PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for when you don't have a 'home base' support person

Skye15
01-09-2015, 16:50
I'll be starting my hike late March and wanted to mix in a few drop boxes with re-supplying on the trail. With my research, there are six towns I know for sure I'd like to have mail drops because of little to no supply. Problem is, family isn't on board with my planned thru-hike so probably wont get much help there. Are there other options if you don't have a home 'base' person to send you stuff? How long will places hold your package if I send things myself in advance of leaving?

I do have some supportive friends, I just don't know how reliable they would be for making sure things are mailed correctly and at the right time.

Places i was considering for drop boxes:
Nantahala Outdoor Center
Fontana Village, NC
Bland, VA
Harpers Ferry, WV
Caratunk, ME
Monson, ME

Help?

bigcranky
01-09-2015, 17:16
You can mail your own to NOC and Fontana before you leave.

If the issue is food resupply, you can make food maildrops in larger towns along the trail and mail them ahead. This is common on other trails. So, in Damascus make a mail drop and send it to Bland, and in Waynesboro make a drop for HF, and in whatever large town in southern Maine has a good grocery store you can make and ship drops for Caratunk and Monson.

This has an advantage in that you are not forced to decide *right now* what you will want to eat in Maine.

Coffee
01-09-2015, 17:19
I'm using the approach bigcranky outlined on my upcoming PCT thru hike. I only have family sending out one box with gear for the Sierras. I'm going to send the rest of my maildrops myself as I go up the trail. My family is on board with my plans but I don't want to bother them with sending boxes on a schedule and I want flexibility in what I eat since my tastes will no doubt change over time.

QHShowoman
01-09-2015, 17:56
I live in VA and am a member of the VA and MD Trail Dames. If you'd like, you can ship me your Harper's Ferry, WV and Bland, VA boxes and let me know when and where to send them to, I'd be happy to send those two out to you when you're on the trail.

MuddyWaters
01-09-2015, 23:55
Places like outfitters and hostels may hold your package a long time.
The USPS is only required to hold general delivery packages about 1 -2 weeks. They hold letters longer. Some have returned packages after less than 2 weeks, to the surprise of hikers expecting a resupply. It never hurts to call a PO and ask what their policy is, it isnt uniform for general delivery packages.

Dogwood
01-10-2015, 00:41
Some good ideas/possible solutions have been offered.

"How long will places hold your package if I send things myself in advance of leaving?"

It depends on the places you are asking to hold your package. Most USPO's hold for about 30 days although some small POs hold for shorter periods. When you mail to USPO's with your ETA written on the outside of the box, not getting anal or intensely distressed about it but simply offering your best guess, IF you are not going to show up close to your expected ETA giving a call to the specific PO that has your box AHEAD OF THAT ETA they are often willing to hold it a little longer. Don't keep these people in the dark about what you're doing though if ETAs have to be altered. It's the same with resupply boxes being held by hostels, hotels, outfitters, etc. Keep these peopel, who are doing you a favor, in your loop!

"I do have some supportive friends, I just don't know how reliable they would be for making sure things are mailed correctly and at the right time."

When I have someone mailing me resupply boxes, and I often do on most of my long distance U.S. hikes, I typically mail USPS PRIORITY FLAT RATE in med or large size PRIORITY FLAT RATE boxes that I obtain free at PO's. I prepare these boxes ahead of time by labeling with the addresses, ETAs and Hold For Hiker, and applying postage. Applying postage is easy with some stamps as this USPS mailing option has set prices for various size packages. DO NOT put tape over your stamps! All packed, sealed and labeled as well as knowing what my postage is ahead of time makes it not only more logistically simpler for me but for whoever is mailing my resupply boxes for me. Reduce their burden and responsibility! Offering someone some do re mi for their time, gas, honesty, and reliability etc sometimes goes a along way. It also involves others in the adventure which is sometimes appreciated especially from immediate family members. This can lead to family members siding with you choosing to hike! All my people have to do is drop a few boxes off at the PO at a time. Three mailed boxes for a span of about 6-8 wks trail hiking time, combined with some food buying along the way, and OUILA- food, maps, the occasional new socks, etc.

Dogwood
01-10-2015, 00:44
When mailing boxes I keep on me electronically or written in a WP paper and ink journal the contact info for those mailing and those holding my resupply boxes.

MuddyWaters
01-10-2015, 01:00
Another advantage of priority mail, is return shipping is free if a package hasnt been opened. If you dont pick up, or dont want to open it, it can be shipped home free of charge.

Coffee
01-10-2015, 09:41
Just be aware that return shipping on a priority mail package doesn't have the priority mail timing guarantee. I had a PO return a box once when I got to town when the PO was closed and did not want to wait. It took a month to get back home, but maybe this was unusual.

Sugarfoot
01-10-2015, 10:47
I often used my local UPS store to handle my mail drops. They would hold them and mail them via US Postal Service to General Delivery at the appropriate time and never charged me other than for the postage. Never had a problem. I think it helps to interest the store clerks in your hike so they feel a part of it.

Skye15
01-13-2015, 16:29
I live in VA and am a member of the VA and MD Trail Dames. If you'd like, you can ship me your Harper's Ferry, WV and Bland, VA boxes and let me know when and where to send them to, I'd be happy to send those two out to you when you're on the trail.

Thanks! I'm going to see what my options are with making it as stress free for my friends and see if one of them will take me up on the offer. If not, I may be reaching out. : )

RED-DOG
01-13-2015, 16:39
Contact " Trail Logistics.com " they offer services to people with this exact problem.
Info:
Trail Logistics.com
#435-565-1153