PDA

View Full Version : Multi-USB Wall Charger-Advice Needed!

Sprout78
01-13-2015, 19:46
I would like to minimize my time in town on my thru-hike, but I have a number of items I may need to charge. I'd prefer to have a good charge on an item within a two hour time frame. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a two-port light wall charger? It needs to charge the following items:

I-Pod Nano
Kindle Paperwhite
Samsung Galaxy 4 Phone
Brunton Battery Pack

Any suggestions on USB Chargers that worked for them, didn't fry their equipment, and didn't start any fires :) would be much appreciated!

alexron42
01-14-2015, 01:33
I've used the 4-Port USB Wall Charger w/ Rotating AC Plug 4.2A from Monoprice for the last few months and have been happy with it. It is slightly larger 3.3" x 2.4" x 0.8" and weighs 3.4 oz but I've been happy with it. They also make a 2 Port USB Wall Charger 3.4A but you couldn't quick charge the phone and battery pack at the same time with it. Its 1.7" x 1.1" x 2.1" no spec on the weight. If you're going to get cables from Monoprice I recommend getting the premium ones.

4-Port USB Wall Charger w/ Rotating AC Plug 4.2A http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=11886
2 Port USB Wall Charger 3.4A for AppleŽ and Android™ http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=11007

Starchild
01-14-2015, 10:34
I had my share of rechargeable on the trail and here is what I found:

I settled on a 2.1A/1A charger from ?could not tell you? to charge 3 devices (iPhone, Steripen, Battery pack), it was white and had folding plug 'prongs'. All 3 devices that I carried IIRC could only charge at 1A, however I had a cable that split into 3 USB connections of differing types which allowed me to plug 2 x 1A devices into the 2.1A slot. Now I don't know if they split the power down the middle, but it did seem to change both together well.

I also used a computer's USB port where available for a extra outlet on occasion(remember that plugging in a phone or pad could attempt to sync it to the computer, so better plugging in dumb devices to that) as well as someone's secondary unused USB port . Make sure that the one you plan to bring fits well in the outlet and the USB plugs well into the sockets, consider you may at times need to hang a device by it's cables.

It is better to have extra battery power then have to conserve (I ended up getting a larger battery pack during my thru), it just makes the expedience more enjoyable not to have to worry about running out of juice on the trail. Make sure the battery pack is enough for 2x the length between recharges. This will also allow you to skip a recharge if needed or do a partial recharge and move on quicker. It also allows you to help others recharge their devices if you wish. That last one is important if you are keeping in txting communication with trail friends and if you are going into town for a overnight there is no reason to not share.

Partial recharges are more efficient and shorter then full ones. To get that last 10-20% takes a long time, accept 80% as full if you need to move on or else you are wasting time. It is also generally more efficient to recharge a primary device rather then a battery pack (reason is there is loss of efficiency in using one battery to recharge another), but that varies also depending on charge level and what rate a device can charge.

Battery packs may be the only thing you wish to leave charging unattended at times, consider that in your town 'quickie' stops. If you suspect this is the case you may wish to fully recharge your devices from the battery pack in camp the night before, carrying most of them near 100% full and your battery pack mostly depleted. This way you can leave the battery pack unattended to recharge while having the other items secure. Try not to fully deplete any battery, if you must, do it close to a recharge to minimize the time spent at this level of charge (Li battery chemistry here, their life is shortened as they are near 0%, also shortened somewhat near 100%).

msumax1985
01-14-2015, 13:34
Try not to fully deplete any battery, if you must, do it close to a recharge to minimize the time spent at this level of charge (Li battery chemistry here, their life is shortened as they are near 0%, also shortened somewhat near 100%).

Starchild, thanks for the input. Sounds like you are very knowledable on the subject. Can you expand on this? I thought it was best to charge to 100%. Then run it almost to 0% before recharge. I thought short charges (ie from 50% back up to 75%) would somehow make the battery hold less over time. But I really dont know. Much of my memory might be flawed from old technology. What charging habits will hurt the battery over time? What habits will help? TIA.

rocketsocks
01-14-2015, 14:21
I had my share of rechargeable on the trail and here is what I found:

I settled on a 2.1A/1A charger from ?could not tell you? to charge 3 devices (iPhone, Steripen, Battery pack), it was white and had folding plug 'prongs'. All 3 devices that I carried IIRC could only charge at 1A, however I had a cable that split into 3 USB connections of differing types which allowed me to plug 2 x 1A devices into the 2.1A slot. Now I don't know if they split the power down the middle, but it did seem to change both together well.

I also used a computer's USB port where available for a extra outlet on occasion(remember that plugging in a phone or pad could attempt to sync it to the computer, so better plugging in dumb devices to that) as well as someone's secondary unused USB port . Make sure that the one you plan to bring fits well in the outlet and the USB plugs well into the sockets, consider you may at times need to hang a device by it's cables.

It is better to have extra battery power then have to conserve (I ended up getting a larger battery pack during my thru), it just makes the expedience more enjoyable not to have to worry about running out of juice on the trail. Make sure the battery pack is enough for 2x the length between recharges. This will also allow you to skip a recharge if needed or do a partial recharge and move on quicker. It also allows you to help others recharge their devices if you wish. That last one is important if you are keeping in txting communication with trail friends and if you are going into town for a overnight there is no reason to not share.

Partial recharges are more efficient and shorter then full ones. To get that last 10-20% takes a long time, accept 80% as full if you need to move on or else you are wasting time. It is also generally more efficient to recharge a primary device rather then a battery pack (reason is there is loss of efficiency in using one battery to recharge another), but that varies also depending on charge level and what rate a device can charge.

Battery packs may be the only thing you wish to leave charging unattended at times, consider that in your town 'quickie' stops. If you suspect this is the case you may wish to fully recharge your devices from the battery pack in camp the night before, carrying most of them near 100% full and your battery pack mostly depleted. This way you can leave the battery pack unattended to recharge while having the other items secure. Try not to fully deplete any battery, if you must, do it close to a recharge to minimize the time spent at this level of charge (Li battery chemistry here, their life is shortened as they are near 0%, also shortened somewhat near 100%).
here's the one I have, not sure of it's long term affect on the battery, but it chargers pretty quick @ 2.1 amp/hr...it was recommended, as a bundle purchase for the Anker Battery pack I have.

http://www.amazon.ca/Generation-SlimTalk-PowerGen-PowerBot-Universal/dp/B00FQSHU54

rocketsocks
01-14-2015, 14:21
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81m-CQDltML._SL1500_.jpg

rocketsocks
01-14-2015, 14:25
Input Voltage Range: AC 100V - 240V / Rapid Power: 5V 2.1A / Brand-new / ! Extra long 6.5 Ft Cord !

looking further at the description it uses the term brand new, which to me suggest some level of degradation when charger at this level of amperes...I don't think you'll be able to get away from that as it is a trade-off and the nature of the beast.

Slo-go'en
01-14-2015, 15:26
Li-ion batteries have a built in controller IC with prevents it from being discharged below a specific voltage so it doesn't get damaged. The device your charging also has a controller which sets the amount of current needed to charge the specific battery in the device. Just because you have a 2 A charger doesn't mean it will charge the battery any faster if all the battery can handle is a 1/2 amp charge current. A high capacity battery can take a larger charge current then a small capacity battery, but the actual charge time will be roughly the same. Charges do not degrade over time unless subjected to extreme heat.

Rain Man
01-14-2015, 15:45
Also, in order to avoid having to unplug anything that is already plugged into an outlet, I take a very short (6") extension cord with 3 sockets on the end.

rocketsocks
01-14-2015, 16:11
Li-ion batteries have a built in controller IC with prevents it from being discharged below a specific voltage so it doesn't get damaged. The device your charging also has a controller which sets the amount of current needed to charge the specific battery in the device. Just because you have a 2 A charger doesn't mean it will charge the battery any faster if all the battery can handle is a 1/2 amp charge current. A high capacity battery can take a larger charge current then a small capacity battery, but the actual charge time will be roughly the same. Charges do not degrade over time unless subjected to extreme heat.
Thanks for that clarification Slo-goin', I guess that's why they paired em.

rocketsocks
01-14-2015, 16:13
Also, in order to avoid having to unplug anything that is already plugged into an outlet, I take a very short (6") extension cord with 3 sockets on the end.
Yup, that was a good call, glad you had one when we hiked together...and should be added to everyone's kit with charging requirements, as so many do.

Slo-go'en
01-14-2015, 18:29
I should add if your charger is undersized for the battery it will take longer to charge.

Sprout78
01-14-2015, 23:48
I am so appreciative of everyone's advice!
Starchild-I like that you included some input on town visits and leaving devices unattended. Also, I didn't think about the "smart" devices and plugging them into other people's computers, as it's been awhile since I had to worry about that. I think that the charging percentages you gave were helpful. So key! Thank you!
I ended up getting a 2.1A and 1.0A wall charger. My I-pod and Kindle Paperwhite keep their charges for a long time, so I will charge those when I stop. My phone uses a ridiculous amount of juice, even in Airplane mode. I have the WhiteBlaze Ap, Hiker Ap, Sunrise Ap, bank and email Aps, camera, TripAdvisor, among other useful stuff on there. I use the Brunton to charge the phone, mostly. So, I will be plugging these two items in every time I go to town, thus the two port charger.
I already have the Brunton, and it is a couple of years old. I'm sure there are new and awesome chargers out there, but I own this one already. Also, it only weights 5.5 oz.
I am so impressed with the advice you have given me. I really can't thank you enough!

Slackanater
02-04-2015, 08:17
Another good brand is Anker. They make a wide variety of adapters. They are top of the line but are a little heavy. Check out this funny video we made on the electronics that we will be taking on our thru-hike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YkkepN_zKbA

RFS2001
02-07-2015, 10:25
+1 on the Anker charger/battery packs. Solid, auto-adapt to different charging protocols for apple and android, and haven't failed me yet.

soulrebel
02-07-2015, 18:46
walgrnns sells a 2 port usb charger $10-15. Combined that with a radio shack 2 AA usb charger. sometimes i'll take a 4400 lipro backup battery as well...Tech & Go USB Dual Part Wall Charger

USB dual port
ITE power supply
2.4 amp
Input: 100-240 V; 0.3 A; 50/60 Hz
Output: 5 V, 2.4 A
UL listed
RoHS compliant

Made in China

theoilman
02-07-2015, 21:49
Somewhere in Georgia I saw a shelter that had a wall receptacle. Though with no wire to it, I doubt any type of charger would help!

Alligator
02-08-2015, 00:47
Check the specs on your devices, they will accept some number of amps coming in as Slo-go'en has said as well asthe plug/charger/backup battery will only output at some rate. That Galaxy S4 comes with a 2 amp plug.

I have this Anker 2 port charger (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LFL2JB6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), 4 amps, 2.32 oz on my scale. Like it so far. I've only had it a couple of weeks though.

A computer USB 2.0 only puts out 0.5 amps.

If you read carefully, there's not much difference in price between chargers and plugs that operate at 1 or 2 amps, so go with the higher one. Your device will only accept what it needs. I'd recommend being able to charge at least one device at 2.1 amps and also that any battery back up be able to take that level in and out, particularly the larger batteries. Otherwise you will be waiting a while. A 6000 mah battery is going to take 6 hours to charge on a one amp charger.