.
8. At Maddron Bald Trail, continue on to Gabes Mtn Tr.
9. Camp at BC34.
10. Continue on Gabes Mtn Tr passing by Hen Wallow Falls 45' and on to your car at Cosby Campground.

Day 1: 9 miles
Day 2: 10 miles
Day 3: 11 miles
Day 4: 5 miles