PDA

View Full Version : Trailhead at Deep Gap, NC

MoodyBluer
10-26-2005, 19:10
Anybody left their car at USFS 71 where it meets the AT in Deep Gap? Is there a parking area here and has anybody had any incidents of auto vandalism there?

I am hiking from Unicoi Gap to Deep Gap from Sunday thru Tuesday or Wed. and am concerned about leaving car out that long...

Marta
10-26-2005, 19:21
I hiked there last week. There were several cars parked there. We hitched out of there and the people who picked us up hadn't had any problems.

The Solemates
10-26-2005, 19:24
i think we counted some 8 "Deep Gaps" on the AT when we thru'd.

Lone Wolf
10-26-2005, 19:25
I've parked there. Nothing happened.

Gray Blazer
10-27-2005, 12:06
I've parked there several times and have seen other cars left there with no problem. You never know. Keep the car cleaned out and don't leave ANYTHING lying on the seats or the floor and keep it locked. If your car looks as beat-up as my truck, noone will bother it. Have fun!

max patch
10-27-2005, 12:53
Parked there many times with no problems.

If concerned, contact the Nantahala Hiking Club for up to date info.

Another thing to consider is to ask the campground host at Standing Indian Campground for permission to park near the amplitheatre. Then hike the 3.7 mile Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap.

manzana
10-27-2005, 14:07
The NHC website says that cars parked here have been broken into. If 10 people told me they didnt have any problem, I still wouldn't park here overnight. Maybe I'm too conservative, but why have the worry?

good luck

manzana in Austin

Marta
10-27-2005, 14:55
[QUOTE=manzana]The NHC website says that cars parked here have been broken into. If 10 people told me they didnt have any problem, I still wouldn't park here overnight. Maybe I'm too conservative, but why have the worry?

Because it's convenient and I live in the city so my car could be broken into almost any day anyway, and it's not that expensive to replace a window, and I don't leave anything valuable in it...

Lilred
10-27-2005, 16:57
Can you get up there now? I hadn't heard that they opened the road yet .....

Kerosene
10-27-2005, 21:53
Think about parking at the Standing Indian Campground and hiking the 4 miles up Kimsey Creek Trail to where it intersects the AT at Deep Gap.

MoodyBluer
10-28-2005, 16:15
Thanks all for comments...I was actually going to leave car at Deep Gap NC and get Ron Haven to shuttle me to Unicoi this weekend but time will not permit a hike that long this time around :( Instead, Josh at Hiker Hostel is going to shuttle me from the intersection of USFS 72 and the AT (Blue Ridge Gap) back down to Unicoi and I'll start there Sunday am. Anybody been on this FS road lately? Josh says it's no problem as it's been recently graded. The guidebook I have (twelfth edition 2004) says this road is nearly impassable.

Anyone hiked from Unicoi to Dicks Creek this past week? How were leaf colors? Since we are losing an hour of daylight to EST Sat night I am concerned about making the 12.6 miles from Unicoi to Deep Gap shelter before dark...I'll be carrying a tent so no big deal but I like to tent around the shelters...looks like I've got to climb & descend 3 mountains before the shelter. :D

orangebug
10-28-2005, 16:20
I hope you are joking. You will still have the same number of hours to hike after we go back to Eastern Standard Time.

The walk from Unicoi to Deep Gap Shelter is a very long 12 miles, but can be a lot of fun.

MoodyBluer
10-28-2005, 17:12
My bad...meant to say that I will lose an hour of daylight because of the switch to EST

orangebug
10-28-2005, 18:01
No, it will be exactly the same amount of time for daylight. It just shifts an hour.

I wonder if I've just taken the bait and swallowed it whole. :eek:

MoodyBluer
10-28-2005, 22:32
Yes, but my shuttle time cannot be shifted back one hour therefore the loss of daylight I was referring to...if it got dark at 7 before EST and it's dark now at 6.