PDA

View Full Version : Wood stoves

bikebum1975
01-10-2015, 13:49
Hello had a question if anybody knows whether stoves like the Sierra zip stove or the emberlit are legal to use specifically on the Connecticut also other sections in New England. Yes I have a canister stove and a peak one white gas. Would like to use the woodies to in between I have heard that open fires are frowned upon and I get that no need to go into the whole leave no trace rants just would like to know if these are allowed. Couple AT hiker friends off another site have asked around but said this seems to be a grey area
thanks for any info
cheers
Jim

Damn Yankee
01-10-2015, 16:55
I don't know if a small contained stove fire would be considered an open fire like in a pit but, you would still get flying embers. I think your best bet would be to contact the forestry department maybe through email with pictures of each stove

1azarus
01-10-2015, 17:31
I asked an AMC trail maintainer in Connecticut...he said wood stoves were absolutely fine.

Abatis1948
01-10-2015, 18:13
I have used a Solo wood stove in the sun, rain and wind. A great stove, but the jury is still out for me taking it on a thru. I love the convenience of my Jetboil. BTY, No embers and the fire burns so hot that after the stove cools, all you have left are fine white ashes. Just dump the ash in the fire ring. The fire under the pot on a wood burner is no larger than the flame you get from an alcohol burner.

Slo-go'en
01-10-2015, 18:50
Woods stoves are fun, but a real pain to use much of the time. You always need a back up so why bother? After playing with various wood stoves over the years, that's the conclusion I came to.

Connie
01-10-2015, 20:24
+1

I don't want to rely on a wood stove for "hot water right now" or for a meal

If I am stuck at a campsite, I might enjoy a small wood stove fire.

Jake2c
01-11-2015, 02:04
I have a Kelly Kettle that I really like and enjoy using. I would like to take it on the AT but I think it's just to being and heavy. I am tempted though.

QiWiz
01-11-2015, 08:15
+1

I don't want to rely on a wood stove for "hot water right now" or for a meal

If I am stuck at a campsite, I might enjoy a small wood stove fire.

Yes, a wood stove is not the fastest option, but it can be the lightest, even with some backup Esbit fuel. S'all good.

bikebum1975
01-11-2015, 16:47
I have used a Solo wood stove in the sun, rain and wind. A great stove, but the jury is still out for me taking it on a thru. I love the convenience of my Jetboil. BTY, No embers and the fire burns so hot that after the stove cools, all you have left are fine white ashes. Just dump the ash in the fire ring. The fire under the pot on a wood burner is no larger than the flame you get from an alcohol burner.

Yep having used used woodgas stoves before that's what I liked about them very little ash. And far as the speed I'm not really that concerned when out camping. And yes some will say it's redundant to have both I still plan on taking a canister stove when crappy out. So weight isn't a super huge concern there

thanks for the answers just didn't wanna have a ranger come and give me a hard time

Del Q
01-11-2015, 18:23
I went no cook years ago and am happy! Simple, no stove, eat in town. TONS of no cook food. That said, have a titanium wood stove that I never used, if in certain areas I would bring that to heat water for ramen, boil water, roast grasshoppers, those kind of things.

Much prefer NO COOK

Grinch
02-23-2015, 04:11
I have the emberlit fire ant . This stove is light and burns hot and clean. Just takes twigs and a little common sense. Look I know people sometimes fuss about the whole campfire scars but I have no problem with that. The problem is the trash burnt in these fires. Don't burn plastic or tinfoil. For myself it is not camping unless you have a fire. There is not much better than sitting around a fire after a rewarding day of hiking. These wood stoves provide a safe place to burn for cooking, heat and to provide some boost to morale. They also don't scar the ground. So carry a stove or don't carry one but don't you dare complain about my wood stove on the trail as I don't need your condescending skewered views about backcountry fires. You want to eat cold food or not unwind by firelight. Keep it to yourself as I WONT listen. Take care and happen trails. ��������������

Grinch
02-23-2015, 04:11
I have the emberlit fire ant . This stove is light and burns hot and clean. Just takes twigs and a little common sense. Look I know people sometimes fuss about the whole campfire scars but I have no problem with that. The problem is the trash burnt in these fires. Don't burn plastic or tinfoil. For myself it is not camping unless you have a fire. There is not much better than sitting around a fire after a rewarding day of hiking. These wood stoves provide a safe place to burn for cooking, heat and to provide some boost to morale. They also don't scar the ground. So carry a stove or don't carry one but don't you dare complain about my wood stove on the trail as I don't need your condescending skewered views about backcountry fires. You want to eat cold food or not unwind by firelight. Keep it to yourself as I WONT listen. Take care and happen trails. 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Grinch
02-23-2015, 04:13
Happy trails. Stupid auto text!