PDA

View Full Version : Pop up privacy shelters

Dire Wolf
01-08-2015, 18:31
I'm new so dont hate. But I'm planning section hikes this year. My question, do anyone carry pop up privacy tents to do their business? I was planning to use along with Wag bags. Is this uncool? Non badass? Sally? Btw i have no problem crapping in the woods in a ditch but I'm solo, like privacy, and wanted to adhere to the Leave No Trace practice. Thoughts?

Lone Wolf
01-08-2015, 18:54
what the heck is a wag bag and privacy tent?

theoilman
01-08-2015, 19:12
Isn't a "privacy tent" a bush or tree to be behind - that is a little ways (20 to 50 steps) off the trail? Di

Why carry a bag to carry your crap? Dig a cat hole, stir and cover. Need a cat hole shovel : www.qiwiz.net

Another Kevin
01-08-2015, 19:17
I'm new so dont hate. But I'm planning section hikes this year. My question, do anyone carry pop up privacy tents to do their business? I was planning to use along with Wag bags. Is this uncool? Non badass? Sally? Btw i have no problem crapping in the woods in a ditch but I'm solo, like privacy, and wanted to adhere to the Leave No Trace practice. Thoughts?

Most land managers in the Northeast ask you not to use a wag bag, because there's nowhere at the trailhead to dispose of one safely, and most towns don't want them in the waste stream going to the landfill. A cathole is, for instance, actually preferred in Baxter or the WMNF.

I've never bothered with a privacy shelter. If you're far enough away from a trail or a water source to be digging a cathole, nobody's going to see anything anyway. If they do, well, hikers are an earthy bunch, most of them aren't shocked at accidentally seeing someone's you-know-what or having someone accidentally see theirs. I even know of hikers who got their trail names in such incidents. ;)

ny breakfast
01-08-2015, 19:49
there are privy's along the way at shelters for doing your business in privacy, i wouldn't use a pop up privacy shelter for anything on the trail. a sil nylon ran poncho would work better for privacy if need be and also be able to use for rain gear

Dire Wolf
01-08-2015, 20:07
Okay, thanks for the replies. Trowel it is. I hope to still have my man stripes!

Damn Yankee
01-08-2015, 20:59
Just make sure you use biodegradable paper and if you use baby wipes to finish off with put them in a ziplock and carry out UNLESS you can find biodegradable wipes. RV toilet paper is degradable.

swjohnsey
01-08-2015, 21:57
Okay, thanks for the replies. Trowel it is. I hope to still have my man stripes!

Don't bother buying a trowel, you can pick one of the bright orange ones up along the trail or in a hiker box the first day or two.

daddytwosticks
01-09-2015, 08:16
This reminds me of an old post here on Whiteblaze where someone wanted opinions about carrying one of those portable folding toilet seats on legs. I can think of some new trail names already! :)

Tennessee Viking
01-09-2015, 08:31
Large tree down hill from trail, trowel, TP...done

Damn Yankee
01-09-2015, 09:02
No trowel. Use stick or tent peg.

QHShowoman
01-09-2015, 20:23
How heavy are those privacy shelters? The ones I see online are all like 3lbs!

ChefATLTCT
01-09-2015, 21:08
Once, on my way up out of Fontana dam, I had to go, I didnt make it to far before i had to do my business. Squatting, facing trail I saw three hikers pass and they never even noticed me.

Lone Wolf
01-09-2015, 21:20
there's 1000s of acres around youwhen you're walkin'. why does one need some sorta shelter to evacuate one's bowels? y'all are freaks

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2015, 21:32
Uh OK just a thought... most of the older women I hike with just ask for distance and find a blocking tree, and privacy, most men do not want to see what ever you are doing...but hey we are old school we used to shower as 45 male kids in a gym class together in elementary school and clearly that doesn't happen anymore... So I get it. Try this first or walk off trail a distance and make sure you can walk back.

CLICK (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-to-****-in-the-woods-kathleen-meyer/1102418217?ean=9781580083638)

atmilkman
01-09-2015, 23:45
Uh OK just a thought... most of the older women I hike with just ask for distance and find a blocking tree, and privacy, most men do not want to see what ever you are doing...but hey we are old school we used to shower as 45 male kids in a gym class together in elementary school and clearly that doesn't happen anymore... So I get it. Try this first or walk off trail a distance and make sure you can walk back.

CLICK (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-to-****-in-the-woods-kathleen-meyer/1102418217?ean=9781580083638)
136 pages - that's a bunch a .............

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2015, 09:36
just trying to be helpful

Dire Wolf
01-10-2015, 10:41
Thanks all

Busky2
01-10-2015, 11:31
there's 1000s of acres around youwhen you're walkin'. why does one need some sorta shelter to evacuate one's bowels? y'all are freaks

Well they are not freaks, they just happened to have been raised to be modest that is all. They are not as comfortable as some of the obnoxious judgmental backward thinking types that are happy as a dog to poop in the front yard for all to see, that all. But that is just a guess on my part

squeezebox
01-10-2015, 12:30
Your modesty issues will probably change. Privies, pooping in the woods, changing clothes in the shelter, etc, are part of being on the trail. Live and let live, do what ya gotta do. And very much yes, they are not part of living in town, living in my neighborhood. The trail is a different world.

Bronk
01-10-2015, 13:32
That's what the shelters are for :-)

Sirsnappy09
01-10-2015, 14:05
What squeeze said.

squeezebox
01-10-2015, 16:09
So what's the protocol for changing clothes in a shelter in front of other people? Do you just go off to the corner and change? Or do you apologize to others in the shelter, which draws attention to yourself, and put on a mini show. Either way it's a kinda of a who cares situation.

Sandy of PA
01-12-2015, 22:39
As a solo lady, I change inside my sleeping bag in mixed company. For washing up, I warn the fellows and hide behind the shelter if staying at one. In my tent, I close the door.

squeezebox
01-13-2015, 05:30
Sandy, sorry to hear of you going through difficulties just to change clothes. Just so you know I couldn't care less where you change. I know what naked women look like. So what!!

illabelle
01-13-2015, 05:49
Sandy, sorry to hear of you going through difficulties just to change clothes. Just so you know I couldn't care less where you change. I know what naked women look like. So what!!

We know that 95% of you guys are gentlemen and will give us a little privacy when we need it. :) We appreciate that! The problem is with that other 5%, the ones people refer to in the "creepy" threads.
The worst privacy issue I've faced was being thoroughly wet and chilly in a drenching rain, arriving at an occupied shelter, and needing to strip down, air out, and put on dry clothes. It was raining behind the shelter, so that was not an option. Since my husband was with me, he simply held up a piece of the tent while I did what I had to do.

squeezebox
01-13-2015, 06:14
I'ld be willing to hold up a piece of tent and face the other direction, or ask 1 or 2 women to cover for you.

RED-DOG
01-13-2015, 11:50

If you take a WAG BAG and a Privacy shelter out their, your Man stripes would absolutely be the last thing you need to worry about.

I can think of a couple of trail names already.

RED-DOG
01-13-2015, 11:54
So what's the protocol for changing clothes in a shelter in front of other people? Do you just go off to the corner and change? Or do you apologize to others in the shelter, which draws attention to yourself, and put on a mini show. Either way it's a kinda of a who cares situation.

I use the Privy if it has one, or my tent, if I am hiking with a female I set my tent up.

perdidochas
01-13-2015, 13:07
Well they are not freaks, they just happened to have been raised to be modest that is all. They are not as comfortable as some of the obnoxious judgmental backward thinking types that are happy as a dog to poop in the front yard for all to see, that all. But that is just a guess on my part

Leave No Trace recommends going at least 200 feet from the trail (or any water sources). In a forested area, it's easy to find a place 200 feet from trail that nobody can see, and at that range, there isn't much to see. I would recommend a poncho if you really want privacy. Yes, people will know what you are doing, but they won't be able to see any naked body parts.