PDA

View Full Version : Starting Mid February '15 NOBO

HAL9e3
01-07-2015, 16:29
Hey guys!

Wanted to hike the AT ever since I was a kid and I think this year finally works out for me. Anyone else here planning on starting mid February? Planning on giving my two weeks notice soon which will give me a couple of weeks to do some last minute preparations. Man I feel excited, nervous, curious and scared all at the same time! :o

Trance
01-07-2015, 23:29
Bring warm clothes.... the smokies might have some quality snow still.

LonghornAT
01-07-2015, 23:40
I'll be starting Feb. 08 - 15th with my dad!

hikehunter
01-08-2015, 00:18
Starting 30Jan2015. Yes it will be C O L D.....I will not be very far ahead of you....

The Cleaner
01-08-2015, 01:55
You will most likely encounter icy trails when rain turns to ice so some kind of ice creepers will be needed. Also bring snowshoes for the 3-5' drifts when it does snow or bring cash/credit card for long motel stays when the trail becomes impassable. A full rain suit w/ gaiters for crawling under snowdowns. Extra batteries for your cellphone so you can call local SAR when you become hypothermic. At least a 10* bag, a good tent and possibly a tarp for shelters which tend to fill up with wind blown snow You will also need a white gas stove as alky or canister stoves don't work too well in temps below 15-20*. Wool base layers are best as you can wear them when damp. I never find any used wool clothing at the shelter I clean up usually only find synthetic or cotton clothes that have become too heavy when wet or frozen and some hikers don't want to carry them as they are trying to get off the trail to warm up somewhere. Other than those few tidbits of info, have a good time.:eek:

Kiteman
01-08-2015, 06:03
I'll be starting Feb. 2-3
Hope to be far far ahead of you :D:p:)
leaving you notes on the way ;)

No Directions
01-08-2015, 09:09
For those of you that are planning Jan-Feb starts I have a question for you. How much winter backpacking have you done? Temps on Brasstown Bald this morning are 5 degrees. Even when it hasn't rained in a while there will be groundwater seeping out of the ground. Large slabs of granite that are on the trail will be covered with ice and no way to walk around them. Hats off to you for wanting an early start but be aware of the dangers that winter time brings.

Venchka
01-08-2015, 19:57
For those of you that are planning Jan-Feb starts I have a question for you. How much winter backpacking have you done? Temps on Brasstown Bald this morning are 5 degrees. Even when it hasn't rained in a while there will be groundwater seeping out of the ground. Large slabs of granite that are on the trail will be covered with ice and no way to walk around them. Hats off to you for wanting an early start but be aware of the dangers that winter time brings.

A bit further north, at elevations well below the AT (3,400 feet), the temperatures were at, or below, ZERO. The wind was blowing stink.
In addition to the obstacles under foot, there are large limbs, whole trees and rhododendron falling from above.
Then there is the semi-scheduled (March 21, + or - a week) last big winter storm of the season waiting for you up the trail.
Have any of you read Tipi Walter's trip reports from January, February & March? He knows winter and is prepared.
Have fun! Be safe!

Wayne