PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Section Hike

mmais68569
01-12-2015, 20:31
Going to do Mt. Washington to Delaware Water Gap this year. Wondering if first week of May is to early to start at Mt. Washington & go SOBO.

Mike ( Mr. Mean)

Slo-go'en
01-12-2015, 20:36
Way too early, that would be totally insane. Start at the DWG and go NOBO instead.

TEXMAN
01-14-2015, 16:08
Mike, I live in Texas so I know how hard it is for us southern folks to even imagine it still being cold in May. When I tried to hike in Maine in May a few years ago we hit snow at 3,000 feet and were waist deep when we turned around.

Cookerhiker
01-14-2015, 20:43
Going to do Mt. Washington to Delaware Water Gap this year. Wondering if first week of May is to early to start at Mt. Washington & go SOBO.

Mike ( Mr. Mean)

Way too early, that would be totally insane. Start at the DWG and go NOBO instead.

Or hike SOBO but start at Washington around August 15. Depending on your pace, you might catch some early fall colors.

bigcranky
01-15-2015, 08:19

In a single word: Yes.

It's far too early. Still winter up there, trending into mud season, when the trail crews would prefer that you not be on the trail at all.

May 1 is a decent time to start at DWG, though.

Thorfinn
01-15-2015, 20:53
Yes, it's way too early as previous posters have said. Additionally, you must be aware of high water levels at fords from snow melt and, especially, black flies. This is the State Insect of Maine and can make life miserable and even dangerous. I know in Vermont the black fly season is not like in Maine. I am not sure about New Hampshire but I certainly wouldn't hike in Maine before July 1 without checking with local sources. Sometimes they are so bad you can't even breathe without sucking them in. The taste is not pleasant.

Thinspace
01-16-2015, 13:43
They're still skiing in Tuckermans Ravine in May.

One Half
01-19-2015, 11:32
Not much snow this year except for man made stuff here in NH. I have seen years where May was pretty much devoid of snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk