PDA

View Full Version : fall or spring hike

wolf
10-26-2005, 19:47
to all my hiker buds
im planning a hike from mass.rt 2 to bear mtn bridge ,what is the best time to go ,last week of april-first of may or last of sept first of oct. i would like to meet up with some north or south bound hikers,its in planning stage so i need some in put on weather etc,also do any body know of shuttal drivers in that area
wolf :)

Lone Wolf
10-26-2005, 19:50
Hike in the fall.

Jack Tarlin
10-26-2005, 19:56
If you go in late April/early May, you won't meet up with any thru-hikers regardless of direction, in fact, you won't meet a lot of folks, period. Be aware that it can be quite wet at this time of year, and chilly at night, so plan accordingly.

I think you're better off in late September, especially if you want to meet some other hikers, tho by then most of the thru-hikers (in both directions) will have already completed this section.

If you really want to meet and hangout with some thru-hikers, I suggest you do this stretch Northbound in mid to late July or early August; there will be plenty of folks out there heading in both directions.

For shuttle info, I suggest you check out the very extensive state-by-state list of shuttlers at www.atconf.org

smokymtnsteve
10-26-2005, 20:02
not meeting a bunch of thru hikers,,good reason to hike in the fall. :D

chris
10-26-2005, 21:35
Given the area, I'd say fall. You might get some colors. I doubt it would be spring yet in late April. However, if you want to hike in late April, the south is at its absolute best then.

tlbj6142
10-27-2005, 09:15
Its usually dryer in the fall, which makes for a more comfortable hike.

Jeff
10-27-2005, 16:40
I hiked the exact section you are asking about during the last two weeks of April '05 !!! Temps were very comfortable for hiking and really not any cooler than hiking (at higher elevation) down south that time of year.

Met maybe 10-12 section hikers during a two week period, mostly on weekends.

Mass was a bit wet but they have plenty of bog bridges.

The big benefit was NO BUGS. I cannot imagine what it is like hiking this section in the summer but I have to believe the mosquitos make it miserable.

Nicest day for me was from Salisbury,CT to S. Egremont, MA.... Riga Lean-to, Bear Mt(CT), Sages Ravine and Jug End are memorable.

LIhikers
10-28-2005, 14:15
In April of 2005 my wife and I were able to escape for a few days of hiking in that area. We used the following person, from the ATC web site, to shuttle us. (Mr.) Dana Murphy, Branford, CT, [email protected], (203) 488-1878 Call anytime. Port Clinton, PA north through New Hampshire, possibly Maine.

We only met 2 section hikers while we were out.