PDA

View Full Version : looking for advice on starting in feb. in pa

Whitedevil
01-08-2015, 19:21
hey all. love this site and all the info thru out it. so i just wanted to ask u guys would it be stupid to start in PA in feb going south, iwant to hike until april (when i start working) it would 3 of us my wife and my dog (bull- terrier) . we love the outdoors and really wanna get away from ny and all its b.s. will it be to cold for the 1st time on The AT in feb formy dog is my biggest concern. he got botty's and im getting hima pack.hes well trained. this is something that ive been ithching to do after camping in woods around here for 3 weeks. it was cold. but we survived..lol sorry if i sound like an idiot im just trying to get things figured out before next month. so any tips pointers or just let me kno im just crazy. need advice. thank you :) plan on stealth camping with tent and tarp ect

Wolf - 23000
01-08-2015, 19:52
I've done a similar hike 5 times. I did the PA - Harps Ferry, WV stretch in December. After the holidays, picked the trail back up and hiked down to Georgia. I use to do it every winter. I would not suggest taking your dog. If you get hit with ice/snow, even a few inches, his paws are not going to be able to take it. It is not like home where you can just take him in at night when he gets cold. Even if he is an outside dog, hiking 15 miles a day is just not good for him/her.

Wolf

Whitedevil
01-08-2015, 20:14
yea thats what i was afraid of. just cant leave him for a month or 2 so ill probally wait till i better time of year because that alone would ruin the hike, and he doesnt have much of a coat being short haired , thought maybe a jacket ,booties and an emergency type of heater for him, but i think a nice warm hike onthe AT would be alot better and safer for him. thanks . think i will wait do u think march would be okay or still to cold?

Slo-go'en
01-08-2015, 20:49
What kind of weather do you have in Binghamton in March? It's not going to be much different anywhere else on the AT.

Whitedevil
01-08-2015, 21:13
kinda hard to tell i mean last week it was in the 40's now where down to minus 10. march is usallly i dunno like 20's 30's, i thiink middle of march should start picking up temps. global warming..

saltysack
01-08-2015, 21:53
Try a weekend winter hike....test the water before jumping in.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk