PDA

View Full Version : gloves

squeezebox
01-13-2015, 13:26
I'm planning a May 1 Harpers Ferry start. I bought a nice pair of warm gloves at the recent Rei sale. wt 6.4 oz. My run of the mill nylon work gloves weigh 2.4 oz. my thin poly gloves I think I remember 1.6 oz. So the bottom line is, I don't think I need the heavy gloves for May 1.

swjohnsey
01-13-2015, 15:21
Probably not.

Slo-go'en
01-13-2015, 17:14
Yeah, probably not. But I have wished for waterproof mitten shells that time of year. Get one of those all day 50 degree drizzles and the hands can get really cold. Gloves help, but not so much when their soaking wet.

swjohnsey
01-13-2015, 17:17
Zpack makes some cuben mitten shells.

kayak karl
01-13-2015, 17:22
could always wear socks on hands if you get a chilly morn.

1azarus
01-13-2015, 17:31
could always wear socks on hands if you get a chilly morn.

that's what i do -- i carry a fairly thin pair of gloves, and use a pair of wool socks over if colder. +1 on the rain mitts, or carry some plastic newspaper sleeves.

saltysack
01-13-2015, 18:20
that's what i do -- i carry a fairly thin pair of gloves, and use a pair of wool socks over if colder. +1 on the rain mitts, or carry some plastic newspaper sleeves.

Great idea...never thought about using the bread bags I use for camp shoes and now rain mitts also...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miner
01-13-2015, 22:19
I normally just carry my Mountain Laurel Designs eVent rain mitts (1 oz weight) for 30F or warmer. They are warm enough on a cold morning and also help with cold rain. I use to carry glove liners until they got wet while dealing with a strong cold wind which numbed my fingers. So I much prefer rain mitts. For colder weather, I use a lightweight glove under them. 6oz is just too heavy to carry short of winter.

rocketsocks
01-14-2015, 00:06
Got a couple tyvek "Jimi Jam" over mitts, they work great! Only one thing worse than froze wet fingers to drive you off the trail...cold wet feets. Stay dry out there boys and girls, your hike may depend on it.

Dogwood
01-14-2015, 01:43
For May 1 AT NOBO temps I roll with light nylon running gloves and hike with my hands in my vest or rain jacket pockets if the temps suddenly plummet for short periods or wet weather is encountered. With my colder very early morning starts and hiking forays into the well after sunset hrs light wt nylon running gloves are often a part of my kit. These conditions are one of the main factors why I usually opt for rain/wind jackets and outer wear with hand pockets. For march or April going AT NOBO when the temps are much colder and the wet weather risks raises the stakes I rock a WP Breathable Mountain Laurel Designs eVent mitt shells with a warmer thicker liner glove or mitt underneath.

squeezebox
01-14-2015, 11:30
So where do I find the " Jimi jams" ?