PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new stove. Lost.

Frye
01-08-2015, 12:03
My head is about to explode! Ever seen the movie Scanners? It's about to happen.

For the most part I've always used alcohol stoves. Started with a canister, moved on to alcohol, made a few bad purchases (ie: Evernew stove), found the keg and never looked back. Until now.

This New Years while backpacking I surprisingly found myself thinking it was time to move on from my trusty Caldera Keg. Well, kind of. I'll still probably use it in certain conditions. For the most part though I'm just tired of messing with it. I also cook in my vestibule a bit (Half my tent is pretty much vestibule. Still not advisable, but it's not like I'm trying to make dinner in a Flycreek.), and spillage from an alcohol stove is something I've always been very concerned about. Needless to say, I think its time to go back to a canister stove.

Few tidbits of info.

I'm considering this a luxury item. Weight is not so much an issue, I could buy a stove as heavy as the Windboiler and still stay within my goals for my base of sub-10. That's not to say weight doesn't factor into my decision, it might, but I'm less worried about it then I normally would be.

Upright canister stoves I'm not exactly sold on. I know I could pick up a Litemax or whatnot, but I've never felt comfortable making MYOG windscreens for them. The Gigi + their designed windscreen doesn't interest me either as there's remote canister stoves which seem to be better options at around the same weight. The only one which has caught my eye is the Soto Windmaster. I saw Hiker Jim's video on its wind performance and it looks promising. I'd like to get some opinions on that one though and if it could be an effective stove minus a windscreen for an AT thru.

The all in one deals like Jetboil and MSR are intriguing. The TI looks interesting (Still a few to be had) and I checked out the Minimo but think if I were to carry something along that weighs that much then I might as well step my game up and purchase the Windboiler.

In conclusion, I'd like some critique of my short list. Maybe some reasons why a stove should be removed, or one should be added. I'm pretty much lost on what to purchase. So without further ado,

1. Olicamp Xcelerator. I think right now this is the one I'm leaning towards. It's a remote canister stove, but doesn't have the ability to use with an inverted canister. In my opinion though the sort of temperatures I'll be faced with starting mid march won't require anything more then a warm cup of water to get the burner going.

2. Kovea Spider. I hear very good things about this stove. Also a remote canister, but unlike the Olicamp this one is able to function with an inverted canister. I just don't see myself having a use for the ability though.

3. Jetboil SOL TI. Tempting, but I do find myself every once in a blue moon wanting to cook something more then a dehydrated meal. I'm not so worried about the melting fins issue as I tend to keep a good eye on my stove when in use. I hear it's not so good in the wind, but its ease of use is very appealing. (Doesn't the handle suck also?)

4. MSR Windboiler. Such a great looking stove. Only two downsides I can see are its weight, and inability to really simmer. (From what I understand though, one can get the flame rather low so maybe some light cooking is possible?) Other then that, the mug, lid, cozy, and handle, all look well designed and having a windproof stove does sound wonderful.

5. Soto Windmaster. Does it need a windscreen or not? I've never found an answer to this question. I'm also concerned about stability. The height of a canister, the stove, and a pot would seem prone to tipping. The canister stoves I've used in the past I imagine had a lower center of gravity.

So what do you folks think? Am I on the right track or should I be looking at some other stoves? Insight is much appreciated.

Note: I'm not interested in the Alcohol vs Canister debate. I saw someone else here mention the phases of their stove use and I totally relate. Right now I'm shifting back to canisters, perhaps one day I'll return to alcohol as my primary, but for now this is where I'm at.

Thanks,
Frye

JessetheViking
01-08-2015, 12:32
just get a jetboil and be done with it, boiling hot water in 90 seconds. I boil the water, put what ever i am cooking in the water,put the lid on. I wait 5 minutes and doneski!

One of the small canisters would last me 3 weeks during my thru hike. I would make coffee in the morning and ramen/pasta side/ other rice or noodle junk at night. after awhile i figured i only needed to boil 1 cup of water to make most of those meals. Boiling the max every time will reduce the life of the canister.

HooKooDooKu
01-08-2015, 13:04
IMHO, limit your research to comparing:
LiteMax with Titanium Pot
JetBoil SOL (or which ever is the lightest JetBoil you can find as the SOL is discontinued)
JetBoil MiniMo

If you want to go canister AND stay as light as possible:
Snowpeak LiteMax paired with your choice of titanium pot (I suggest MSR Titan Kettle or SnowPeak Trek 900)
I like the LiteMax over the PocketRocket because it is even lighter, folds smaller, and pots are a little more stable sitting on the LiteMax over the Pocket Rocket.
For a weight penalty, you could trade out a titanium pot for the OilCamp XTS. It's heavier but has the heat exchanger built in like a jetboil.

Othersize, if you want a more stable system and more fuel efficiency at the cost of a weight penalty, get a JetBoil.
The lightest possible JetBoil is the SOL, but these are in the process of being discontinued. They (along with almost every JetBoil) come with the penalty that they are only good for rapidly boiling water. The stove is either full on or full off. (And in the case of the SOL Ti, you can rip the heat exchanger off the bottom if you ever over-heat the pot... which means no melting snow... just boiling water).

If you like the stability and speed of the JetBoil, but want more flexability, try the new JetBoil MiniMo. There are other Jet Boil systems that are lighter. But as I understand, this is the 1st JetBoil where the stove was designed for simmering. The stove isn't just on or off, it actually can be put on a simmer setting. Additionally, the pot is wider than it is tall, making it easier to eat from the pot compared to other JetBoil pots that are taller than they are wide. But this comes with a little bit of a weight penalty compared to the lightest JetBoils or the stand-alone LiteMax/Pot.

Connie
01-08-2015, 14:16
I had a SOTO OD-1R and the Zelph EZ Fold windscreen sat nicely on the serrated pot support.

I did use their little add-on windscreen for the SOTO OD-1R under the cookpot to keep heat off the canister. No need for that little add-on for the SOTO Windmaster.

The SOTO Windmaster has a serrated pot support. You might fashion a windscreen out of a disposable aluminum baking pan perhaps. Suluk46 might have a titanium windscreen that would sit on the serrated pot support.

The cookpot was a GSI Hallulite Minimalist.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo182/theoriginalgeekgrrl/assembled_zps4ec5fd45.jpg (http://s374.photobucket.com/user/theoriginalgeekgrrl/media/assembled_zps4ec5fd45.jpg.html)

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo182/theoriginalgeekgrrl/withwindscreen_zps91f04d05.jpg (http://s374.photobucket.com/user/theoriginalgeekgrrl/media/withwindscreen_zps91f04d05.jpg.html)

Zelph has no-spill alcohol stoves, that do not flare-up and do not need to "bloom". He has fast boil, simmer, and long burn for a larger quantity of hot water or for melting snow.

JetBoil: My UL backpack has the JetBoil.

Connie
01-08-2015, 14:41
Is there a way to make photos into thumbnail photos from Photobucket?

Frye
01-08-2015, 15:13
I've considered asking to see if Qi or someone could work a screen up for me. A ti screen for the Windmaster would be pretty spectacular if Soto is as good as I'm lead to believe. I know at one point he was going to mod one of his screens to better fit my Packafeather but I decided to go a different direction.

I'm just not sure how comfortable one would be putting together such a screen for sale, they're not exactly recommended by the manufacturers.

Oh and I know about the no spill stove. I have a few Starlytes. Just not interested in alcohol for the time being.

Is there a way to make photos into thumbnail photos from Photobucket?

I'm not 100% sure what that means, but it made me laugh.

Connie
01-08-2015, 15:28
My SOTO OD-1R burned steady down to 20 F and down to empty canister without a sputter.

I want to replace it.

I still have the GSI Hallulite Minimalist.

I haven't been able to decide to re-purchase the SOTO OD-1R or to purchase the SOTO Windmaster.

I really like the SOTO OD-1R with the GSI Hallulite Minimalist because that GSI Hallulite has texture on the bottom of the cookpot that have a tendency to stay on those SOTO OD-1R serrated pot supports.

If I could get to REI, I could make the decision with the stove and cookpot.

The whole point, for manufacturers, is the heat deflector. That, and the windscreen has to be above the canister and the burner.

That arrangement works admirably.

We have had thoroughgoing discussion and answers, at the bplite stove forum.

I got a Cadyak "The Stump" there that had a high-suported titanium wrap windscreen design. It works brilliantly.

I knew that concept would work well for my SOTO OD-1R, because I have had a Backpacker's Pantry UL Outback Oven baking set up they sell since it first came out.

The well-regulated flame, no flare-ups, the heat deflector and their "tent" windscreen made it all work very well. No problems, all the years.

Damn Yankee
01-08-2015, 15:58
If I were to buy a new stove, it would be this one. Dual fuel and don't have to worry about cold.

Damn Yankee
01-08-2015, 15:58
If I were to buy a new stove, it would be this one. Dual fuel and don't have to worry about cold.

Sorry,
http://www.sotooutdoors.com/products/item/OD-1NP.html

earlyriser26
01-08-2015, 17:13
I have never found a stove better than the MSR Pocket Rocket.

Frye
01-08-2015, 17:50
Appreciate the suggestion early, but as with the Litemax, the inefficiency in windy conditions I see as a problem with the Pocket Rocket. Really, the problem with most upright stoves. I wish I was more into MYOG because I'd solve the issue myself, but the only thing I've ever made on my own is a cozy and I didn't enjoy doing it. Some might consider it a easy fix, but I just can't seem to motivate myself to work it out.

Connie
01-08-2015, 18:35
I am curious to see if you find a titanium windscreen: Suluk46 does have three sizes.

If unsuccessful, I have some EZ Fold windscreen I can spare. It has crimps all around. It holds size well with a bobby pin slid down the crimp grooves.

There is titanium sheeting available from Titanium Goat. It is easily cut, not easily punched and not easily made fast. Titanium Goat holds the cyllinder in place with a circle of thin cable.

Help there? Maybe, maybe not.

Perhaps an interlocking folded edge, much like if not identical to the Caldera Cone. Trail Designs makes titanium "windscreens". Trail Designs makes the Caldera Cone System.

Help there? Maybe, maybe not.

Connie
01-08-2015, 18:52
If my silicone "beer band" for the Heiniken could be thinner overall, to be more elastic perhaps, and the right diameter, perhaps it would hold a titanium cylinder for this canister stove and cooking pot combination windscreen, or, made to accomodate a different cooking pot.

Connie
01-08-2015, 18:55
I think no one wants the liability of misuse.

Perhaps a custom order?

Frye
01-08-2015, 20:23
Yeah, that's my suspicion. I haven't really reached out for an answer though. I consider sending off an email, but my shyness tends to get the best of me. I hate being told NO!

Ugh, what to do, what to do. I feel like I'm having an aneurysm...

Where's all the stove addicts?!? I meet their kind on the trail all the time, always cooking their good food, why I watch, reconstituting my pasta side...

Connie
01-08-2015, 20:33
Demeter and Sarbar are big-time trail foodies, here, in this forum.

Both have Blogs and Sarbar has a book and a website.

Zelph is an alcohol stove wizard. He has an alcohol stove business. He has a forum. He deals with windscreen questions, cookware height above the flame, heat output, fuel useage.

There are others, right here, in this forum.

I don't know that all.

In your position, I would specify the stove and cookware, and then, specify the windscreen height and diameter.

I would think you would have a windscreen you specify "made-to-order".

I do know how to have a safe windscreen above a canister and canister stove.

I think Zelph has said a cylinder windscreen needs to be 1/2" distant all around the cookpot.

Maybe 1/4 inch?

The Caldera Cone, of course, has strategically determined placed ventilation to operate properly, because it fits close at the top diameter. There is nothing haphazard about it. It is the design.

Damn Yankee
01-08-2015, 20:41
I have never found a stove better than the MSR Pocket Rocket.

This is mostly what I use but recently tried my Vargo Ti Alchy stove with windscreen with my SP 700 pot and 450 mug. I had 2 cups of water at full boil in about 4 minutes in 30* weather and slight breeze.

Frye
01-08-2015, 20:58
Demeter and Sarbar are big-time trail foodies, here, in this forum.

Both have Blogs and Sarbar has a book and a website.

Zelph is an alcohol stove wizard. He has an alcohol stove business. He has a forum. He deals with windscreen questions, cookware height above the flame, heat output, fuel useage.

There are others, right here, in this forum.

I don't know that all.

In your position, I would specify the stove and cookware, and then, specify the windscreen height and diameter.

I would think you would have a windscreen you specify "made-to-order".

I do know how to have a safe windscreen above a canister and canister stove.

I think Zelph has said a cylinder windscreen needs to be 1/2" distant all around the cookpot.

Maybe 1/4 inch?

I'm not even sure which route I want to take! LOL. Upright, Remote, or something like a Jetboil. I'm on foreign land here.

Connie
01-08-2015, 22:56
It is difficult.

If you get high quality for each type, at least tou will have something that works well.

I had to do that, then find out "by doing" what system I prefer.

For me, this is 1. Zelph's Stoves Starlyte w/lid in a pocket, roll-up titanium windscreen sized for Vargo Titanium 750 Sierra w/Snow Peak short spork, 2. SOTO OD-1R or SOTO Windmaster set up in the configuration as that photo, and, 3. JetBoil Sol Ti with Snow Peak Hybrid Spork and Spatula.

In other words, I gave up trying to choose one.

For my purpose, I have best of type. I know it isn't entirely true.

Nevertheless, I have alcohol stove silence in the mountains and the minimum weight I can achieve. I have a convenient fast fire, using the canister stove. I also have "hot water right now" from the JetBoil, if on a drliberate cold weather hike.

I have more stoves: fortunately, that is fun.

Fir example, I have a folding wood stove. I have a take apart coffee tumbler wood stove. I have a small Kiwi Shoe Polish alcohol stove. That's fun.

I have also had stoves I consider not worth having, including any stove the cookware easily slides off (dumping my dinner) and a keroscene stove (stinky fuel).

Hopefully, other's experience will help you.

Sirsnappy09
01-10-2015, 22:04
For the windscreen ,1/4" gap from the pot will work great. I love my starlyte but also have a snowpeak giga that I use with small canisters that works very well when coupled with a windscreen. I like my alky stoves but not the fuel consumption. It's really just a matter of preference.

bogeygaff
01-10-2015, 23:24
Check out Flat Cat Gear. I have used his Bobcat system with alcohol, Esbit & the Kovea spider in all seasons without any problems. Visit Jon's YouTube channel to see what can be done his Stoves.

CarlZ993
01-11-2015, 00:04
Lots of choices. First, you have to decide if you want an integrated system - like a JetBoil or Reactor. If not, then you need to decide what type of pot your want for your stove (alcohol or canister... very few people hiking w/ white gas stoves these days). I prefer a short/wide titanium pot to capture as much heat from the stove. My go-to pot for solo hiking is this one: http://www.traildesigns.com/cookware/evernew-titanium-ultra-light-9l-pot-eca252. Light & indestructible. I further add a pot cozy to help reduce fuel consumption from my canister stove (boil water, put food in it, stir it up thoroughly, turn off the stove, & put the pot in the cozy for 10 - 15 mins).

From there, pick your stove. I used Zelph's Fancee Feast stove & windscreen on my AT hike. Was pleased with it. Obviously, an alcohol stove won't boil as fast or be as hot as a canister stove. As far as a 'standard' canister stove, they will all perform poorly in windy situations. You might be able to use a windscreen in a half-moon configuration safely. Or MacGuyver a hanging windscreen from your pot to block the wind while not getting too hot for your fuel canister.

Frye
01-11-2015, 09:26
I appreciate all the advice, but I think I should put out there that I have a lot of experience cooking in the backcountry. I've used alcohol stoves for an extended amount of time and have quite a collection. I also have a collection of Ti and AL pots and pans far larger then I'll ever have an use for. I just want to go a different route on my thru hike. Nor am I very interested in building the old hanging windscreen. Hence why the only stove I asked about which sits on top of a canister was the windmaster. I'm mostly curious about the experiences people had with the stoves I mentioned or if I missed any stoves of similar design and why they may be preferred.

I honestly do appreciate the insight given, I probably should have been more specific when writing up my initial post. My fault.

Connie
01-11-2015, 21:08
Titanium sheeting is "spot welded.

There may be someone reasonably nearby that could do that, for you.

Cadenza
01-12-2015, 19:21
Have you looked at the Snow Peak Gigapower?

http://www.rei.com/product/643058/snow-peak-gigapower-auto-stove

One thing I REALLY like is the way it folds up and fits into the included little plastic box.
The box is about 1.5" X 1.5" X 4"
About the size of a typical salt shaker.
It takes up very little space in the pack. You can cram it into any little nook or void space.
The box is great protection for the burner unit.

I have three white gas stoves, two canister stoves, half dozen alchys, a wood burner, etc.......
The Giga is the most convenient of them all.

Cadenza
01-12-2015, 19:32
After re-reading your initial post, (and actually paying attention to the details!) :)
I now see that you are interested in a remote canister.

Then you should check out the Primus Omnilite Ti.
It works with any fuel, ......including canister.

http://primuscamping.com/products/omni-lite-ti