PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight canister stove windscreen - Holy Grail found

QiWiz
01-11-2015, 08:21
There has been much discussion about how to shelter a canister stove from wind, without adding weight and cumbersome accessories to your kit (bad), and without overheating the canister (very bad). Here's an idea that works well and adds only 4 grams to your carry, assuming you already carry a small CCF butt pad.

I have tried various contraptions using titanium foil and other materials I have in my shop, but I was not happy with the results (either they did not work well, they were too heavy, and/or they would be difficult to transport/store in my pack). Eventually, I had another idea, which was to use a Gossamer Gear Sitlight pad as a windscreen. I always have one with me on trail, so no added weight to use as a windscreen. If you don't hike with a GG pack, you could always get one to double as a butt pad, or use a piece of generic blue CCF instead. I added three pieces of wide 3M "Extreme Tape" which has really good adhesive to one edge of the pad. On trail, I would weigh these down with rocks to anchor the windscreen. When used as a pack backpad, these will fold away behind the pad. A piece of cord completes the setup. Total weight of the added tape and cord was 4 grams.

For testing, I used a house fan, running at high speed, positioned 3 feet away from the protected MiniMo. Not sure what the equivalent wind speed would be, but it was not fun to stand that close to the fan while observing the effects on the MiniMo in operation. It was certainly equivalent to a very windy day.

With no fan applied, I was getting a 2 cup boil with 5 grams of fuel (cold tap water with 3 ice cubes added, average of 3 boils). With the windscreen in place and the fan on, there was no trouble lighting the stove and it did not get blown out when turned down to a simmer. The flame would flicker and move a bit from time to time, but not much. With the fan running, I did two more 2-cup boil tests, using a total of 11 grams of fuel, or 5.5 grams/boil. So my rough calculation is that it takes 10% more fuel with the windscreen, but I was pretty pleased with that. Photos for ya:

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1420907308_117333.jpg

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1420907528_117334.jpg

HeartWalker
01-11-2015, 09:31
Thanks for posting I'll have to try

Abatis1948
01-11-2015, 09:53
You may have found the answer!!! I plan to purchase the MiniMo because of it’s simmer capabilities. In the mean time I am going to test a copy of this screen with all my other stoves. Why is it answers to most problems are already in full site or you are sitting on them? Butt pads are also good for foot warmers in the hammock.

1azarus
01-11-2015, 11:37
Would you use this burning esbit in a firefly stove?

Connie
01-11-2015, 12:57
One open side doesn't work for me: the wind and air movement of my experience comes in from all directions, and swirls around if one side is open.

I wouldn't want my foam pad to take flight.

QiWiz
01-11-2015, 18:16
Would you use this burning esbit in a firefly stove?

You could, if it seemed like the wind was cramping your style. :)

QiWiz
01-11-2015, 18:19
One open side doesn't work for me: the wind and air movement of my experience comes in from all directions, and swirls around if one side is open.

If the wind is not coming from a general direction, then this method would not work. If the wind gradually shifts direction, it would be easy to adjust the setup.

I wouldn't want my foam pad to take flight.

The pad is prevented from taking flight by using rocks to weigh down the three pieces of tape at the bottom. More wind, more rocks.

Miner
01-11-2015, 18:29
I use the GG Torso Pad along with a Sit pad as my sleeping pad and pack support of my ULA CDT pack. But it never occured to me to use it as a wind screen. Interesting idea, perhaps I'll try it though I rarely use my canister stove anymore. I did have a sit pad blow off the mountain never to been seen again on the PCT in SoCAL when I walked away from it for a moment just as a 30+ mph wind gust hit and away it flew. But if I'm in wind that strong, I wouldn't be using a stove given where I live. Too high of a risk of fire.

handlebar
01-11-2015, 18:46
Hmmm. Think I'll add a few duct tape tabs to my blue foam sit pad. Thanks, QiWiz.

squeezebox
01-13-2015, 12:27
But what do you sit on while you're cooking?
I cut a piece of aluminum foil from a cookie sheet, I think 6 x 14" , weighs 1 oz (-) and fits in the frame pocket of my pack flat, I will definitely add the duct tape tabs.
Thanks!

RED-DOG
01-13-2015, 12:40
Wouldn't the foam catch fire or at least melt ?

QiWiz
01-13-2015, 16:39
Wouldn't the foam catch fire or at least melt ?

No, not with a couple inches of distance all around as shown in picture.
Have done a half-dozen burns and zero problems of canister overheating or pad melting.

MuddyWaters
01-13-2015, 21:51
Double post.

MuddyWaters
01-13-2015, 21:52
What, you too busy to just hold the pad in place for the 2 min it takes to boil water?
:)

bcok
01-30-2015, 13:52
Another option:

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/KiteScreen/index.html

rocketsocks
02-19-2015, 14:42
good idea, and I already carry a sit pad.

squeezebox
02-21-2015, 23:17
What is your experience with a Soto windmaster? with or without a windscreen.

Gray Bear
02-22-2015, 06:14
Sorry to be a little off topic but what is the actual weight of you new JetBoil?

QiWiz
02-22-2015, 23:51
If you don't use some of the extra bits, you can get it down to about 13 oz. This is heavier than my usual set ups, but I could not resist trying a Jetboil that I can actually cook in and eat out of.

woodguy
02-23-2015, 01:16
Looks like a great setup!

RabbitHole
03-11-2015, 00:33
Toss the tripod and you'll break even on weight