PDA

View Full Version : Entry into Canada

Old Hillwalker
01-10-2015, 13:12
Anyone know if there is a time limit after which a US Citizen will be allowed into Canada after getting a DWI conviction in the States?

Friend wants to know.

Traveler
01-10-2015, 14:24
Aa a matter of general policy, Canada typically does not allow people with DUIs to enter the country. There are some narrow exceptions that can apply but that gets pretty thin be. The best bet for your friend is to contact Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) by calling either (506)636-5064 or (204)983-3500 and discuss it with them.

runt13
01-10-2015, 14:39
I believe its 10 years. But would use the contacts AT Traveler posted to be sure.

RUNT ''13''

BCPete
01-10-2015, 15:52
As a matter of general policy, Canada typically does not allow people with DUIs to enter the country. There are some narrow exceptions that can apply but that gets pretty thin be. The best bet for your friend is to contact Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) by calling either (506)636-5064 or (204)983-3500 and discuss it with them.

This is what I'd suggest for sure.

Google is your friend ... from the US Embassy office in Canada website: "Anyone with a criminal record (including a drunk driving conviction) may be excluded from Canada. A waiver of exclusion may be issued but several weeks are required and a processing fee must be paid. Contact the Canadian Embassy or a Canadian Consulate in the U.S. for more information (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312E3.asp)."

http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/entering-canada.html

fredmugs
01-10-2015, 16:52
Ask 10-K on here. He had to write a letter or do something to be allowed into Canada for his PCT thru last year.

Rolex
01-10-2015, 18:43
Ask 10-K on here. He had to write a letter or do something to be allowed into Canada for his PCT thru last year.

Completely not answering your question.

I'm currently working up here in Ontario. I had to submit a letter stating my qualifications and a resume in order to get a work visa for a year. I was questioned at the border on my qualifications by a border agent.

One of the guys that was a new hire got sent up to me and only was given a 30 day work permit. The reasoning behind it was that at his skill level, that was ample time to train a Canadian National to do his job rather than not hire a Canadian.

I wish the USA would do this.
My wife came up for a visit and the question never came up about a DUI so I was unaware of that restriction. They just asked her a few questions and on she came.

Slo-go'en
01-10-2015, 18:54
I've heard the "processing fee" is like $500.

handlebar
01-10-2015, 18:54
I wonder if the US reciprocates (prevents Canadians with DUI's from entry). If not why are we sharing criminal history with Canadian government?

Dogwood
01-10-2015, 21:51
I wonder if the US reciprocates (prevents Canadians with DUI's from entry). If not why are we sharing criminal history with Canadian government?

It's a matter of national security. ;)

You don't have to ask(reask) 10-K. He already answered the OP's question(s) in PCT related threads within the past 8 months right here on WB. Search for the thread. He went into some forthright detail about his DUI and how he obtained entry at the end of his PCT thru-hike.

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-10-2015, 22:32

The US certainly wants to know if you have a criminal history before they let you in....... You should try getting a US visa for a thru hike, a very fun experience ! :rolleyes: You have to go to the US consulate for an "interview" which consists of being called up to a window after a 3 hour wait and being grilled about your reasons for wanting to travel to the US in front of the 50 or so other people sitting in the room not 10 feet behind you.
While waiting for your turn you certainly hear some interesting tales when anyone with a criminal record has to explain their history to the consular official..... better than daytime TV !!!!

Some of the questions on the visa application are truly bizarre....do you plan on committing any acts of terrorism, or engage in prostitution while in the US....!!!!

Dogwood
01-11-2015, 01:22
I would like anyone at anytime relate not being granted entrance into the U.S. based on a criminal history in sum total that consists of a simple DUI. Even known felons, depending on the felony, are granted access into the U.S. by U.S. authorities.

Traveler
01-11-2015, 08:58
There are similar laws for people crossing the border into the US, though they may be slightly more lax in some areas of law, more stringent than others.

A single DUI conviction isn't necessarily grounds to deny entry into the U.S; however, multiple DUI convictions or a DUI conviction in combination with other misdemeanor offenses can make a person inadmissible and require a waiver prior to entering the United States. However, these are not necessarily etched in stone and are looked at on a singular basis.

Sarcasm the elf
01-11-2015, 11:20

I believe this is the thead you are talking about:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/102631-Going-to-Canada-after-all

atraildreamer
01-11-2015, 13:32

You can't get that wasted on Canadian beer! :D