PDA

View Full Version : shuttles & such

squeezebox
01-13-2015, 07:41
So what's the general price range of shuttles, (not from family or friends) And what does the bucket of food in the middle of the hundred mile wilderness cost?
Thanks !

RED-DOG
01-13-2015, 16:17
The average cost of a good reputable shuttle would be between $1.25 to $1.50 per mile, but I have also heard of folks paying as much as $3.00 Per Mile, Actually I think it all depends on which state and Trail head your trying to get to, the roads that leads to some trail heads are nothing more than a cow trail and others are paved two lane roads, so yeah it all depends on the Variables that's involved.

Dang I have thru-hiked the AT three times and I have never seen that Bucket of food in the middle of the 100 mile wilderness, I have always been able to get sufficient supplies in Monson, ME but I also had to stop at the Abol Bridge Store, Today theirs people that actually will shuttle food drops out to the 100 MW " don't know what the price is or who does it.
in 2012 I got a 6 day supply in Monson for a little over $100 dollars ( in my opinion this is hardest and most expensive resupply on the AT ) if I was going to do the AT again I would have a mail drop in Monson, ME " even if it was the only drop I had " , plus I stopped at the Abol Store and spent roughly 20 dollars their basically on junk food.

P.S I have never heard of a bucket of food in the 100 MW unless you carry it in yourself, they used to be a Hostel called White House Landing now they feed me pretty dang good, that's the closest I have gotten to a bucket of food.

swjohnsey
01-13-2015, 17:15
The other hostel at Monson, not Shaws, does it.

SteelCut
01-13-2015, 17:21
Google is your friend...

http://100milewilderness.info/services/

"Resupply options in the 100 Mile Wilderness at the KIW road (Gulf Hagas) and Jo-Mary logging road." Lower down on the page it mentions $25 (for guests) for doing a resupply drop at Jo Mary road.

MuddyWaters
01-13-2015, 21:44
Shuttle can depend on how far the driver has to go. A driver that is 1 mile from your starting or ending point, will drive significantly less than one that lives 25 miles away in the wrong direction. Plan $ 2/ mile is good. Road miles. A 60 mile trip for you, is 120 + for the driver. 2.5 hrs time + gas , insurance, and wear and tear. Some mountain areas 120 mile rt might take 3-4 hrs. I wouldnt consider it as a job if I didnt net 15+ per hr after expenses, neither would most working folks.