PDA

View Full Version : SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger

jimyjam
01-11-2015, 12:15
Has anyone used a SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger for an AT Thru hike? I know from reviews that previous models were very unreliable on the AT. Some reviewers of the Gen3 model are saying that they work great in forest cover and mountainous terrain. I'm interested if anyone has used this particular version and if on the AT. I am considering buying and taking one on my 2016 thru hike and the cost of the unit and yearly subscription fees makes it costly and I don't want to waste my money!
I would also use it on other hikes too but they are usually in forest cover and somewhat mountainous at times also!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Another Kevin
01-11-2015, 22:36
I rented one for my Northville-Placid Trail trip. It worked pretty well, even in the dense forest. I begrudge the few ounces, though, particularly since I carry a real PLB when I'm doing a 'risky' hike (solo, or off trail, or deep winter - especially above tree line). But my wife likes seeing that I'm still on the move and getting the occasional "OK!" ping.

Traveler
01-12-2015, 07:37
Just as information, I use one routinely when I am alone and in terrain there aren't a lot of people around, mostly for the same reasons Another Kevin does. It provides my wife some piece of mind and allows me the chance to get help should I need it. Only degradation of signal that I have noticed is in very dense canopy, usually coupled with being surrounded by tall mountains that don't allow the device to "see" the satellites, but its rare in my experience.

Offshore
01-12-2015, 12:51
I use a Spot Gen3 for similar reasons as AT Traveler above. I also carry a Garmin GPSmap 60csx that I consider to be the gold standard for consumer handheld GPS units. When I overlay the Garmin and Spot tracks, I'm pleasantly surprised with how they agree. The only issue I see is with really dense vegetative cover - and even that is rare. The only time it really failed was when I ran around New York City with it. Lots of "canyon effect" from tall buildings, but once on the edge of and in Central Park, it was fine.

Just Bill
01-12-2015, 13:11
Keeps the wife happy, which keeps the trips happening, so I am happy enough with mine. I have yet to miss an OK signal or fail to get a reasonable enough amount of info sent to aid SAR if needed. For standard hiking I would call it a success. I wish I didn't have one, but once I got it...

I originally bought one to document speed hikes, I would call it "acceptable" for that use. I did find I missed roughly one "track" per hour when set on the 10 min tracking cycle. Even then a "miss" might be as simple as a track showing up a few hundred feet off track, or causing some GPS noise in regard to mapping my route accurately. If someone wanted to use a SPOT to show every step they take- it won't do it- but I don't think many things will without committing to full GPS Trimble style survey gear.

As mentioned though- for it's intended purpose- shoot an OK, get SAR close to you, and keep folks at home happy- it's a winner. Battery life has been good as well- easily lasting a week of tracking for me. If set to ping once an hour- it lasts longer. The only problem I seem to have is to remember to turn the thing on- it automatically shuts off after 24 hours.

I have the Gen3.

Offshore
01-12-2015, 13:25
I originally bought one to document speed hikes, I would call it "acceptable" for that use. I did find I missed roughly one "track" per hour when set on the 10 min tracking cycle. Even then a "miss" might be as simple as a track showing up a few hundred feet off track, or causing some GPS noise in regard to mapping my route accurately. If someone wanted to use a SPOT to show every step they take- it won't do it- but I don't think many things will without committing to full GPS Trimble style survey gear.

As mentioned though- for it's intended purpose- shoot an OK, get SAR close to you, and keep folks at home happy- it's a winner. Battery life has been good as well- easily lasting a week of tracking for me. If set to ping once an hour- it lasts longer. The only problem I seem to have is to remember to turn the thing on- it automatically shuts off after 24 hours.

I have the Gen3.

Just to add a note regarding using a Spot for creating a track log. The basic tracking interval included with the service is 10 minutes. If you need more frequent intervals for a higher resolution track log, you can add more frequent tracking options when you sign up for service. There are two packages - Enhanced Tracking which goes down to a 5 minute interval ($49.99/yr) and Extreme Tracking which goes down to a 2.5 minute interval ($149.99 per year).

jimyjam
01-12-2015, 23:49
My use would be for sending "ok" home and emergency services should the unfortunate need arise :-/ My spouse and mother are almost insisting!

CarlZ993
01-13-2015, 00:08
I used the Gen 2 version on my 2013 AT hike. Had the Gen 1 prior to that (gave it to the local Scout troop I'm affiliated with). I think there was only 1 time that I can recall that the SPOT didn't work when the batteries were good. My batteries went dead in VA & I didn't know it. My wife told me that she was no longer getting the signals & asked me why the stopped. I replaced them while I was still on the phone with her & she immediately got the signal. I wish there was a 'Low Battery' indicator. I only turn it on for 'OK' signals at the end of the day. Again, it keeps the wife happy. If the wife isn't happy, no one is happy.

Just Bill
01-13-2015, 11:21
Just to add a note regarding using a Spot for creating a track log. The basic tracking interval included with the service is 10 minutes. If you need more frequent intervals for a higher resolution track log, you can add more frequent tracking options when you sign up for service. There are two packages - Enhanced Tracking which goes down to a 5 minute interval ($49.99/yr) and Extreme Tracking which goes down to a 2.5 minute interval ($149.99 per year).

I saw that- but my thought/experience-
There were enough times that getting 6 pings per hour got in each others way so to speak, I'm not sure how the software handles 'backed up" messages. Most of the errors I noted seemed to have to do with one message attempting to send and interfering with the next scheduled ping.

Unless you were running, I can't imagine needing more than 10 minute intervals? Even then...

It's grates hard enough paying the $150 per year.

That said- I'd be curious if you or anyone found benefit or even improved service going this route. Perhaps the additional tracks comes with some software and other benefits that make it perform better overall. But for the average user (and even the average speed hiker) I don't think it's needed.

Just Bill
01-13-2015, 11:32
My use would be for sending "ok" home and emergency services should the unfortunate need arise :-/ My spouse and mother are almost insisting!

I would add- most do the on/off thing and send a morning/evening or once a day OK.
The GEN3 model has such an improved battery life that I would highly suggest you simply put on tracking and leave the device on. You can decrease the tracking times to save battery life if needed.

1- If you actually do need to send an SOS, you may not have time to wait for it to fire up and acquire a signal.
2- If you fall and injure yourself and cannot send an SOS (unconscious, ect.) when your loved one sees your OK doesn't arrive, if you don't have on tracking the only thing SAR has to go on is your last OK message. At least with tracking on your position is known within 1/2 hour or less.
3-It is reasonable to assume that if you have fallen, it's in a bad spot (canyon, hollow, ect.) and the odds of sending a successful SOS signal are worse.

More importantly- say you are down and out- the device will continue to track your location and send out pings for 24 hours from when you first started tracking. Your loved one sees your missing OK message- but then what?

Instruct your loved one on how to access the tracking page, what the device numbers are, how to contact spot (to assist SAR), and how to give out GPS co-ordinates. (My wife just sees them as a bunch of numbers). Everyone focus's on the SOS feature, but the more realistic scenario is a missed OK message and a loved one initiating SAR as a result.

If you're going to carry the damn thing, and pay for the damn thing- might as well actually use it to it's full potential.
And if your loved one is insisting on it's use- best hold them accountable and put them to work. :)