PDA

View Full Version : All black backpacks

mankind117
01-12-2015, 11:32
Does anyone use a backpack that is all or mostly black? If so any issues with sun, like the thing gets too hot or is it not an issue. I bought an all black backpack without thinking about this.

Connie
01-12-2015, 12:11
I have only had all black backpacks: Lowe Alpine Attack, Lowe Summit, Timbuk2 Especial Tres Cycling Backpack 2014.

I recently ordered HMG Summit w/mesh pocket. Black. I have heard the cuben pack color will rub off, but I have a black quarter-zip top and a black rain jacket.

Maybe if you hike in hot weather, you might consider a reflective pack cover. Find shade, if you set it down.

I avoid all hot weather, preferring mountains and forests for my hiking.

Never been a problem. No overheated contents. No fading.

Cadenza
01-12-2015, 14:43
I have three all black packs.
A 20 year old original Dana Design "Bomb Pack," a three year old Arcteryx Naos 85, and a two year old Arcteryx Altra 65.

I had the same concerns but it has never been an issue with any of them

Miner
01-12-2015, 15:04
Black might be a minor issue (hotter water, oilier cheese, candy bars melting faster) out west where you can often hike above treeline or in areas with little vegetation where you spend hours in direct sunlight. But back east with all the forest cover, I doubt you'll notice anything.

Grimelowe
01-12-2015, 15:28
I have an all black GVP4 (prior to Gossamer Gear) pack that is 14 years old... I haven't had a problem with it on the AT. I'm rarely exposed long or above treeline though...

garlic08
01-12-2015, 18:43
I've used black packs in very hot, desert conditions and never even thought about it. I haven't noticed any problems. If there's such a thing as a shady side, I'll put water and perishables in the side pocket on that side, but that has little to do with pack color.

Deadeye
01-13-2015, 00:36
only trouble I've had with black or dark packs is that stuff gets lost... it's dark in there

Jim Adams
01-13-2015, 01:41
OMG, you bought an assault pack?...........is it registered?