PDA

View Full Version : Spouse visit, which trail town TN area?

Ruffdude
01-09-2015, 16:30
Where can I find the combination of trailtown or short walk to town from the trail for me, decent hotel (think Best western, Holiday Inn express level accommodations), and airport nearby where wife can easily get to said town via shuttle or taxi?

Rental car is a possibility but we would rather do with out.
Interesting local sites to explore while I zero for a day or two.
Good food.

An uninformed look led us to Johnson city/Bristol, TN. area, something it that general vicinity of the A.T. is our preliminary thoughts unless someone has a better suggestion.

Thanks.

No Directions
01-09-2015, 16:48
Gatlinburg. She could fly into Knoxville and catch a shuttle to Gatlinburg. You could get off the trail at New Found Gap in GSMNP. It's too far to walk but you could easily thumb a ride from there. Lots of things to see and do in Gatlinburg.

dmax
01-09-2015, 16:55
Have her fly into Tri cities and meet you in erwin. Hot springs would be a great town to meet in, but a car rental would would be needed for her to get there. But it is an easy drive. A shuttle might cost too much....

bigcranky
01-09-2015, 17:11
She's going to need to rent a car, probably at Tri-Cities airport, or maybe Knoxville.

Erwin isn't bad, there's a Holiday Inn Express by the highway. But there's limited high end food in Erwin. If you want a really nice small city, Asheville, NC, is terrific - lots of stuff in walking distance downtown, including some really nice hotels and a couple of decent budget choices. Also great food and excellent beer. It's an hour from Davenport Gap via I-40.

She could meet you in Damascus, VA, and take you to Abingdon, which is a cute small town with some decent hotels and food.

Zippy Morocco
01-09-2015, 19:29
Could have her meet you in Hot Springs and then head over to Asheville.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
01-09-2015, 20:48
I would think getting on and off the trail in Hot Springs traveling to Asheville,NC, Asheville Airport easy ride back and forth to Hot Springs you can visit the Biltmore House , all the choices of the hotels that you can want in Asheville . 2012 I had to get off the trail in Hot Springs so I hitch to Asheville then went back to hot springs best two days I had off the trail.

ChefATLTCT
01-09-2015, 21:03
my vote is gatlinburg, 100s of hotels and restaurants, indoor mini golf, ripleys museum and much more. I f you like to gamble its a great scenic ride over the mountains to Cherokee.

HooKooDooKu
01-10-2015, 02:32
I would vote Gatlinburg... but with Knoxville an hour away, you better check ahead of time on what "shuttle" services are available.

I'm familiar with some shuttle services around the GSMNP itself. But I do not know of any shuttle service between Knoxville and Gatlinburg (then again, I've never needed one).

You might find the cheapest option is to fly to Knoxville and rent a car from the airport to get to Gatlinburg. That also allows your wife to come pick you up at New Found Gap just in case you have a problem thumbing your way from the AT to Gatlinburg. It's a 15 mile trip between Gatlinburg and the AT. But there are lots of people in the area, so your odds of being able to thumb your way to town is pretty high... if it's not a rainy afternoon.

Praha4
01-10-2015, 14:20
Good choices already mentioned here. My choices would be:

a. Erwin, TN. Fly in/out of Tri-Cities or Knoxville airports
b. Gatinburg, TN. Fly in/out of Knoxville. Lots of hotels, nearby entertainment in Pigeon Forge. Also a big tourist trap.
c. Hot Springs, NC. Fly in/out of Asheville. Asheville would be my vote for the city to visit.
d. Damascus, VA. Fly in/out of Tri-Cities. Bike the Creeper Trail together.

Sirsnappy09
01-10-2015, 14:52
Hot springs

Speakeasy TN
01-12-2015, 18:35
Hot Springs....... she gets the nice spa/resort and the bonus of meeting your trail family. Hike or drive up to the fire tower overlooking own an the river.

Lady Grey
01-12-2015, 19:02
Another vote for Hot Springs. In 2013 my husband flew to Asheville, rented a car, and drove to Hot Springs (only about 45 min. away). We spent the first night at Elmer's Hostel, which gave him a chance to meet some of my new hiking buddies, and then we took off for Asheville for the second night. In my opinion preferred Asheville over Gatlinburg, no contest, and much more to do in the area than there is in Erwin.

Ruffdude
01-14-2015, 13:49
Thank you all for the advice.

Tennessee Viking
01-14-2015, 15:09
The only two major airports in Tennessee near the trail are Knoxville/Alcoa and Tri-Cities in Blountville. Both have rental companies.

Nearest Greyhounds to the trail are in the downtowns of Johnston City and Bristol.

Erwin is the first trailtown in Tennessee with lodging. Next there is Roan Mountain with B&Bs and State Park cabins. Then Hampton with a short drive to Elizabethton (less than 10min drive) for lodging. Then next town will be Damascus VA with B&Bs and hostels with hotels in Abingdon VA (30minutes away). Not a whole lot going on except in the towns except for the trail resupplying, the rivers, and lakes between Erwin and Hampton. The only active towns with scenary or activities would be Abingdon and Damascus.

Asheville is another possibility. Very active. But the airport is on the south side of town and its about 30-45min drive to Sams Gap with Mars Hill just prior to the trail.

TNhiker
01-14-2015, 15:53
Nearest Greyhounds to the trail are in the downtowns of Johnston City and Bristol.

also a greyhound station in knoxville..............

Toon
01-21-2015, 02:52
Fly into asheville rent a car and meet you in hotsprings. Get a cabin, rent a hot tub, then if you need more excitement you can be in asheville in 35 minutes. Drive her up to max patch.