PDA

View Full Version : water at wapiti and doc's knob shelter???

siouxdog
10-26-2005, 21:05
anyone know if there is water at these two shelters. i know there usually is but wasn't sure with it supposedly being dry for a while up there. tks, siouxdog

flyfisher
10-26-2005, 21:16
anyone know if there is water at these two shelters. i know there usually is but wasn't sure with it supposedly being dry for a while up there. tks, siouxdog
There was plenty of water at Doc's Knob in April. That does not help much. The water is in between large boulders to the right of the shelter. There are several places where the rocks have been removed and a small pool forms.

There are probably a lot of other places where a tube could be snaked between the boulders to get some water, like a long straw.

GoldenBear
09-08-2015, 21:39
I'll give an answer to the question of water at Wapiti, as I was there last week.

There are two approach trails from the A.T. to this shelter, but only one has a sign stating "Shelter." The sign is almost in the middle of The Trail, but its words face NOBOs. If you think you are near Wapiti and see a sign stating "Shelter," then that's the approach trail I'm referring to.

The shelter is a few hundred feet up this approach trail. If you go away from the shelter, from where this sign is, for about ten feet, you'll find a well-flowing creek with fairly clear water. This despite the fact that the area is pretty dry right now.