PDA

View Full Version : How to Keep String (cord/rope) Tangle Free

Kc Fiedler
01-10-2015, 22:58
Reading through a few threads here recently it's come to my attention that tangled cord is an issue for many of you. When I first started learning to tarp camp, the person I learned from taught me the "cherry bomb". This is not a commonly known name (or, apparently, method) and to be honest I can't seem to find any consensus on what this method is better known as. If anyone knows, feel free to fill me in.

Anyways, if you're carrying any kind of rope, string, or cord be it for utility, bear bagging, or tie-outs on shelters it's probably a pain in your butt when it gets tangled. This simple method will save you from that annoying hassle (any of you climbers know that rope management is critical). I personally cherry bomb my Dynaglide line for bear bagging as well as all tie-outs on various shelters that I use.

Unfortunately none of these videos I am about to share are as comprehensive as I'd like. There are several tricks that can be done to more effectively cherry bomb tie-outs that are fixed on one end to a shelter. Maybe I will make a video and post it at some point but all my gear is back in Michigan at the moment. Long story short, cherry bombing can be used on cord that is free on both ends (think bear rope), or cord that is fixed (permanently attached) on one end (think guy-lines and tie-outs).

If you do it correctly you'll never have another tangled rope or cord!

Here are the links to some examples of people demonstrating this method:

Link 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4XdfQ4gzxQ)
Link 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMwUAQIjq3g) (This dude did not invent this knot, I hope he's (k)not heart broken.)

When doing this on fixed lines, start from the fixed end leaving about 8-10" between the fixture and your starting point. Once you've cherry bombed the free length of the cord, grab the foot long strand between your cherry bomb and the fixture, make a single loop, and slip it over the cherry bomb. Pull tight. Now you've got your guy-line or tie-out tangle free and neatly organized ready to be stored and used next time. << I realize this is a confusing explanation, I will try to make a video.

Feral Bill
01-10-2015, 23:09
This is new to me. Looks good for small line.

rhjanes
01-10-2015, 23:18
I call that the Figure-8. I use that on all my hammock tarp lines.
The loops he made at the very end are better than what I do.
Thanks.

Kc Fiedler
01-10-2015, 23:51
I call that the Figure-8. I use that on all my hammock tarp lines.
The loops he made at the very end are better than what I do.
Thanks.

Seems like a logical name for this method. Just remember a lot of people will confuse "figure eight" with the actual knot (as opposed to cordage storage) commonly used in climbing applications.

Feral Bill
01-11-2015, 00:13
As an old sailor and backpacker, I couldn't resist grabbing a couple of pieces of cord and trying this. Worked slicker than snot. It's fun to learn a new trick.

Dogwood
01-11-2015, 01:09
I learned what was demonstrated in the first link about how to store ropes(cords) tangle free long ago when I was the Newbie, a gopher and cutter on the ground, on the stick framing crew who's job it was to gather up and store the 100 ft plus heavy gauge electrical cords onto the truck each night and then set-up up the following morn. Kinda tough at 6 a.m. averaging 13 hrs a day six days a wk and being hungover. I loved those days.

Damn Yankee
01-11-2015, 01:38
The biggest thing is not to twist you cordage while wrapping it. Similar to putting line on a fishing reel. If you just wrap it around your hand, you are creating twist in the line