PDA

View Full Version : Kindle on a thru hike

Kiteman
01-07-2015, 16:01
Is it a good idea to bring a kindle to an early thru hike?
On one hand it's more weight, on the other hand you can take as many books as you want.

Connie
01-07-2015, 16:15
It seems to me it would not be easy to protect the display screen, as well as other damage.

I have an iPod Touch 5G with the Kindle app as well as other apps for reading, whatever. The iPod Touch allows making it single page and reading with it on its side. I find it slips in a button shirt pocket.

JessetheViking
01-07-2015, 16:26
Is it a good idea to bring a kindle to an early thru hike?
On one hand it's more weight, on the other hand you can take as many books as you want.
its fine just keep it in a waterproof ziplock, i saw atleast two people using theirs( paper white) all the way to katahdin.

colorado_rob
01-07-2015, 16:39
I'm a voracious reader on the trail, but I just use a Kindle App on my phone; I use an android, but I think Kindle apps are available for I-phones too. Works great, any font size you want, finger-swipe scroll, I even use my phone Kindle at home now in lieu of my actual Kindle.

Put it in white-letters-on-dark-background to minimize battery use.

One device fits all! Phone, camera, reader. 6 ounces of bliss plus two extra 0.9 ounce batteries.

Dochartaigh
01-07-2015, 16:43
You really can't compare the iPhone/iPad/pod touch/full-color tablet to a Kindle Paperwhite. You can look at an iPhone the wrong way and it'll crack the screen. The Paperwhite (I have the earlier 3? version without a backlight) is completely diesel. I won't say indestructible, but I loaned it to my brother and it came back to me with what looked like knife scratches on the screen, and plastic chips off the back case, and a year later it's still going strong. Battery life is also amazing on a Kindle. I'm lucky to get a couple hours of reading out of any other device with a full-color backlit screen (minus a full size iPad, but those are heavy and you're most likely not going to bring one on the trail).

Connie
01-07-2015, 17:07
The only thing that accidently scratched my iPod Touch was the plastic jacket pocket zipper.

I may suppose that plastic zippers will scratch the display. It is a caution, true or not.

soumodeler
01-07-2015, 17:16
I have taken my Paperwhite on 300+ miles of hiking and have never felt like I was going to break it. Just shove it into a waterproof bag and place on the top of the pack where nothing heavy will be on top of it.

A single charge on my Paperwhite will last me for a month of reading.

CarlZ993
01-07-2015, 17:17
I saw several hikers in 2013 carry them on their thru-hikes. Wished I had mine at times. A friend used hers in 2012. She cracked the screen somehow & had to replace it. The Paperwhite version (or even the newer Voyage) have long battery lifes & back-lit viewing. No need to use your headlamp to read in the dark. Smart phones can be an option but their viewing size is limited (unless you have one of those monster-sized phones).

It comes down to what you are willing to carry. Weight adds up & stuff will break.

Slo-go'en
01-07-2015, 19:11
Yea, not a problem. Get a padded case or even just a bubble mailer envelope will do. Just don't sit on your pack or put it in a place you won't crush it if you do.

For best battery life get the paper white. I carried the first Kindle Fire for a while but since I can't afford a smart phone and have no need for one , I have switched out to a Galaxy Tab 3 since it has all the nice tablet features like GPS, camera, micro SD slot, etc.

Hikes in Rain
01-07-2015, 20:03
Encase your Paperwhite in one of these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRP655I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Lite weight and armor plated.

Rolex
01-07-2015, 20:28
I have a bunch of them. I've currently dusted of the Kindle Keyboard with Wifi &3G I have and am planning on using it for these reasons.

It will download books on the AT&T network for free. No Wifi needed.

It can send emails also through the *.kindle.com address assigned to it for free with no WIFI signal

Super light and most compact of all I have (Fire, Fire HD, Kindle 1, etc) at 285 grams.

It doesn't have the backlight but the battery seems good for long term and I have started using lithium long lasting batteries in my headlight. Sleeping bag for only a bit is my reading to be done at night. I do enjoy a good warm daytime break and reading a bit also.

Don't get me wrong, I want a paperwhite but can't decide which one!

colorado_rob
01-07-2015, 20:45
You really can't compare the iPhone/iPad/pod touch/full-color tablet to a Kindle Paperwhite. You can look at an iPhone the wrong way and it'll crack the screen. Not my experience at all. I own a paper white kindle, fine little device, but I can read on my android phone just great, saves a bunch of weight vs. carrying two devices, though most on here don't consider 9.5 ounces (incl. case) a bunch of weight. I do. At least try using a Kindle app on your phone before messing with an extra device, like the Kindle. The android kindle app is just damn great (again, not sure about the iPhone version). Again, I have basically stopped using my Kindle because the phone is so easy to read with. And I have slowly-failing old-man eyes.

My kindle paper white weighs 7.4 ounces, it's case, 2.1.

I've been carrying smart phones for what, 8 years now and never ever broke one, though I've dropped them a couple times, thankfully not too dramatically. I did break my original Kindle, dropped it on the floor, it went haywired, never bothered to fix it because the paper white seemed like a better device anyway.

colorado_rob
01-07-2015, 20:56
It just occurred to me... you might have to buy a Kindle first before Amazon will link your Kindle library to a cell phone App... sorry, I had forgotten this little detail. Still, buy a Kindle (the PW is perfect IMHO, the Fire eats batteries), then once you have some books on it, download the Kindle app to your phone (free), log into your amazon account and link your phone (easy and free) and check it out. Play with the settings, I like white letters on black background, no light required to read and you can adjust the letter light way way down for reading in the dark, further saving battery life. I automatically flips portrait/landscape, has a bunch of fonts, whatever size you want, whatever spacing, just like on the actual Kindle. If you have never compared both side by side, don't say "they cannot be compared".

vamelungeon
01-07-2015, 21:06
As cheap as a paperwhite Kindle is now, why not? Just reading books with the thing in airplane mode will let the battery last a long time, much longer than a phone. I've taken mine on short hikes but I haven't thru hiked, but as a dedicated reader if I ever get to thru hike I'll have one with me.

July
01-07-2015, 21:45
As an avid reader, love to have material available to peruse. But honestly, I have found that at the end of the long hiking day after making camp, eating, checking gear, all I care to read is the next day's trail map, and then off to blissful sleep. :)

Dochartaigh
01-07-2015, 21:59
Not my experience at all. I own a paper white kindle, fine little device, but I can read on my android phone just great, saves a bunch of weight vs. carrying two devices, though most on here don't consider 9.5 ounces (incl. case) a bunch of weight.

I recommended the Kindle over a phone for reading because if the OP is talking about bringing a Kindle with them on a through hike then I can only assume they like to read, a lot. And if they read a lot, even one of those giant smartphones with the biggest battery available isn't going to last through reading much of a normal length book at all before the battery dies. That's going to mean you have to recharge your smartphone, and recharge it often.

I can only go by the Kindle I have (which I just googled the "D001100" model, and it's saying it's 4th gen, no touch screen or backlight) and it weighs 5.95 ounces. With my experience with it's crazy durability, it certainly doesn't need a case (just chuck it in the dry bag my down gear is in).

When I compare the Kindle to my lightest USB cell phone charger –which is 3200mah and 3.76 ounces; and will charge my iPhone 1.5x times– the Kindle is still going to last the weight of several of those USB chargers in regards to battery life, thus will be a lighter overall system. Even if I bring my larger 12,000mah (think I get around ~6 charges out of that) USB charger, I'm at 8.71 ounces for that beast...and I would still bet the Kindle will outlast the smartphone + giant battery pack (and all those recharges) on a single charge. HYOY though - this could very well not matter if you’re stopping into town as often as you can to recharge everything, or don’t read much, but this hopefully gives those voracious readers out there something to think about.

squeezebox
01-07-2015, 22:19
I'm pretty much an electronics idiot, but I am capable of learning. The Kindle Paperwhite sound good. Seems as there are several variations. What does the WiFi feature do? Which one do you suggest I get and from where? I don't have a smart phone, and don't plan on getting one.

July
01-07-2015, 22:21
As an avid reader, love to have material available to peruse. But honestly, I have found that at the end of the long hiking day after making camp, eating, checking gear, all I care to read is the next day's trail map, and then off to blissful sleep. :)

Addendum; I usually start at sunrise, and stop at sunset or little after. During the summer hiking season on the AT, it's a purty long day.

MuddyWaters
01-07-2015, 22:22
It just occurred to me... you might have to buy a Kindle first before Amazon will link your Kindle library to a cell phone App... sorry, I had forgotten this little detail. Still, buy a Kindle (the PW is perfect IMHO, the Fire eats batteries), then once you have some books on it, download the Kindle app to your phone (free), log into your amazon account and link your phone (easy and free) and check it out. Play with the settings, I like white letters on black background, no light required to read and you can adjust the letter light way way down for reading in the dark, further saving battery life. I automatically flips portrait/landscape, has a bunch of fonts, whatever size you want, whatever spacing, just like on the actual Kindle. If you have never compared both side by side, don't say "they cannot be compared".

No. You dont need a kindle, all you need is app. It automatcally syncs with amazon acct. I have never had a kindle device, no reason to. App runs on pc, tablet, phone.

CarlZ993
01-08-2015, 00:16
I saw several hikers in 2013 carry them on their thru-hikes. Wished I had mine at times. A friend used hers in 2012. She cracked the screen somehow & had to replace it. The Paperwhite version (or even the newer Voyage) have long battery lifes & back-lit viewing. No need to use your headlamp to read in the dark. Smart phones can be an option but their viewing size is limited (unless you have one of those monster-sized phones).

It comes down to what you are willing to carry. Weight adds up & stuff will break.

Forgot to mention that you can check out electronic books from your local library (assuming your library has electronic books & you have a local library card/account). On trips, I'll check-out a few books (up to 3) & then put my Kindle on airplane mode. The books will stay on my device long after the 2-weeks are up. Get to a new town & grab a computer (library?), sign on to your library account, turn on your wi-fi to your Kindle (log on to the wi-fi system where you're at), the 'old' books disappear, & check out some new ones. No money spent. Turn off your Kindle's wi-fi. Repeat as often as necessary.

vamelungeon
01-08-2015, 09:50
I'm pretty much an electronics idiot, but I am capable of learning. The Kindle Paperwhite sound good. Seems as there are several variations. What does the WiFi feature do? Which one do you suggest I get and from where? I don't have a smart phone, and don't plan on getting one.
The wifi is how you get books (and any other content) onto your Kindle. You log onto a wifi network, then you can download a book from Amazon or a library. I recommend turning off the wifi any time you aren't actively downloading something in order to save the battery. Wifi eats that batter up pretty quickly.

Hikes in Rain
01-08-2015, 12:56
The wifi is how you get books (and any other content) onto your Kindle. You log onto a wifi network, then you can download a book from Amazon or a library. I recommend turning off the wifi any time you aren't actively downloading something in order to save the battery. Wifi eats that batter up pretty quickly.

Mine came with a dedicated 3G line, as well as wifi. It's really handy if you're somewhere you don't have wifi. No phone charges, but it takes a little longer to download (a couple of seconds instead of in the blink of an eye.)

Rolex
01-08-2015, 16:50
I have a bunch of them. I've currently dusted of the Kindle Keyboard with Wifi &3G I have and am planning on using it for these reasons.

It will download books on the AT&T network for free. No Wifi needed.

It can send emails also through the *.kindle.com address assigned to it for free with no WIFI signal

Super light and most compact of all I have (Fire, Fire HD, Kindle 1, etc) at 285 grams.

It doesn't have the backlight but the battery seems good for long term and I have started using lithium long lasting batteries in my headlight. Sleeping bag for only a bit is my reading to be done at night. I do enjoy a good warm daytime break and reading a bit also.

Don't get me wrong, I want a paperwhite but can't decide which one!

I wanted to add a couple of things I forgot.
The kindle Fire and HD is heavy. And the battery life seems to suck even turning airplane mode, dimming etc. I can't recommend it for hiking.
I shove my Kindle inside my sleeping bag for protection in the backpack. Seems to work fine. Also have a bigger heavy duty ziplock with longjohns, stocking cap and socks that I want dry that I store it in for protection and dryproofing a lot.

There is something else, If you have Amazon Prime, then you get books from the Lending library and good current books being sold for free. It's blocked to only let you download them to a Kindle. It won't download to a PC or Phone app.

I did get caught on one of my Kindles once. I had picked a bunch of books on the web, and sent to the Kindle. (I think the Fire was the one) I opened it and saw the books were there(I thought). Out on the trail, I discovered that the title/covers were only posted and not the entire book! So make sure you click into each book once and verify the first page opens. I think it's in a queue to download but actually doesn't until you click into the book. With the Fire and HD, I also had to have a WIFI connection to get anything.

quasarr
01-09-2015, 09:54
I love my Kindle for travel - it is much sturdier than an ipad or smart phone, and better for reading. However I am not sure it is a good idea to bring one backpacking. It depends on your style of hiking - do you spend a lot of time in camp? Are you alone or with friends? If you like to hike all day and only stop at dark (or after!) then you probably won't do any reading. And if you are with friends or want to meet new people, you will want to socialize instead of reading. But if you are spending a lot of time in camp, you might want something to read.

Ellen_B
01-11-2015, 00:13
I am a book blogger and you bet I will be bringing my kindle! I simply cannot go half a year without books. Totally worth its weight!

Bluegrass
01-12-2015, 14:15
I have the low-end Kindle from a couple of years ago (Wikipedia refers to it as the Kindle 5).

It has been great for traveling. I have taken it backpacking and would not be without it anymore. I tend to do a lot of solo backpacking, and being able to take a break and read for a bit has been great. I find that too often I do not give myself long enough breaks while backpacking alone, and the Kindle helps with that. Of course it is also nice during the evenings. I have had a couple of times where I have been driven to my tent or hammock by bugs well before bedtime. Having something to read at that moment is worth the weight.

I keep the Kindle in the top pocket of my backpack in a quart storage bag. That means it is easily accessible and is not getting crushed. I do not have a case/cover for it. They are fairly durable from what I have seen. The battery life is measured in weeks and months.

denefi
01-13-2015, 08:22
I want to be able to read, but blog also, and am actually thinking about bringing an iPad Mini with 4G. Something to consider -> more expensive but you can sell your phone and ditch that plan for a cheaper data only plan on the iPad, then use an app for phone calls. Food for thought... I doubt the service will be as good for 4G data as it will for normal talk service, but I don't anticipate making a lot of calls.

In fairness, I also don't think the screen will be as pleasant to read on as a Kindle. Just something to consider.

QiWiz
01-13-2015, 16:48
I'm a voracious reader on the trail, but I just use a Kindle App on my phone; I use an android, but I think Kindle apps are available for I-phones too. Works great, any font size you want, finger-swipe scroll, I even use my phone Kindle at home now in lieu of my actual Kindle.

Put it in white-letters-on-dark-background to minimize battery use.

One device fits all! Phone, camera, reader. 6 ounces of bliss plus two extra 0.9 ounce batteries.

+1

I use Kindle app on iPhone and have lots of other uses for iPhone on trail (navigation, music, nature references, guidebook pdf files, etc.) - I can even make phone calls with it once in awhile to let important people know I'm alive and well.

Connie
01-13-2015, 17:02
I have seen excellent Kindle displays on different models.

There are different models available.

The "paperwhite" looks good. The type font is clear. I never expected that.

Here, someone mentioned long battery life.

1. How much long battery life?

2. What models, how much long battery life?

Harrison Bergeron
01-14-2015, 12:23
I've used a Samsung Rugby smartphone to read on my vanpool (two hours a day) for the past year, using the Kindle app. I check out my books for free from the library (through Overdrive). With the data and bluetooth turned off, it lasts about a week on a charge, which is probably good enough for the AT. It's waterproof and shockproof and the camera is as good as most point-and-shoot's. Plus, it recharges with a standard USB cable and the charger only weighs an once. It takes a 32gb SD card, which is enough to hold my entire CD library. The only downside is that it's discontinued. But I think you can still buy it from an unlocked phone vendor.

grandvizier
01-16-2015, 02:36
I just got my Paperwhite waterproofed: http://waterfi.com/waterproofing-service-kindle-paperwhite for $100 (they do ipods too)

I'm still not convinced the 8oz for a Kindle is worth it, but if it doesn't get used, I can just ship it home

Bluegrass
01-16-2015, 13:45
I have a non-PaperWhite Kindle. It is difficult to figure out battery life since by the time I need to charge it again, it has been so long since the last time that I cannot remember the last time.

I would say that moderate reading (0-1 hours a day) gets me about 4-6 weeks on a charge.

A friend has a PaperWhite model and probably gets about 4 weeks on a charge.

Elewolf
01-24-2015, 02:39
I'm not a huge smart phone fan, but I recently got the new big iPhone 6 plus to shoot video and read books on the trail. I've done both and it works really well. I was going to tote around a kindle until I started reading on this thing.

Teresa&Lisa2016
02-20-2015, 14:45
I have two questions, about battery life and price. In doing all the price comparison of memberships to audio book sites, or buying e-books for iphone with kindle app, it seems that it is actually more cost effective to just buy a kindle. with a student prime membership, which I already have, there is the free lending library, and then Kindle has all those free books already on it. My second question is about battery life -- my iphone has to be charged every night if it is using wifi or 3G, because I use it a LOT for a ton of different things. It seems like having all those audiobooks would be a waste if the device dies after a day. Anyone know how long an iphone 6 stays alive in airplane mode? Will audio books play in airplane mode?

THANKS for any advice! We start our hike in a month!

RockDoc
02-20-2015, 17:41
There are hikers who camp, and campers who do a little hiking. Taking accessories like Kindles seem to put you in the second group, although there's nothing wrong with that, and you certainly won't be the first to carry one.

Southeast
02-20-2015, 18:07
I have two questions, about battery life and price. In doing all the price comparison of memberships to audio book sites, or buying e-books for iphone with kindle app, it seems that it is actually more cost effective to just buy a kindle. with a student prime membership, which I already have, there is the free lending library, and then Kindle has all those free books already on it. My second question is about battery life -- my iphone has to be charged every night if it is using wifi or 3G, because I use it a LOT for a ton of different things. It seems like having all those audiobooks would be a waste if the device dies after a day. Anyone know how long an iphone 6 stays alive in airplane mode? Will audio books play in airplane mode?

THANKS for any advice! We start our hike in a month!

I use an android phone but it shouldn't matter.
Audio books will play in airplane mode, assuming you download the book first.
They also don't use much battery, because it doesn't require the screen to be on.
I was signed up for Amazon's audio book membership for awhile. I really liked it... One thing was they frequently have other offers ( for say, $3). I ended up with a lot of books in my library and stopped my membership until I get thru them.
A kindle, like the paperweight (I think that's the name) will definitely last longer.
Good luck choosing.

Walkintom
02-20-2015, 18:27
I use an android phone but it shouldn't matter.
Audio books will play in airplane mode, assuming you download the book first.
They also don't use much battery, because it doesn't require the screen to be on.
I was signed up for Amazon's audio book membership for awhile. I really liked it... One thing was they frequently have other offers ( for say, $3). I ended up with a lot of books in my library and stopped my membership until I get thru them.
A kindle, like the paperweight (I think that's the name) will definitely last longer.
Good luck choosing.

A few thoughts. The Kindle 3G is the model that we have. My father-in-law purchased it new years ago and when he died, my wife saved it from the donation pile and I've been using it ever since. It connects via wifi or 3G (3G is free via AT&T network, no plan). With my reading 2-3 hours/day I get about 3 weeks of life before it needs recharging. It's excellent in this regard. It's also smaller than it looks and I can fit it in many pockets where you wouldn't think that it would go.

The Kindle apps on smartphones and tablets all seem to be pretty good. I've used Kindle apps on Iphone, Ipad, and android and have been pleased with them all. You can adjust font size for comfortable reading and get good results easily.

If you're a dedicated reader and expect to read more than an hour each day, I'd say take a Kindle of the paperwhite variety. The battery life will serve you well.

If you plan to read less, you may just want to take a smartphone with the Kindle app. You can dim the screen and get quite a bit of life out of some phone batteries if in airplane mode. This is the route I went, and carried a Newtrent 10,000 ma battery backup to recharge our phones with - it did the job despite reading more than we really thought we would.

Poedog
02-22-2015, 16:49

I'll second this.

Hikes in Rain
02-22-2015, 17:09
One of the downsides of a Kindle is that when I'm reading in bed and doze off, it hurts more than a paper book when it bounces off my face. :) Other than that, it's all good.

Sly
02-22-2015, 18:22
No. You dont need a kindle, all you need is app. .

Or a paperback. They still make them?

Hikes in Rain
02-22-2015, 20:30
If they don't, I have enough for all of us. :)

July
02-22-2015, 21:27
Or a paperback. They still make them?

Sly, the method to the madness is to have a paperback "of the thickness" to properly supplement your individual pillow (sleep) system. If using such material for fire starter, one must upgrade every town or so to sustain proper mental and sleeping (physical)alignment. :)

horsefarm
02-23-2015, 07:38
Would never consider leaving my Kindle behind on a lengthy hike. The idea that only camp junkies are bringing things like a Kindle is a myth as well. Not sure why it is perpetuated, but most of the people saying it only have their first hand experience. I have mine as well, and it is disagrees. It doesn't take me a long time to set up camp, and I usually eat dinner before getting to camp. Averaging around 18 miles per day on the BMT I was still able to get in an hour of reading just about every night. It's all about priorities and what makes you happy in life as well as hiking.

Teresa&Lisa2016
02-24-2015, 16:44
Dude, no need to be rude about it. I don't think bringing a Kindle on the trail makes me any less of a hiker than you. Maybe just a more well read one. :)

Teresa&Lisa2016
02-24-2015, 16:46
Agreed! Thank you!

ChrisJackson
05-14-2015, 17:41
Just received my Kindle Paperwhite. It is COOL! Not sure why I waited so long to get this. No more carrying multiple books on trips. I think I'm just going to keep the box it came in, drop it in a Ziploc, and go.

Rolex
07-20-2015, 00:16
Just got mine (Paperwhite) too! Wished I hadn't waited so long. I've been reading 1 hour per night for three weeks and it stills shows over 1/2 charge.

I'm looking for recommendations of Kindle books to load into it relating to backpacking. ie Survival,(not zombie), Land Nav, plant identification, traps, ropemaking, etc. if anyone has recommendations. Something to read out on the trail besides the fiction I seem to devour.

atraildreamer
07-20-2015, 16:56
It seems to me it would not be easy to protect the display screen, as well as other damage. ...

I bought a screen protector for my Kindle PaperWhite. There are many available for a few $$$ on EBay. The one I bought, (the first one listed in the link), went on easily and is very rugged. The only thing about the screen protecter is that it has a smooth, shiny surface, unlike the anti-glare finish of the Kindle screen. This allows for some glare but not enough to matter.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XTempered+ Glass+Screen+Protector+For+Amazon+Kindle+paperwhit e+and+6%27+ebook+reade.TRS0&_nkw=Tempered+Glass+Screen+Protector+For+Amazon+Ki ndle+paperwhite+and+6%27+ebook+reader&_sacat=0

Hikes in Rain
07-22-2015, 06:16
I'm looking for recommendations of Kindle books to load into it relating to backpacking. ie Survival,(not zombie), Land Nav, plant identification, traps, ropemaking, etc. if anyone has recommendations. Something to read out on the trail besides the fiction I seem to devour.

I find tons of them by going to Amazon's Kindle books page, search for your topic (hiking, camping, whatever), then sort by price low to high. The free ones will be listed first. They're usually only free for a limited time, and beware, some of them are overpriced at free. :) Keep doing it once or twice a week, and like me, you'll have more books than you can read! (I just went over 800!)

Hikes in Rain
07-22-2015, 06:23
It seems to me it would not be easy to protect the display screen, as well as other damage.

I encased mine in this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRP655I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 Very happy with it, since my Kindle is now armored against almost anything. Not sure of the actual weight, but shipping weight is only 6.4 oz.

RangerZ
07-22-2015, 08:36
I have my iphone and blackberry in otter cases. I've cut a thin cardboard to fit the screen, slide them into small bubble wrap bags and a zip lock. They would ride in the inside zippered pocket of the lid of my pack. Very much belt and suspenders but I've neverr had a problem.

RangerZ
07-22-2015, 08:40
Paperbacks would burn better than a kindle (or your clothes, to resurrect that thread) if you need to start a fire.

Wülfgang
07-22-2015, 10:50
I like the PaperWhite. It causes less eye strain than a smartphone, the battery literally will last a month, and you can adjust the backlight from nil to very bright.

It is a bit of extra weight, but I find reading is a good way to pass the time or distract yourself when sitting in your tent, and a good sleep aid at times.

Farr Away
07-22-2015, 13:15

You can also keep an eye on the Books forum (under Gear Reviews). Perrymk posts a lot of hiking/outdoors related free books there.

-FA

Another Kevin
07-22-2015, 14:04
Paperbacks would burn better than a kindle (or your clothes, to resurrect that thread) if you need to start a fire.

I don't know about that. Smartphones burn pretty well. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-xPHopebiE

RangerZ
07-22-2015, 14:31
Boy, do I stand corrected. Paperbacks will still burn better than clothes, though I'm sure.

RangerZ
07-22-2015, 18:46
I don't know about that. Smartphones burn pretty well. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-xPHopebiE

Is there an app for that?

joncarter
08-27-2015, 23:14
I've thought about getting a Paperwhite to replace my Gen 2 Kindle. My only concern is that AWOL's guide isn't on Kindle. His memoirs are but not the guide itself. If AWOL's guide was on Kindle, it would be a no-brainer for me. I thought if I could take the guide and have some books all in one device (that weighs about as much as a book in the first place), then why not take one. Maybe by the time I get ready to go, the guide will be on Kindle.

KDogg
08-28-2015, 03:19
You can put PDFs on the kindle. I have AWOLs guide on my voyage. It's not as easy to use as on my ipad but between my iphone and the kindle I will be fine without a hard copy.

atraildreamer
08-28-2015, 12:59
... Play with the settings, I like white letters on black background, no light required to read and you can adjust the letter light way way down for reading in the dark, further saving battery life.

I have the Kindle Paper White. How did you get it to display white letters on a dark background? :confused:

colorado_rob
08-28-2015, 13:05
I have the Kindle Paper White. How did you get it to display white letters on a dark background? :confused:

I got a screen protector for $6 on EBay, adds a little weight, but protects my investment. :)I'm talking about my phone's kindle app, not an actual kindle. You have multiple settings with a kindle app, white on black, black on white (like a real kindle) or some weird sepia toned thing, and continuous brightness settings; night reading using white letters on black background uses a ridiculously small amount of battery power, even so with daytime reading at higher brightness. Black letters on white uses a lot more energy. You also have numerous font sizes, and the screen auto-rotates portrait/landscape. Easy to hold in one hand and swipe pages with your thumb.

I have the kindle paperwhite, basically gave it to my wife because I prefer the kindle app over it even at home. Try it sometime (the Kindle app).

tauwillow
08-28-2015, 13:35
I carried my iPad mini in a Lifeproof case on my 24 day thru hike of the River to River trail. I used it to read as well as to blog every day, and it was indispensable. It was a lot of extra weight, though, so I will be upgrading my iphone to a 6plus and leaving the tablet home. I think the screen is big enough to read comfortably with the kindle app, and blogging will be a breeze.