PDA

View Full Version : Gear Video-Advice Needed!

Sprout78
01-08-2015, 17:17
I am attempting a thru-hike on the AT (NOBO) starting the last week of February in 2015. Please, critique my gear! I am open to all ideas/opinions/options. I don't have exact weights on most things or a spreadsheet, but the total winter base pack weight is 19.8 lbs. I plan on sending things home and buying lighter gear as I see fit along the way. I would love to get it down to 12ish lbs. by May :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ctvULTf5Gg&feature=youtu.be

Frye
01-08-2015, 19:32
I'd try and abuse that bear line a little before taking it out. I had that brand once and it seemed to go out of its way to knot itself up. Maybe soak it? I dunno. Mine did soften up, but I'm not sure how it happened.

If you're worried about weight, cut the guide in half and have the second half sent to you in Harpers.

That vest is insane. I'm sure I'd have more, but I can't seem to get past that vest. Every time I think I have something to add, I realize its just the vest I'm thinking about. Neat stuff.

If you've hiked the CT you'll be kosher on the AT. You know your stuff.

Damn Yankee
01-08-2015, 21:11
If you use the Smart water bottle and sport cap, you can back flush with that and don't need the syringe. Also, I love the vest

Connie
01-08-2015, 23:58
Since you know they give you blisters, then, don't take the "Cascadias".

Just because you read about them, here, or see them on the trail doesn't mean they are good for you.

Obviously, they are not. Find something else.

Once I found out my "low volune" "narrow heel" and faurly straight from the metatarsal arch to the big toe somewhat wider "toe box" lace up after pulling the heel to the back of the hiking shoe then walk around awhile and then try an incline, or, with permission go outside and try a curb to see if your weight doesn't push your toes against the front of the hiking shoe, then, I never had a blister again. That said, I wear quite clean socks that will hold up longer than a day or two before washing. I have had Thorlo Lt. Hiker low quarter socks last four or five days before needing washing. Others like merino, Darn Tough, Wrights, or other socks.

Maybe see Poduatry College, San Francisco Dr. Valmassey about Morton's neuroma. But see him about foot supports, for sure. If "no way" you can get there (famous) then Good Feet insoles. Surprisingly, the Good Feet MAX are the most comfortable once your feet get acquainted.

That's all I have.

Kc Fiedler
01-09-2015, 01:31
Ditch the hand sanitizer and toothpaste (use Dr Bronners for both) and replace the sawyer squeeze with a bleach dropper bottle. Just recommendations of things that might simplify or lighten your load a bit based on the video thumbnail and previous comments. Of course, weight savings is not the end all be all of hiking so enjoy the experience!

quasarr
01-09-2015, 09:37
Maybe you could write out a list? You don't have to weigh everything, but it will be easier to read a list and pick things out rather than have to remember everything from the video. (also my Internet connection is messing up so I can't watch the video!!) Seems like you are pretty experienced and I think 12 lbs is definitely doable.

Texaco
01-09-2015, 10:56
Ditch the hand sanitizer and toothpaste (use Dr Bronners for both) and replace the sawyer squeeze with a bleach dropper bottle.

Just a second friendly opinion here, I'd disagree with this. Bring hand sanitizer. I used it every day, a few times a day, from the tiny travel sizes. And a small tube of toothpaste doesn't kill anyone. I think they're both well worth the marginal weight. As far as the Squeeze, despite living in the woods for 3 months I can't imagine always having river/stream/stick/dirt/debris floating around in my water. The bleach will clean the bacterial elements of the water, but the Sawyer will make the water clean as a whole. I wouldn't trade that for the world.

As KC said though- weight isn't the end of the world on the trail. I carried a 2 lb dSLR camera because I knew it'd make me happy. Do what suits you best.

Sprout78
01-09-2015, 11:11
Thank you all for taking the time to watch the video and give me advice!
Frye-I will cut the guide in half! I really don't like that cord either, and I'm not quite sure what to do about it either. I am hoping that most nights I will only be using it for a clothesline. I'll send the vest home when I reach the end of the Smokies if I don't use it!
Damn Yankee-You rock! I've never used a Sawyer, actually, so I hope someone can show me this trick along the way. Goodbye, syringe thingy! My favorite feature of that vest is that it hides dirt and is invincible!
Connie-Big help! Thank you for being my Gemini Cricket with the Cascadias. I'll go trade them in at REI for some more Salomons. I'm in Denver, so I can't make it to SF easily. Perhaps, I should go weigh in with a Podiatrist before my hike. I'll look into the Good Feet insoles. Thank you!
KC Fiedler-I'll try the bleach at some point before Virginia when I'm looking to shed pounds off the pack. I've only had to use it one time in my life, and it's not my fav. I might actually save the hand sanitizer and get rid of the Bronner's. I can use hotel soap bars to wash clothes, and I usually don't use soap for cooking utensils. I use that hand sani, though. No Norovirus for me! I might also get rid of a couple of other things in the med kit. Thanks!
Quasaar-I'm really trying to avoid a list/spreadsheet. I've had to do so many of those for work in my life, and this is supposed to be FUN! Thanks, anyway, though.

Kc Fiedler
01-09-2015, 11:56
The reason I encourage people to use DR B's is because you can wash your hands, hair, and clothing effectively with it. You can clean wounds with it. You can brush your teeth with it. One ounce of DR B's replaced a tube of toothpaste, bottle of sanitizer, alcohol wipes from the med kit as well as various often carried personal hygiene items. It is, of course, up to your personal preference! Enjoy.

I think my sound was messed up but I watched the video. If your carabiner is for bear bagging, it's mega overkill. No need for a locking climbing rated carabiner just for bear bagging. I'd recommend the smallest nite ize "s" carabiner you can find and learn the PCT bear hang method. Again it is, of course, your choice and simply my suggestion. I'd also recommend 40' of Dynaglide line for your bear rope, but that's a bit nit picky. Dynaglide is crazy light and crazy strong, I fell in love with the stuff when I started experimenting with it.

If you're not comfortable with a few floaters in your water, try straining particularly gross water through a bandana or a micro-towel if you carry one. Bleach is much lighter and more compact than even the sawyer mini, eliminating the need for the squeeze bag, filter body, and large back flush syringe (and eliminating their weight). Of course you may not be comfortable without filtering your water through a mechanical device so don't let me stop you!

Lastly it doesn't seem you're very likely to ever find a situation on the trail, within reasonably expectable weather boundaries, where you will need a base layer, two puffy jackets, and a rain shell. If you wear all that while hiking you will be sweating so hard, you'll soak through. In camp you've got that giant warm looking mummy bag, all those layers plus the bag would most likely keep you warm even in Canada in January (warning, speculative statement). If I were you, I'd leave the white hooded puffy vest at home. But, of course, it's about what you're comfortable with and you can always send stuff back.

Good luck, have fun, and take whatever you like!

Connie
01-09-2015, 12:04
Isn't it ZPacks that has a tangle-free cord he sells? Does someone know?

Is DynaGlide tangle-free?

Sprout78, you are welcome. I think a referral might get you into a program. I had a referral. I paid a $90-$110 fee for an orthopedic experimental program referred by the orthopedist Dr. Roberts. That was years past. It was reference rehab for a disability for walking. I'd had to relearn to walk. We dealt with improvement.

The podiatrist could find out, if they have a program for that.

Public Health uses the Part A and Part B "bleach". It is better than bleach. Bleach has nasty additives. For that reason, household bleach is not recommended. But the Part A and Part B stuff must not leak on your backpacking gear.

Didn't someone in this forum recently point out the brand bottled water "spout" may be used to shove on the tubing to backflush the Sawyer?

Edit: flip-cap from a Smart Water bottle.

Edit: Z-Line Spectra Cord is tangle resistant.

Kc Fiedler
01-09-2015, 12:09
ZPacks sells spectra/Dacron cord which they advertise as "tangle resistant". Just cherry-bomb your guy lines and cords and you'll never have a tangle again, regardless of cord type.

Sprout78
01-09-2015, 12:12
KC-Yeah, my bear bag set up definitely leaves something to be desired. There's this ZPacks (blue) one that everyone is raving about that is light. Maybe I should try that? Approximately, how many nights am I looking at for bear-bagging? Is it worth the money to buy a whole new set up?
I can let go of the biner :)
I'll decide on the changes with water filtration when I get there and take a look at the sources, etc. Good advice on another option, though!!
Thank you!!

Kc Fiedler
01-09-2015, 12:30
When I'm looking at changing gear I will do a price per ounce saved calculation. Anything under $30 an ounce or so, is usually a no brainier for me. When stuff starts getting over $50 per saved ounce... Makes the decision a little harder. Really depends on the size of your paychecks hahaha!

Frye
01-09-2015, 15:07
Wow, this is getting complicated.

I'm in the same boat as you Sprout, I don't do spreadsheets. I leave that to the paper pushers. Although Kc makes some decent suggestions (Some not so much? No disrespect meant =D) I don't do all of that and still manage to stay under 10.

Really I just take issue with the Clorox suggestion. If you want to brush your teeth with the same stuff you're scrubbing your butt with that's fine with me. Bleach though is not meant for purifying your water on a daily basis, it's meant for emergency situations only. It's also not the same chemical as Aquamira (some believe it is.) It's effectiveness is not up to par imo. You'll hear people say they've always used it and they've never been sick, but you'll also hear people say they've done the majority of the AT without using anything and never got sick. Some people don't get a bullet in the head either playing Russian Roulette. I'm not going to play Russian Roulette.

I will admit though, that at some extra purty springs I don't treat.

As for Purel. I'd bring it. You have a much greater chance of becoming ill due to poor hygiene then you do drinking the water.

(Not shaking the hand of anyone sporting patchouli oil will go a long way in preventing illness)

I also wouldn't ditch the vest, it's mind blowing. If I could I'd have my down jacket looking like a Hawaiian shirt and wear it even in 90 degree heat hiking while sipping frozen drinks (KC is probably right though, it might be to much. I'd have a hard time leaving it behind though)

@Connie, the zpacks cord is pretty nice. There's a few other shops that sell good cord also. I'm pretty sure Dutchware sells everything.

Sprout78
01-09-2015, 15:35
My main concern with my gear is warmth and weight. I can trade things like water filtration out later if I want to start to fly.
If I start sometime the first week of February, here are my main questions:

1. Will I need a 0 or 15 degree bag?

2. If I do decide to go with a 15, should I bring down booties? Will the socks be okay?

3. Do I need thicker gloves?

4. Should I bring a synthetic jacket instead of down layers?

5. Should I add something like a fleece Balaclava?

6. Can I survive without gaiters?

7. Do I need a tent if I'm going that early, or should I just get a warmer bag and hang in the shelters?

I really do appreciate the comments about some of the smaller/hygiene items.
I feel like my main concern is hypothermia/comfort at night and would love someone who has been in Georgia and GSNP to weigh in on what they needed between February 22nd and April 1st.

I have spent two seasons camping in temps under 20 and snowstorms for two weeks at a time, days with gusts up to 35 miles an hour, but not in the SE part of the country. It was relatively dry where I was. Many evenings of drying wet boots and socks by a fire, boiling water to keep hands from freezing while breaking down camp in the morning, and sit ups in my sleeping bag (which was a Never Summer 0 back then). I did wear down booties, also. I'm not saying it was fun all the time, but I prefer it over the heat/humidity combo.

Anybody have anything on these questions? I've been reading the Feb. start threads, and many people are recommending more clothes than I'm bringing and a warmer bag! Thoughts?

Frye
01-09-2015, 16:26
Opps, forgot you're an early start.
1 & 2. I'd go with a 15 bag and supplement with a down jacket and decent lower base. Down booties couldn't hurt, but I doubt you'll need them. They are ultra comfortable. I think socks will do.

3.What gloves were you using? I didn't notice them in the video and don't want to eat my bandwidth up by watching it again

4.Down all the way.

5. I'd go with wool. They're great though, I use mine in all seasons but summer.

6.Yes. You won't be getting that much crud in your shoes and no matter what you wear your feet will get wet. Gaiters = overrated.

7. Wish I could help you. I don't trust hammock users.

In the end, the amount of clothing you will need is totally based on you. I can't tell you if you'd need to bring more than I would. You've done the CT, you should have an idea.

CarlZ993
01-09-2015, 23:59
Also posted some info on your video page...

- The NeoAir shown looks like the original one. Unsure if the R-Value would support a Feb start. Consider Xlite or XTherm. Much warmer.
- Feb start = possible frigid temps. 15-deg bag might or might not work early on. May cost you extra money if you have to seek refuge in a town for warmth over a later start.
- Hanging socks never dried for me. Consider an extra pair or always hike in one pair & sleep in the other.
- Consider lighter weight stuff sacks (Sylnylon version Sea to Summit)
- Carabiner is overly stout. Small mini caribiner or S-biner would work to hang your food.
- Mini Squeeze vs regular Squeeze: better flow w/ the regular with only a 1-oz penalty
- Divy up your AT Guide into 4ths; mail drop each new section (save wt)
- That's a big wallet. ID, CC's, Debit Card, Med Ins Card, a rubber band, and a zip-lock baggie will suffice. Consider a neck wallet so it is always on your person.
- BlisterShield foot powder really works well. Only had 1 blister on AT (but, I rarely get blisters).
- Keep your journal on your Kindle. Nice WP case.

Good luck on your hike.

Connie
01-10-2015, 01:15
If you are postholing snow, knee-high gaiters can keep your pants from wetting out, chilling you excessively.

If not, low stretch gaiters keep dirt and debris off your ankles, if you wear hiking shoes. If boots, short gaiters perform the same function. However, stretch gaiters perform better in warmer weather.

That is my experience of gaiters.

Open shelters are very cold; warmer only by many warm bodies present, that, or a fireplace. Open shelters do protect from wind, if the wind is at your back. Open shelters protect from rain, if the rain is not blowing in. Then, there is the necessity of protecting your food and your gear from mice, spiders, whatever. I would think a ground cloth is minimum, a bivy better. Tents or tarp shelter gives you a choice.

I hike in an artificial insulation vest, if I need a vest for hiking. It handles a little perspiration better, a vest of course is better for ventilation. I have natural fiber and natural source insulation, except only my "silkweights" because artificial insulation clothing does not feel "warm" except only in the mildest weather.

Other people have described their artificial insulation and natural insulation layering system, in detail, for winter conditions (cold and snow) elsewhere in the forum recently.

gbolt
01-10-2015, 11:09
Loved ur video. As a future thru hiker, I have watched and will continue to disect video's and gear list to hone my own gear. However, i don't just sit and wait on my date to hike... I continuely take weekly short "hikes" (walks of 5 miles) and backpack trips throughout the year. I have learned one important cold weather combination: a fleece vest and a beanie head covering (instead of of a hood on a jacket). Ur vest is comparable to my fleece. However, I would suggest a fleece beanie or Black Rock down hat (both have been suggested by some for starts prior to April) to be added to ur system for both hiking and surprisingly enought, sleeping. I am still amazed how I can control chill and or cause sweating by what I place or remove from my head more than adding or taking off heavier layers or outwear. Hammock users really have learned this due to getting rid of the mummy sleeping bag and going to top quilts. I don't like the confinement of a mummy bag and now sleep in a hat or have one close by. That hat now fills day and nighttime purposes for light ounces. I know you are not taking an "offiial hat" but you may want to rethink that with ur start date. You specifically asked about a balaclava and I would say, no, if you make sure u take ur merino wool buff. You will probably have one or more day's u need face protection from "stinging cold". Thanks for sharing, you have a very sound system of gear! Enjoy the hike.

Connie
01-10-2015, 11:26
I am a beanie hat person for the same reasons. I only considered a balaclava to keep my sleeping gear clean, because I have long hair. It is almost always too warm to hike in and not as easily adjusted for warmth or cooling off as a beanie, at lease that is my experience. I have seen a balaclava "sides" rolled up. I wear mock turtleneck tops with either 1/4 or 1/2 zip for ventilation, but my neck is always protected from a chill. The only time I want a hood is for cold and blowing snow, and, when snow is falling off tree branches a hood becomes essential, as far as I am concerned.

Sprout78
01-10-2015, 16:06
Thanks, CarlZ993! The NeoAir is the original-most of my gear is older and thoroughly tested in the Rocky Mountains region of the US. I like it, because it fits in the sleeve of the sleeping bag in the video. The new one has a more rounded top area that won't fit.
I'm debating on getting a 0 and some down booties for a Feb. 23rd ish start and trading the heavy stuff out between Hampton, TN and Damascus when the elevations start to level out. Do you have any advice on this?
My socks always dry on my pack if it is sunny and above 65 degrees, but I'll add another pair if I need it. Thanks for the heads up that this may not work in the more humid SE!
More stuff sacks, unfortunately, are more $
I'm chucking this carabiner and considering a Z-Packs combo at this point. This would eliminate the neon stuff sack, current reflective rope, and biner. I'll price the replacement this week.
If I had to choose between replacing stuff sacks and the bear bag system, which would you choose to replace?
If I get rid of the Mini, it will probably be replaced with something lighter (and cheaper) at a later time.
I'm going to 1/2 the guide.
I'm sorry I didn't mention the wallet as a place holder. It will be made of duct tape before the hike.
Blister system is what works for me. I'm hoping I won't have to carry it the whole time. I'll probably have some blister supplies sent with each new shoe replacement JIC.
I'll have to review that WP case when I get back. Just got the set for the holidays.

Thank you for taking the time to help!!

Sprout78
01-10-2015, 16:11
If you are postholing snow, knee-high gaiters can keep your pants from wetting out, chilling you excessively.

If not, low stretch gaiters keep dirt and debris off your ankles, if you wear hiking shoes. If boots, short gaiters perform the same function. However, stretch gaiters perform better in warmer weather.

That is my experience of gaiters.

Open shelters are very cold; warmer only by many warm bodies present, that, or a fireplace. Open shelters do protect from wind, if the wind is at your back. Open shelters protect from rain, if the rain is not blowing in. Then, there is the necessity of protecting your food and your gear from mice, spiders, whatever. I would think a ground cloth is minimum, a bivy better. Tents or tarp shelter gives you a choice.

I hike in an artificial insulation vest, if I need a vest for hiking. It handles a little perspiration better, a vest of course is better for ventilation. I have natural fiber and natural source insulation, except only my "silkweights" because artificial insulation clothing does not feel "warm" except only in the mildest weather.

Other people have described their artificial insulation and natural insulation layering system, in detail, for winter conditions (cold and snow) elsewhere in the forum recently.

Thanks for the gaitors advice!

I think I'll keep the down vest for now if I can get away with it...because I already own it.

I know that GSNP requests that people sleep inside the shelters, so I may solve the problem of being cold in the shelters by bringing a 0 degree bag and booties. I'm thinking I'll bring the tent and wrap the fly around the bottom of my bag if necessary (blowing rain and snow). Do you think this will work?

Sprout78
01-10-2015, 16:12
I am a beanie hat person for the same reasons. I only considered a balaclava to keep my sleeping gear clean, because I have long hair. It is almost always too warm to hike in and not as easily adjusted for warmth or cooling off as a beanie, at lease that is my experience. I have seen a balaclava "sides" rolled up. I wear mock turtleneck tops with either 1/4 or 1/2 zip for ventilation, but my neck is always protected from a chill. The only time I want a hood is for cold and blowing snow, and, when snow is falling off tree branches a hood becomes essential, as far as I am concerned.

I dislike hats. I'm more of a need-to-have-my-feet-warm person. I'll keep the buff/hoods and forgo the extra balaclava.

Sprout78
01-10-2015, 16:21
Loved ur video. As a future thru hiker, I have watched and will continue to disect video's and gear list to hone my own gear. However, i don't just sit and wait on my date to hike... I continuely take weekly short "hikes" (walks of 5 miles) and backpack trips throughout the year. I have learned one important cold weather combination: a fleece vest and a beanie head covering (instead of of a hood on a jacket). Ur vest is comparable to my fleece. However, I would suggest a fleece beanie or Black Rock down hat (both have been suggested by some for starts prior to April) to be added to ur system for both hiking and surprisingly enought, sleeping. I am still amazed how I can control chill and or cause sweating by what I place or remove from my head more than adding or taking off heavier layers or outwear. Hammock users really have learned this due to getting rid of the mummy sleeping bag and going to top quilts. I don't like the confinement of a mummy bag and now sleep in a hat or have one close by. That hat now fills day and nighttime purposes for light ounces. I know you are not taking an "offiial hat" but you may want to rethink that with ur start date. You specifically asked about a balaclava and I would say, no, if you make sure u take ur merino wool buff. You will probably have one or more day's u need face protection from "stinging cold". Thanks for sharing, you have a very sound system of gear! Enjoy the hike.

Thank you, gbolt! The buff can work as a hat, balaclava, or bandana and is 100% merino wool. I use the merino wool hood on my baselayer, hood on my down vest, and hood on my rain gear for all other needs. I have brought beanies on soooo many adventures only to have them sit in my bag unused. I like the ease of maneuvering the buff from head covering to neck covering to balaclava covering or to hair piece. I like the ease of flipping hoods on and off. If other people find hats to be useful, then that's awesome. I just find myself annoyed that I am continually taking it off and putting it back on during the hike.

Perhaps, I will see you out there!! Perhaps, you can tell me "I told you so!" :)

Connie
01-10-2015, 16:40
Buff. Nice.
http://www.buffusa.com/professional/collections/windproof-buff-reg-pro/styles/filter/safety

Sprout78
01-10-2015, 16:42
Opps, forgot you're an early start.
1 & 2. I'd go with a 15 bag and supplement with a down jacket and decent lower base. Down booties couldn't hurt, but I doubt you'll need them. They are ultra comfortable. I think socks will do.

3.What gloves were you using? I didn't notice them in the video and don't want to eat my bandwidth up by watching it again

4.Down all the way.

5. I'd go with wool. They're great though, I use mine in all seasons but summer.

6.Yes. You won't be getting that much crud in your shoes and no matter what you wear your feet will get wet. Gaiters = overrated.

7. Wish I could help you. I don't trust hammock users.

In the end, the amount of clothing you will need is totally based on you. I can't tell you if you'd need to bring more than I would. You've done the CT, you should have an idea.

Thank you for your answers, Frye! I did the CT in the summer, though. It only got down to about 10 at night, and I camped in the valleys when I could, so I was out of the wind. Also, it rained most days but only for a couple hours. It's such a different weather pattern than the AT.
My gloves were fleece Mountain Hardware liners. They're warm, and I was going to get some medical gloves to put over them for additional warmth/moisture protection. Do you think that will work?

Sprout78
01-10-2015, 16:43
Also posted some info on your video page...

- The NeoAir shown looks like the original one. Unsure if the R-Value would support a Feb start. Consider Xlite or XTherm. Much warmer.
- Feb start = possible frigid temps. 15-deg bag might or might not work early on. May cost you extra money if you have to seek refuge in a town for warmth over a later start.
- Hanging socks never dried for me. Consider an extra pair or always hike in one pair & sleep in the other.
- Consider lighter weight stuff sacks (Sylnylon version Sea to Summit)
- Carabiner is overly stout. Small mini caribiner or S-biner would work to hang your food.
- Mini Squeeze vs regular Squeeze: better flow w/ the regular with only a 1-oz penalty
- Divy up your AT Guide into 4ths; mail drop each new section (save wt)
- That's a big wallet. ID, CC's, Debit Card, Med Ins Card, a rubber band, and a zip-lock baggie will suffice. Consider a neck wallet so it is always on your person.
- BlisterShield foot powder really works well. Only had 1 blister on AT (but, I rarely get blisters).
- Keep your journal on your Kindle. Nice WP case.

Good luck on your hike.

Carl, I wrote you at the bottom of this link and on You Tube. I have a couple more questions for you! Thank you!!

Sprout78
01-10-2015, 16:56
Ok, folks! Here are the changes I'm considering after some deliberation on your suggestions:

Weight Cutting Options:

Cut the AT guide in 1/4 or 1/2.
Replace the wallet with a lighter system.
Get rid of the Bronner's, one of the lotion bottles, and the toothpaste cover.
Drop the extra batteries.
Alleviate the Sawyer Syringe.
Replace the bear bagging equipment with the Z-Packs system (alleviating the carabiner, tangly cord, and heavy stuff sack).
Start in Salomon's without waterproofing.

Weight Gaining Options:
Add a 0 degree bag until Damascus.

Still Considering:
Adding down booties with waterproof cover (Feathered Friends?)
Changing out the tent for a tarp/cord
Replacing a down layer with a synthetic layer (probably the Patagonia sweater for a synthetic jacket of sorts)

Does anybody have any thoughts on these considerations? I am loving these suggestions and appreciating your ideas a great deal!!

gbolt
01-10-2015, 19:48

I currently have a balaclava as well as a hiking beanie. I use the balaclava at night in the hammock and only on occassion have I used it while hiking, for stingng sleet on my face, because they tend to hold to much heat as you stated. I undertand keeping sleeping gear clean and love to sleep in the balaclava. However, for under 25* I am thinking of by passing a hood on a down jacket and purchase the Black Rock Down beanie instead. Shug swears by his and is often see wearing it on winter hikes. It also decreases weight of the down jacket product. Luckily, I have time before I have tto finalize my choiices.

Kc Fiedler
01-10-2015, 21:56
Ok, folks! Here are the changes I'm considering after some deliberation on your suggestions:

Weight Cutting Options:

Cut the AT guide in 1/4 or 1/2.
Replace the wallet with a lighter system.
Get rid of the Bronner's, one of the lotion bottles, and the toothpaste cover.
Drop the extra batteries.
Alleviate the Sawyer Syringe.
Replace the bear bagging equipment with the Z-Packs system (alleviating the carabiner, tangly cord, and heavy stuff sack).
Start in Salomon's without waterproofing.

Weight Gaining Options:
Add a 0 degree bag until Damascus.

Still Considering:
Adding down booties with waterproof cover (Feathered Friends?)
Changing out the tent for a tarp/cord
Replacing a down layer with a synthetic layer (probably the Patagonia sweater for a synthetic jacket of sorts)

Does anybody have any thoughts on these considerations? I am loving these suggestions and appreciating your ideas a great deal!!

Wallet = rubber band, free and lighter than any other option you'll find. Win win, no brainier.

How heavy is your food bag? Because the string ZPacks sells is going to get just as tangled as any other string unless you learn to cherry bomb. In which case the weight savings between the two strings is the only advantage. Your current system will work just fine by simply swapping out your carabiner for a mini carabiner. It's a weight savings choice as there's no real functional benefits to ZPacks system of bear bagging.

0 degree bag PLUS down booties? Good god, man. You must sleep like an ice cube. You're not camping in Alberta. Zero degree bag seems like overkill to me, the booties on top of it is way too much. In a 20 degree bag with both your down layers and your rain jacket on you'll very easily sleep warm on a 0 degree night, which I highly suspect you won't encounter. Though it's possible!

If you've never camped with tarps before I will tell you, you're going to get it wrong a few times. Expect to wake up more than once in a pool of water because you misjudged your camp site selection with your tarp. You've also got to deal with over spray from rain. If you're not ready and experienced with dealing with these things, they're going to be a steep learning curve. Tarps are great, but they're going to require a whole new approach to your camping style.

Replacing a down layer with synthetic during the shoulder season you'll be hiking in seems like a smart idea unless you're 100% confident you can keep your down layers dry all the time. It's doable but requires diligence and a little bit of luck.

raphaelmatto
01-10-2015, 21:56
Thanks for posting this vid! I'm starting about the same time as you, so it was especially relevant. Other peeps seems to have good suggestions, the only one I'll throw out is: check out Altra shoes. They have a very wide toe box -- I have the lone peak 2.0 & they are super comfy. You can choose between different amounts of "cushion." My last pair of hiking shoes was a Roclite 315 which I also loved -- but the altras are seriously impressive.

CarlZ993
01-10-2015, 23:41
Thanks, CarlZ993! The NeoAir is the original-most of my gear is older and thoroughly tested in the Rocky Mountains region of the US. I like it, because it fits in the sleeve of the sleeping bag in the video. The new one has a more rounded top area that won't fit.
I'm debating on getting a 0 and some down booties for a Feb. 23rd ish start and trading the heavy stuff out between Hampton, TN and Damascus when the elevations start to level out. Do you have any advice on this?
My socks always dry on my pack if it is sunny and above 65 degrees, but I'll add another pair if I need it. Thanks for the heads up that this may not work in the more humid SE!
More stuff sacks, unfortunately, are more $
I'm chucking this carabiner and considering a Z-Packs combo at this point. This would eliminate the neon stuff sack, current reflective rope, and biner. I'll price the replacement this week.
If I had to choose between replacing stuff sacks and the bear bag system, which would you choose to replace?
If I get rid of the Mini, it will probably be replaced with something lighter (and cheaper) at a later time.
I'm going to 1/2 the guide.
I'm sorry I didn't mention the wallet as a place holder. It will be made of duct tape before the hike.
Blister system is what works for me. I'm hoping I won't have to carry it the whole time. I'll probably have some blister supplies sent with each new shoe replacement JIC.
I'll have to review that WP case when I get back. Just got the set for the holidays.

Thank you for taking the time to help!!
There are a lot of hikers more familiar w/ AT conditions than I. I've only thru-hiked once (2013) & some short section hikes (2010 & 2012). A 0-deg bag might be more appropriate for your early start (also, women tend to sleep colder than men). It is unknown if your pad is up to those temps or not. If you bag is sufficient but your pad isn't, you'll still get cold.

It's hard to say when it would be appropriate to start changing out cold-weather gear for something warmer. Too many variables - hiking pace, weather patterns, etc. You may have a warm weather pattern for a week or two, ship cold weather gear home, and then have a multi-week cold spell.

I used the Zpacks bear bag system & was very pleased with it. Uber-light. Use the rock sack & cord in a forward looping method & you can snag tree limbs much higher than you can throw.

As far as which system to replace (bear bag or stuff sacks), the bear bag system would probably benefit you the most weight wise.

With your early start, you might also consider taking Micro-spikes to deal with the icy trails. I didn't bring mine & I wished I did (I started on 3/21). Coming down from Clingman's Dome on 4/6, the snow had been packed down, melted some, & re-froze. It was a bobsled run. Saw several people get hurt. One had his hike end at that point (bad dislocated shoulder). I fell multiple times myself as well as doing some butt-slides.

I did most of my hiking from W. Texas & to the west. I've been able to dry socks on my pack with relative ease. I never got anything to dry, even when it was hot. It was so humid. Nothing dried. I started w/ 2 pair of socks. One I slept in & one I hiked in. I'd swap them in town after washing everything. I later added a 3rd pair for convenience.

Prior to my start, I realized this was probably my one & only opportunity to thru-hike the AT. I promised myself to keep pushing unless something ended up in a cast (had to get an X-ray in VT on a fall to make sure I didn't break my arm in a fall). If I felt like quitting, I would proceed two more resupply towns before I finally pulled the plug. I never got to that point. By VT, however, I was about ready for the 'fun' to be over with.

Gear will help you on your hike. It's up to you to finish the hike. The mind set you have between your ears is the most important attribute for doing a thru-hike. I wish your the very best on your hike.

As we say in my Boy Scout Venture Crew before we start hiking: "Is anybody not ready? <pause> Hike on!" It's almost time for you to "Hike on."

Connie
01-11-2015, 00:00
Avoid sweating in down: it is worse than getting down wet, for the useful life of the down.

That is why every item of clothing and gear I have for backpacking is designed for ventilation: removal is the last resort.

The moment you feel getting damp, perspiration starting, open up your clothing.

There is no need to be "too warm". Only "warm enough".

If you can't "warm up" from clothing or sleeping gear, not by putting on a warm "buff" hat or gloves, or, dry clothing, eat food because digestion is warming, drink water because processing a little water is warming, or, get a "hot water" platy near you.

Like that.

Sprout78
01-11-2015, 00:43
Wallet = rubber band, free and lighter than any other option you'll find. Win win, no brainier.

How heavy is your food bag? Because the string ZPacks sells is going to get just as tangled as any other string unless you learn to cherry bomb. In which case the weight savings between the two strings is the only advantage. Your current system will work just fine by simply swapping out your carabiner for a mini carabiner. It's a weight savings choice as there's no real functional benefits to ZPacks system of bear bagging.

0 degree bag PLUS down booties? Good god, man. You must sleep like an ice cube. You're not camping in Alberta. Zero degree bag seems like overkill to me, the booties on top of it is way too much. In a 20 degree bag with both your down layers and your rain jacket on you'll very easily sleep warm on a 0 degree night, which I highly suspect you won't encounter. Though it's possible!

If you've never camped with tarps before I will tell you, you're going to get it wrong a few times. Expect to wake up more than once in a pool of water because you misjudged your camp site selection with your tarp. You've also got to deal with over spray from rain. If you're not ready and experienced with dealing with these things, they're going to be a steep learning curve. Tarps are great, but they're going to require a whole new approach to your camping style.

Replacing a down layer with synthetic during the shoulder season you'll be hiking in seems like a smart idea unless you're 100% confident you can keep your down layers dry all the time. It's doable but requires diligence and a little bit of luck.

Thanks, KC! I used to be a wilderness therapy field instructor and taught troubled teens how to create shelters using tarps and cord in eastern Oregon during winter months.
During that time, I slept in down booties and a 0 degree bag in a teepee every night and was toasty. When I first started that job, I was cold every night for two weeks until I got the 0 and booties. I do sleep kinda cold :) Being cold at night is the worst! Some nights it was in the negatives, but most nights it was between 0 and 20 degrees until March.
Perhaps, I can store my extra rubber hair band by using it as a card holder! Thanks!

Sprout78
01-11-2015, 00:44
Thanks for posting this vid! I'm starting about the same time as you, so it was especially relevant. Other peeps seems to have good suggestions, the only one I'll throw out is: check out Altra shoes. They have a very wide toe box -- I have the lone peak 2.0 & they are super comfy. You can choose between different amounts of "cushion." My last pair of hiking shoes was a Roclite 315 which I also loved -- but the altras are seriously impressive.

That's the second suggestion for Altras. I'll see if I can try some on in the next week. Thanks!

Kc Fiedler
01-11-2015, 00:44
[QUOTE=Sprout78;1936223]Thanks, KC! I used to be a wilderness therapy field instructor and taught troubled teens how to create shelters using tarps and cord in eastern Oregon during winter months.
During that time, I slept in down booties and a 0 degree bag in a teepee every night and was toasty. When I first started that job, I was cold every night for two weeks until I got the 0 and booties. /QUOTE]

Sounds like you've got stuff pretty dialed in!

Dogwood
01-11-2015, 00:52
I think you will be OK with the BA Lost Ranger 15* inside your enclosed BA UL Fly Creek 2 p with all those clothes/extra socks, etc. The clothing will be something you'll narrow down going forward which you already know and plan for. I can't see you hiking in all those clothes. That's not necessarily the worst thing though. That's NOT to say you will not experience below 15* temps either. You very likely will. I'm sure you'll experience well below that especially if the wind chill is factored in. Being from Grand Junction and having done some winter camping it's likely you are knowledgeable of heat packs, hot water bottles, jumping jacks, getting out of the wind, bundling up in sleeping layers, eating higher fat foods, etc to stay warm while sleeping.

I'm quite surprised you fit that kit into a Osprey Kestral 48. The BA bag and clothing must take up much of it. For your next 15* bag consider higher fill power hydrophobic down. It will be more compressible, weigh less, and serve you better especially if you do longer winter trips. That will snowball into other lighter wt gear choices. :cool:

You'll easily drop 5+lbs from that kit going forward if you switch out the BA LR 15* to a 30* or so quilt, maybe switch to a 1 p shelter, and as you eliminate clothing and some other items. The personal hygiene dept can definitely be reconsidered and reduced. KC Fiedler made some good comments relating to that IMHO. Tweezers for ticks in Feb and March? Ace bandages? Tweezers and nail clippers? Why either? These items are available with regularity at resupply stops. You'll learn what works BEST FOR YOU and YOUR HIKE IF you observe, consider, adapt, and readjust. Stay loose and creative. Sounds like you have much of that attitude already. I have a good feeling with what you said you'll be at your kit wt goal in May.

Curious how many days food do you generally plan on carrying at a time? I know you said you carry less as a result of being small, hence the User name Sprout :p, but simply by resupplying more often needing to haul less food/food wt, regardless of how much you eat on trail, you can save wt BIG time. Consumable wt is often overlooked as we rush on to more sexy talk concerning gear and saving wt through lighter wt gear purchases but simply by hauling less food by resupplying more often, which is quite conducive to AT thru-hiker trail logistics, you'll likely save more wt than any single piece of gear in itself as you reduce to a lighter wt kit.

Make note of water sources as well as water wt can easily be the heaviest single item in one's backpack. The AT is super analyzed in regard to water sources. USE THAT to your advantage to maximize your water wt saving ways.

Heed Connie's advice about the Cascadias. FWIW, if you rock a low cut with your Feb 23 NOBO start date at some pt you'll likely be hiking in several inches+ of wet east coast snow. Umm = cold feet. Some Shortie light wt highly WR gaiters could help keep the snow out of the shoes on those occasions. Sometime in April when the high risk of snow is over rid yourself of the gaiters and go to non WP low cut trail runners. Hiking in wet feet/wet non WP low cuts is fine in late spring and summer on the AT but plan accordingly for warm but not hot feet for the first 7-8 wks or so. I would start with WP trail runners or, in addition to a pr of merino socks like you have, would add WP stretchy socks into the mix in the beginning. Take care of the tootsies. Without them a long distance hiker isn't going anywhere.

BTW, do you apply BlisterShield foot powder on wet feet as you hike? Seems like it would cake or gooey up under long duration wet conditions- umm AT conditions. I don't know. I've never used it during winter hikes and would not be inclined to do so if I knew my feet were likely to be drenched all day. Antifriction salves, balms, gels etc might be an alternative for you in the beginning of the hike. Aquapor makes one such product. It's what you might already have.

Surgical gloves are non porous non breathable(I know I've gone that dirt bag route once or twice in winter). FWIW, IMO it's a bad idea to have sweaty hands or sweat in general in winter. With the gloves you already have consider highly breathable WR or WP shells to go over your gloves. Eliminate at some pt. Keeping your extremities(feet, hands, head) and core warm while balancing out not overheating from Feb to about mid April is a key skill to have.

For some one who says she doesn't like hats do you realize you have three based on your kit in the video? There may be times in Feb/March when you'll want all three. Get over the idea that your Marmot rain jacket is just for rain. Buff is a hat too.
You have the right idea Sprout - know and let yourself and hike evolve. You don't need to make everything perfect pre-hike. :banana

One more thing. IMO it would be great if you grew fresh sprouts for eating as you hike. :D I would do it just to screw with folks.

http://outdoorherbivore.com/trail-sprouts/

http://outdoorherbivore.com/trail-sprouting/

Sprout78
01-11-2015, 00:58
Thanks, Carl! I can tell you know your stuff!
I think I'll start with the 0 bag. Better safe than sorry-sleeping cold is the absolute worst! I've been in situations before I got my current set up where I had to get up every two hours and do calisthenics in my bag to get warm. Not awesome.
I'll go with the Z-packs bear bag system. I was totally admiring it before everyone started suggesting it anyway.
I was wondering about the Micro-spikes! What a day on Clingman's Dome! Wow! I'm glad you and your tendons survived!
Gear helps, but I understand the mind is the best piece of gear. I know enough about thru-hiking (and life) to know you can't plan for everything. I'm just happy I have the opportunity to try, as so many others do not have the luxury to do so.
Thank you for helping me "be prepared!"

Sprout78
01-11-2015, 01:16
Wow, thank you Dogwood! Great observances!
I think I'm going to go with a 0 degree bag for awhile at the beginning.
My feet are a big concern for me, as I tend to get major blisters when my feet are wet during hiking. I currently have the GTX Salomons and was debating on just wearing these or getting some that are not WP. I also thought about getting a non-waterproof pair to keep at home, just in case. I was planning on replacing shoes as I go. I will probably forgo the gaiters. If it snows more than six to eight inches, I will be booking it to a dry place to sleep/dry my shoes and feet out. I have nothing to prove, and I'm attached to my toes.
I will consider your suggestion on gloves. If those aren't working for me, I'll reconsider.
I totally agree with you that I have three "hats!" Haha! People were suggesting I bring a beanie, as well, but I don't end up using them. That's just a personal preference. A Buff, IMO, is a hat!
I have a number of trail names over the years, including Sprout. I figured the AT will have its own version without me "screwing" with people. Although, I'll eat some sprouts in NJ just for you!

Sprout78
01-11-2015, 01:40
Curious how many days food do you generally plan on carrying at a time? I know you said you carry less as a result of being small, hence the User name Sprout :p, but simply by resupplying more often needing to haul less food/food wt, regardless of how much you eat on trail, you can save wt BIG time.

I start out with five days worth. For me, that is approximately 2200 calories per day. I have coffee and hot chocolate and a protein bar for breakfast. I have something fatty for lunch like crackers and peanut butter or summer sausage and cheese. I celebrate camp set up with another cup of hot chocolate (in the winter) while I cook dinner. For dinner, I have some random light packet of carbohydrates. Could be Ramen or Lipton or Cous Cous. I like to bring in a random head of broccoli, zucchini, or bell pepper to add to dinner every once and awhile on long trips.
I like to eat at restaurants whenever possible.
Depending on where I'm hiking and what resupply options look like, I've carried up to ten days of food. I had a bigger backpack for those trips-a 65.
I plan on resupplying as I go, as I find that my body is great at telling me what it needs right then (not when I'm packing resupply boxes months earlier). I'll probably get some drops of my favorite hard to find items, like Larabars, at places like Neel's Gap where the costs of resupply are higher.

I really like the following article for potential food drop ideas for those who plan to resupply as you go.
http://appalachiantrials.com/best-towns-send-mail-drops-appalachian-trail/

As I eat more and need to carry more food than 2200, I'll send home my winter gear and make more room in my 48.

What do people usually do?

Sprout78
01-11-2015, 02:00
Avoid sweating in down: it is worse than getting down wet, for the useful life of the down.

That is why every item of clothing and gear I have for backpacking is designed for ventilation: removal is the last resort.

The moment you feel getting damp, perspiration starting, open up your clothing.

There is no need to be "too warm". Only "warm enough".

If you can't "warm up" from clothing or sleeping gear, not by putting on a warm "buff" hat or gloves, or, dry clothing, eat food because digestion is warming, drink water because processing a little water is warming, or, get a "hot water" platy near you.

Like that.

I hear that, Connie! I sense an excuse to eat a little bit of chocolate with my peanut butter before bedtime!
Sweating more than necessary sucks, thus the February start!
Thank you for the advice!
I see you're from Montana! I spent some time fighting fires up in the Salmon/Challis area back in 2000-Clear Creek Complex and in Coer D'Alene staging in Post Falls of all places! Clear Creek was a scary fire! We got stuck out there at night with no camping gear, because it was so unsafe to leave our safety zone! It got cold at night...we ended up pulling a bunch of burning trees out into the middle of the zone and staying warm with a big bonfire. I slept on the ashes with a space blanket in my Nomex, Danners, and leather gloves...helmet for a pillow.
I prefer creature comforts these days! Thank you for the advice!

Sprout78
01-11-2015, 02:12
REVISED:

Weight Cutting Options:

Cut the AT guide in 1/4 or 1/2
Replace the wallet with a rubber band
Get rid of the Bronner's, one of the lotion bottles, and the toothpaste cover
Get rid of the tweezers (for start)
Drop the extra batteries
Alleviate the Sawyer Syringe
Replace the bear bagging equipment with the Z-Packs system (alleviating the carabiner, tangly cord, and heavy stuff sack)

Weight Gaining Options:
0 degree bag to start.
Micro-spikes to start

Still Considering:
GooseFeet with Waterproof Shell for camp shoes
https://goosefeetgear.com/products

Whether Waterproof shoes are better for the beginning than shoes with no Gortex?

Thank you, everyone! I think I've got some great improvements! I'll give you all an update at the end of the week with the new gear choices/weight of my backpack.

I could still use some clarifications on shoe choice!!

Fireonwindcsr
01-11-2015, 05:13
REVISED:

Weight Cutting Options:

Drop the extra batteries
Replace the bear bagging equipment with the Z-Packs system (alleviating the carabiner, tangly cord, and heavy stuff sack)

Weight Gaining Options:
0 degree bag to start.
Micro-spikes to start

Still Considering:
GooseFeet with Waterproof Shell for camp shoes
https://goosefeetgear.com/products

Whether Waterproof shoes are better for the beginning than shoes with no Gortex?

Thank you, everyone! I think I've got some great improvements! I'll give you all an update at the end of the week with the new gear choices/weight of my backpack.

I could still use some clarifications on shoe choice!!

this 14 min video could save you time and angst when deciding what you need to pack.

http://youtu.be/QNxrWHonVLI

Dogwood
01-11-2015, 05:51
If you go with the 0* bag it seems like you have too many torso pieces. I find it amazing you'll fit all of that kit w/ all those clothes and now making the upgrade to a 0* bag, a bulkier and heavier piece, into a 48 L Kestral AND 6 days of food.

You actually have 4 hats/hoods. I forgot the Pat Cap 3 or 4 hooded torso piece. Do yourself a favor and stick with your WP Solomons for the start OR include WP socks. Read Andrew Skurkas piece about dealing with wet feet. Around here on WB the consensus is just get wet. IMHO, that's not wise when it's cold. Protect your feet from wet AND cold with that Feb 23 start date. Adjust as you get deeper into your hike. You have a decent shoe line up to play with. Goretex isn't the only name in the game anymore when it comes to WP shoe membranes either. Even though I werry werry mucho wuv my Goosfeet down socks if you do go with the 0* bag and those three pr of listed socks, carry some toe/hand warmer heat packs, do the hot water bottle thing inside your sleeping bag, etc I wouldn't take them. Overkill.

Since you mentioned wanting to reduce wt in your initial post that's where I was mainly going by mentioning shorter durations between resupplies. Consider, many hikers avg about 1.5 to 2+ lbs of food wt per day, usually more per day for winter hikes. Your first 4 wks on the trail is during winter. For you, intending to carry 6 days food at a time that's 9-12+ lbs of food alone. Drop that down to resupplying when you can to about every 4 days and you just lost 3-4+ lbs off the wt you carry. Supplementing along the way between major resupplying can reduce the food wt hauled too. It's my guess your daily food allotment will be bulky too. By carrying fewer days food you will not only save wt but volume which I think you'll appreciate freeing up with all the bulk in the rest of your kit and in light of the 48 L size of your backpack. Consider balancing out the bulk and wt in the rest of your kit by reducing the bulk and wt of your food. Do the same with water. Don't fool yourself into believing just because it will often be cold in the beginning of your hike you shouldn't still consume plenty of H2O.

Routinely, hikers get caught up in focusing saving wt with gear and largely gear only. It's common. Hikers love yakkety yakking about gear. I can do it too. Don't snub your nose at realistically saving lbs when you're concerning yourself with micro managing ounces! Think about the food wt savings in these terms. If you dropped to resupplying every 4 days, maybe doing some supplementing too, instead of every 6 days the wt saved is more than all this wet saved combined:
Drop the extra batteries

Dogwood
01-11-2015, 06:28
As a runner, tennis, and basketball player who was accustomed to narrow toe boxes in my choice of fancy high priced well known shoes I was determined to be a likely candidate for later stage Mortons Nueroma. A simple change to shoe options with wider toe boxes and or 4EEEE widths, sole cushioning, 1/2 to 1 size larger than normal, orthotics, and cushy socks kept me from going down that road. Be advised your feet may very well increase in size not only temporarily as a result of swelling but also increase in size permanently as you long distance hike. My feet have definitely splayed out and grown two sizes in 7 yrs with all the long distance hiking I did in that time frame. I made the mistake on two long distance hikes of buying incorrect shoe sizes, meaning the same shoe sizes, for the beginning and end of multi 1000 mile hikes. My feet swelled/grew when my feet should have been done growing as I'm no longer a teenager. I had to eat several pr of shoes that didn't fit my feet and purchase larger sizes.

gbolt
01-11-2015, 10:36
Hey Sprout was just thinking, if you order the bear bag system from Z-Pack, order the little cuben fiber wallet pouch. It's the smallest stuff sac you will find with a draw string and is the perfect size for a driver's license, insurance card, credit/bank card, and cash. It has become such a regular item in my pocket that I forget it is a peice of gear.

Sprout78
01-11-2015, 14:54
Thank you, everyone! I will post the finalized changes after I have the gear!
I have really appreciated your advice!
In the meantime, particularly for female hikers, this hiker has some interesting ideas on things! However, she started five weeks after I will. I hope she posts a comprehensive update, although she does update her changes along the way in her trail log video. I think she is yet another AT hiker who is keeping ZPacks in business :) Happy Trails!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky7FnSuDszw

Dogwood
01-11-2015, 19:45
Here's another valid approach. It might help to keep this in mind so that one doesn't get into a strict duality in regards to apparel. Instead of thinking in terms as this apparel is meant for hiking and this separate set of apparel is meant for sleeping consider BOTH sets of apparel are BOTH for hiking AND sleeping. Clean the dirty set of apparel as needed on trail so you keep having one clean set. This slightly different mental juggling approach may seem like a nuance but IMO it opens the door to the possibilties of multi-use and possibly eventually carrying less.

Sprout78
02-20-2015, 20:40
I am posting my final gear list as a spreadsheet. I know, I know. I said I wouldn't make one, but my husband (who's a scientist) did most of the work for me. He loves making spreadsheets, which is fine by me.
I had to postpone my trip until March 12th, but I took to heart the cold/ice recommendations for March. I can always send the stuff home if it's not needed. Better safe than sorry!
I was hoping for a lighter pack weight, but I can't afford to replace my big three right now. I put all of the items I am sending home in Damascus in bold. I may also change some things at that time (pack, sleeping bag, stove, clothing). This list includes everything (except food, water weight, and trash/plastic bags).
Thank you, again, everyone! You all have been a huge help! Feeling grateful!
BTW, I could not for the life of me figure out how to post a workbook on here, so it's hard to read. I apologize.

Demeter
02-21-2015, 18:05
I put all of the items I am sending home in Damascus in bold. I may also change some things at that time (pack, sleeping bag, stove, clothing). .

Curious why you would send your Sawyer Squeeze home in Damascus? That is when you will want to pull it out of the gear closet, as it will break the internal filter if it freezes.

Just a note, I was at Trail Days in Damascus last year. Second week of May and the weather was very harsh: driving, cold rain for 2 days straight at the lower elevations, snow and ice on Mt Rogers and 20* high with the wind chill. We met A Lot of people of who were dropping out because that week was some of the harshest weather they encountered on the trail thus far. I wouldn't send home some of the winter stuff before McAfee Knob or so, especially for women (who tend to run colder than men), IMHO.

Sprout78
02-22-2015, 20:16
I wouldn't send home some of the winter stuff before McAfee Knob or so, especially for women (who tend to run colder than men), IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Plan to be spontaneous! Got it!
There's also Murphy's Law to contend with.
I'll try to be less definitive in the future, although it would be pretty nice to be able to send home most of the heavy stuff by then. My joints are rooting for Damascus! I guess we'll find out in a few months.