PDA

View Full Version : NOC to Fontana dam tomorrow afternoon...

saltysack
01-13-2015, 20:47
Dropping off my truck tomorrow afternoon at the dam...shuttling to NOC...last minute conditions update?
-assume plenty of water as I've heard had lots of rain?
-icy.....spikes needed????...thinking about adding a few sheet metal screws to the wildcats rather than spending $60 on micro spikes...probably be 4-5 before reach NOC...night hike...head up to cheoah bald where I plan to camp first night....
Day 2...14-17 miles any good tent sites besides what's listed? Don't use shelters to sleep......:day 3 plan to be done before 11 head south for the 8 hr drive...are showers open at dam currently?
Thx all for any last minute info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
01-14-2015, 08:18
Lots of rain down here in the local valleys. Water should not be an issue. Very wet January so far in WNC. :)

saltysack
01-14-2015, 10:01
Lots of rain down here in the local valleys. Water should not be an issue. Very wet January so far in WNC. :)

You think will be very icy?

RED-DOG
01-14-2015, 10:44
No i don't think it will be icy, Night time lows in the upper teens to mid twenties, day time highs in the mid 30's- 40's, should be overcast with a little bit of rain, expect the trail to be very wet and muddy, they might be a little bit of ice on top of cheoha bald.

the night before you leave check out the weather service that will give you a good idea what to expect but remember to subtact 10 degrees from any weather bulletin you see or hear, and just because it's a sunny day in a town you go through don't expect the same on the trail.

Hope for the best but expect the worst.

RED-DOG
01-14-2015, 10:48
The southern Ruck is this week end so the N.O.C will be a very busy place.

saltysack
01-14-2015, 14:03
Thx I'm heading out tonight plan to be at dam Friday mid morning....

High Side
01-14-2015, 22:27
Good luck man, just did that exact hike.....there were some cool random tent spots (with established fire ring) along the route. Water everywhere. It will be extremely cold and probabyl windy on Cheoah.....the bald itself has the best tent spots but it will be cold....There are a few other tent spots about 30-50 yards up the AT going north from the bald.

2NewKnees
01-18-2015, 21:02
I did the NOC to Stecoah Gap yesterday and today. Great views and hiking weather. Left the NOC yesterday and fought the uphill to Cheoah Bald last night. The wind kicked up bigtime there and had a nice dusting of snow this am. Was a great trip!