PDA

View Full Version : tray mountain shelter GA

reverend
01-10-2015, 18:08
Wondering if anyone knows the history of this shelter. Behind it is the water source and beside it small concrete foundation. I wonder if this was site of an earlier shelter.
If so, anyone remember when I was torn down?

upstream
01-10-2015, 23:39
The first shelter, called Montray shelter, was built next to the spring in 1960, by GATC,with materials carried up by hand. The new shelter, where it is now, was built by USFS in 1971. The old one was probably torn down that same year.

I don't "remember" any of this, but it is in Friendships of the Trail, vol 1, pages 200-201, and page 273.

The shelter was "renovated" 4 or 5 years ago by GATC, with materials flown in by USFS. Supposedly, it can't be torn down and rebuilt, because it is now in wilderness.

English Stu
01-11-2015, 07:34
After a very wet day I spent a night alone in this shelter and slept along the rear wall as the rain was blowing in.The water seemed along way down but as I was already wet it didn't much matter. I recall being nervous about leaving my pack in the shelter and then thinking what a state I would be in if I didn't relocate the shelter.The next morning it was sunny and so was my smile.

Abatis1948
01-11-2015, 09:39
I would like to see a history of the whole trail in reference to the families, communities, and towns that were once located all along the trail. As I have stated before on this site, there are old cemeteries, foundations of old homesteads, and other signs of folks who lived here during the 1700’s thru the middle 1900’s. Not to mention the Native Americans who live within the boundaries of the present-day trail. It would be fun to know who they were and what happen to them and their descendants.

tiptoe
01-11-2015, 12:23
You'll find a certain amount of trail history in the ATC guidebooks. Not many thrus carry them because of the weight, but as a section hiker I find them worthwhile just for the historical and geological info. It's often quite specific, so you can read about old settlements and so on each evening for the stretch you will be hiking the next day.
https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?atcmem=1&catid=42&pcatid=0&compid=1

reverend
01-11-2015, 17:40
Thanks upstream for your comments on the history of the shelter.