PDA

View Full Version : How many NH 4000-footers are on the AT?

SavageLlama
10-26-2005, 23:06
Of the 48 NH peaks over 4000 feet, how many does the AT hit? That is, how many does the AT officially cross the summit of?

Here's a list.. http://www.amc4000footer.org/wm4.htm

The Old Fhart
10-27-2005, 07:15
At a quick glance it looks like you'd hit exactly 1/3 of the 48. You'd also come close to several more. Mt. Liberty is 0.3 miles off the A.T., Galehead is 0.5 beyond the hut, 0.1 to Zealand, four more-Eisenhower, Monroe, Jefferson, Adams, are doable by taking what would be considered "blue-blazed" (that's not the actual color used) loops or slightly longer up and back. A few others like N. Twin are an easy 1.3 off the A.T. as well.

Tramper Al
10-27-2005, 09:54
At a quick glance it looks like you'd hit exactly 1/3 of the 48. You'd also come close to several more. Mt. Liberty is 0.3 miles off the A.T., Galehead is 0.5 beyond the hut, 0.1 to Zealand, four more-Eisenhower, Monroe, Jefferson, Adams, are doable by taking what would be considered "blue-blazed" (that's not the actual color used) loops or slightly longer up and back. A few others like N. Twin are an easy 1.3 off the A.T. as well.

I disagree a little, as I am counting only 14 directly on the trail, not 16, but it really depends on what you mean by "on the AT".

The NH 4K peaks directly on the trail, in order, are:
Moosilauke
South Kinsman
North Kinsman
Lincoln
Lafayette
Garfield
South Twin
Washington
Madison
Wildcat D
Wildcat A
Carter Dome
South Carter
Middle Carter

Some others not mentioned that require only a very short detour are:
Pierce (a matter of a few paces)
Monroe (5-10 minutes RT)
Moriah (5 minutes maybe)

Some more not yet mentioned but within maybe about 1.5 miles include:
Cannon
Flume
Jackson
Bond

Some others could easily be hiked from the AT with a bit more of a side trip:
Owl's Head
West Bond
Bondcliff
Tom
Field
Willey
Isolation

Tramper Al
10-27-2005, 10:02
Shoot, I hate not being able to edit! I did make an error above, as Jackson and Pierce are both on the trail. I blue blazed up Crawford Path the first time to keep my Dad company in some foul weather, so that has fogged my memory a bit. So, I do agree with O.F.'s count of 16!

rickb
10-27-2005, 10:17
Moriah (5 minutes maybe)

I remember being confused by whether or not Moriah was actually on the AT when I was last back there about a year ago.

My memory is foggy here, but seems to me I recall that it looked like Moriahwas on the AT on one of my maps, but the white blazes didn't go over the top-- or that the white blazes did go over the top while the map showed it going around.

Not sure which.

Edit: Or was that Mount Height?

the goat
10-27-2005, 10:29
I remember being confused by whether or not Moriah was actually on the AT when I was last back there about a year ago.

My memory is foggy here, but seems to me I recall that it looked like Moriahwas on the AT on one of my maps, but the white blazes didn't go over the top-- or that the white blazes did go over the top while the map showed it going around.

Not sure which.

Edit: Or was that Mount Height?
the summit of moriah is a short blue blaze from the AT.
well worth too.:D

The Old Fhart
10-27-2005, 10:35
For a photo in the WhiteBlaze gallery of what the A.T. junction near Mt. Moriah use to look like, go here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=2448&original=1&c=665&userid=1531). The summit is actually about 150 feet from this junction on a spur trail that goes up a very steep rocky chute. The snow covered white sign in the center of the photo points right toward the summit.

Mt. Height, one of my favorite mountains, was the cover shot on the 2003 ALDHA/ATC Companion with me standing there at sunrise, is on the A.T.

lobster
10-27-2005, 10:51
Does the trail go over the actual peak of Madison?

The Old Fhart
10-27-2005, 10:52
Mt. Madison-yup

TJ aka Teej
10-27-2005, 11:06
Here's a situation where official options to the AT route should be established. I think the hike arounds *and* the over the tops - if inside the corridor - should be valid AT routes.

The Old Fhart
10-27-2005, 11:12
Basically the loops over the peaks in the Presidentials are harder and longer. I see no reason (like on Moxie Bald or the Lemon Squeezer) why there couldn't be a choice depending on the weather-or your size! :D

Tramper Al
10-27-2005, 11:38
Yes, the White Blazed route bypasses the summits of Eisenhower, Monroe, Jefferson and Adams. However, when I hiked the AT through the Presidentials, I wanted to reach every summit on the 4K list AND walk every white blaze, so I hiked each peak out and back from the same point on the AT as I would any shelter spur or blue blaze lookout. This was pretty easy for these four peaks and it did not add a lot of extra time or miles to do so.

But then, I've never taken a foul weather bypass, never having settled on my own definition of foul weather, for purism purposes.

rickb
10-27-2005, 13:04
Mt. Height, one of my favorite mountains, was the cover shot on the 2003 ALDHA/ATC Companion with me standing there at sunrise, is on the A.T.

That's the one I was thinking about. The views towards the Presidentials are great. And that photo was supurb!

It could have been the Trails Illustrated Map that showed the AT bypassing the summit. Not that it matters-- just follow the white blazes over the top.

Jeff
10-27-2005, 16:47
I recall that Mt Height is over 4000' but not listed on the NH4000's. What is the rule that keeps it off the list????

The Old Fhart
10-27-2005, 17:34
Sorry, my speyling sucks, it is Mt. Hight (4675 ft). The basic rule is that to qualify for the 4000 footer list a mountain must have a sag of at least 200 feet elevation between it and any of the neighboring mountains. Mt. Hight is seperated from Carter dome by a ridge that has less than a 200 foot dip. On the other side, Zeta Pass is 3890 ft so that isn't a problem.

Because it isn't a 4000 footer, Mt. Hight doesn't get as much traffic as Carter Dome. The views from Carter Dome are restricted by trees, etc, but Mt. Hight has 360° views. That is one reason I go to Mt. Hight to photograph sunrises.

Peaks
10-27-2005, 18:48
I recall that Mt Height is over 4000' but not listed on the NH4000's. What is the rule that keeps it off the list????

Probably the col isn't low enough, so there is not enough climb from the adjacent 4000'er.

SavageLlama
10-29-2005, 09:25
Tramper and Phart- thanks for the info. Didn't realize I've already done 16 of the 48. :banana

SavageLlama
10-29-2005, 09:45
Some others could easily be hiked from the AT with a bit more of a side trip:
Owl's Head

I believe there's actually no trail to the peak of Owl's head and you have to cross a river (or large stream) with no bridge. So I think it's considered one of the tougher ones to bag.

poison_ivy
10-29-2005, 11:41
I believe there's actually no trail to the peak of Owl's head and you have to cross a river (or large stream) with no bridge. So I think it's considered one of the tougher ones to bag.

You can follow a trail most of the way up Owl's Head except for the mile-long trip up the slide to the summit, which is officially unmaintained but easy to follow. There are three stream crossings if you go the traditional route from Lincoln Woods but most of the trail until the slide is flat and easy-going. I suppose some might consider it difficult due to the mileage (18 miles roundtrip...) but it isn't particularly difficult.

- Ivy

TJ aka Teej
10-30-2005, 17:12
Excellent resource regarding peak bagging in the Northeast:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/