PDA

View Full Version : 5 weeks to hike Maine

Panhandle Slim
01-10-2015, 08:07
This summer I will have a 5 week window to hike the At starting in Gorham NH and continuing north. Looking at the months June, July , August and Sept.....Where would you place that 5 week window and why? Thanks

Traveler
01-10-2015, 08:23
Were it me, I would place that window from Mid August to Mid September (presuming a finish at Baxter). Insects like black flies and mosquitos can be a particular nuisance in June/July. Though not a guarantee, the stream/river crossings will be more manageable and the weather likely better. You will likely have some company along the way with thru hikers, which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you are looking for in terms of company or solitude.
d
s

fiddlehead
01-10-2015, 08:49
What he ^ said.

Prepare yourself for some steep trails.
That's in the heart of the steepest.

ChefATLTCT
01-10-2015, 09:44
in 2001 I hiked Stratton to Katahdin, I started on labor day weekend, great hike and weather, as far as bugs go, I must be abnormal, cause I dont seem to have very bad memories of bugs on any of my hikes. And I have been hiking the whites since i was 12 years old.

Kerosene
01-10-2015, 12:09
I would look to start as late in that window as you can. Crowds are lighter after Labor Day (at least mid-week), temps are cooler, there is less chance of afternoon T-storms and there is typically at least a solid week of Indian Summer somewhere out there, and the bugs are gone. On the downside, water levels are typically lower, daylight becomes increasingly limited, and you will likely encounter some sub-freezing temps overnight.

It took me a week to get from Gorham to Rangeley in September 2012, and then 3 weeks from there to Katahdin. I averaged about 11 miles a day at about 1.5 mph over the course of a day. I could have covered this distance a bit faster (I was waiting for a buddy to join me at several points), or I could have waited for a few days for Katahdin or other viewpoints to clear.

As fiddlehead notes, this is some of the roughest trail on the AT, both in terms of steepness but also because of the rocks and roots, which slowed my average pace by almost 1.0 mph for long sections between Gorham and Stratton. My pace ramped up from south of Caratunk to the Bigelows, and then again after Whitecap to the base of Katahdin.

peakbagger
01-10-2015, 12:11
Mid August to Mid September. Seriously consider going southbound. Make reservations in the bunkhouse at KSC, day hike the mountain and then head south. With the exception of the Kathadin day hike on the first day, the trail is far better going south for the first few days to get your trail legs in shape. If you go Northbound out of Gorham, you are lugging several days of food right into the Mahoosucs. In the 100 MW, you may have more days of food but you will burn up a few days worth prior to climbing White Cap.

Realistically anytime after mid July works> Pushing into later September cut back on the crowds but there is usually a shift in weather by late September when it can get rainy and high summits may get a bit of snow. It also is noticeably cooler in the AM.

Slo-go'en
01-10-2015, 12:33
I would push it a little later to start, end of August. Better chance of getting some good color at the end, either way you go. July and early August should be avoided as that's when we have the hazy, muggy weather and thunderstorms.

Early fall is really nice, but you do run the risk of some cold, rainy days and towards the end of September the nights get down right nippy. Every year we have a cold snap for a few days and even snow around the last week of September or first week of October.

Gorham to Andover ME is one rough section of trail. It will likely take at least 5 days to do that stretch, maybe even 6 or 7 if the weather happens to turn on you along the way. That's a lot of food to carry right at the start. Starting at Baxter is a bit easier, but since you don't qualify as a thru hiker, going up Katahdan takes a bit more planning.

4shot
01-10-2015, 12:41
if it were me, I would start last week of July and hike 'til the end of August. I hiked through Maine and climbed Katadin on 9/15 several years ago. Had several days of damp, chilly, and rain throughout the entire state (to be fair I had also several gorgeous Indian summer days as well). Had sleet and snow on top of Mt.K. The "heat" (such that it is)up there in August is actually quite comfortable to a southerner or someone from Az (I would imagine).

as others have said, be prepared to travel much slower than your typical rate.

egilbe
01-10-2015, 13:44
Its a muggy heat in August, but once you get above tree line it isn't bad. Starting anytime after the middle of July, you should be fine as far as bugs go. You still have to deal with roughest section of the AT, but that is where the fun is!