PDA

View Full Version : Aspirin

squeezebox
01-10-2015, 13:18
If your an older hiker, over weight, or any cardiac issues, even mild, bring a few aspirin to treat a heart attack, it could save your or someone else's life.

Damn Yankee
01-10-2015, 16:56
It needs to be low dose. 81mg

Damn Yankee
01-10-2015, 16:56
even baby aspirin will work.

OCDave
01-10-2015, 17:58

Low dose is a maintenance dose. In an individual w/chest pain or suspect heart attack- CHEW and swallow at least 324mg (1 regular strength or 4 baby aspirin).

atraildreamer
01-10-2015, 18:03

I think that dose is too low to be effective in an emergency situation. My wife had a stroke (her third) and after the rescue was called, I gave her 3 full-strength aspirin as an emergency blood thinner. The doctor said it seemed to help, as she suffered minimum ill-effects from the stroke. The doctor also gave her a clot-buster drug after she arrived at the ER. The low-dose 81 mg pill each day regimen, (which we both use), is to help prevent strokes & heart attacks.

Check with your physician.

I keep 6 full-strength aspirin tablets in an Easy-dose pill pouch in my wallet. Ditto on some next to the bed.

BE PREPARED!

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
01-10-2015, 19:36
Cardiologist moved me up to two baby aspirin a day 1 in the morning and one in the evening. While I'm hiking I always keep four large Bayer Aspirin with me at all times. It seems to be the consensus of many of us hikers with some cardiac problems that we pay attention to our bodies and most importantly to our doctor's.

BillyGr
01-10-2015, 20:55
The advantage to having the low dose (baby) ones would be the ease of chewing them as recommended for this situation (and they'd taste better than chewing a regular one, so perhaps someone would be more likely to do so)?

atraildreamer
01-11-2015, 13:42
The advantage to having the low dose (baby) ones would be the ease of chewing them as recommended for this situation (and they'd taste better than chewing a regular one, so perhaps someone would be more likely to do so)?

In a stroke or heart attack situation the last thing I would be concerned about is the taste of the medication. I used the plain, generic form of aspirin with no coating. You want the aspirin into the bloodstream and working as quickly as possible to counteract the effects of the event. Better to have a bad taste in your mouth than dying.

For day-to-day use, we get the WalMart Equate brand of 81 mg. aspirin. 2-pack of 120 pill bottles for about $4.