PDA

View Full Version : What a week!!! This adventure suddenly feels real and scary.

GirlfromOZ
01-13-2015, 20:59
This week has made the AT become VERY real for me very Quickly!!

1. Got my Visa Approved!
The process of obtaining a visa to enter the States is a bit involved!
-Application Fee $170
-Return Flights to Another States for a face to face interview $300
-interviewer asked a few questions about why I was travelling and how I was paying for it..... Then wanted to know if I had read Wild.

2. Stocktake sale at my outfitters! I just spent 2 hours looking at gear I want and trying to do maths in my head!

3. Got shortlisted for the Badger Sponsorship. (Free gear and food, as well as mail drops)
----- of which I'm currently sitting in second last place in the voting round, but still, shortlisted!!!

PS You can vote for me by following this link
http://appalachiantrials.com/steph-wants-badger-sponsorship-powered-larabar/

What about you guys?? Anyone else had that oh **** moment yet???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuckahoe
01-13-2015, 21:46
Congratulations!

Dogwood
01-13-2015, 23:22
"What about you guys?? Anyone else had that oh **** moment yet???"

Every long distance hike. I've learned to not get hyper stressed though joyously plodding through it by prioritizing umm, just like an actual trail runners on the ground long distance hike. :sun:banana

denefi
01-13-2015, 23:43
First off, well done on a great Badger Sponsorship video! I just liked it on Facebook. Good luck!

The timing on your question couldn't be more appropriate. I just finished writing a blog post titled "Appalachian Trail: Emotions 15 Weeks Out (http://www.thebusquestion.com/blog/2015/1/13/appalachian-trail-emotions-15-weeks-out)" (entirely unplanned and wasn't just looking for a plug!)

The quick and dirty of it is that as far as the AT goes, I'm just wildly excited. I really can't wait to start, and I kind of have a sense that the rest of my concerns will melt away once I start. Hiking has that effect for me.

Those other concerns? Mainly they relate to career and life stuff. I'm mid-career, so figuring out what I'll be doing professionally after the hike and where I'll be living are front and center on my mind, even though the other end of the trail (assuming I get there) is so far off. I'm also a little anxious to nail down my gear, even though I feel like 15 weeks is plenty of time for that.

GirlfromOZ
01-14-2015, 00:28
I guess for me this weeks has made it feel different from the "doing it one day" to, oh wait this is actually happening and statistically it might not go well sort of thinking...

Like you though when I'm actually hiking my thinking is completely different. :D

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-14-2015, 01:26
Yeah.....it does get like that when you are travelling halfway around the world for your hike. But it is incredible when you stand in front of that first white blaze & it all becomes real.

and statistically, Aussies seem to have a much better success rate than the average. The year I hiked, I knew of 7 Aussies on the trail and 6 of them finished. Most seem to make it, perhaps since it requires an above average level of commitment and planning to travel so far to hike. ( and bailing out is not so easy !)
Regardless, it will be an incredible experience & you will love it !

norts
01-14-2015, 04:13
Go for it.
I know exactly what you are going through, I was in the same place 12 months ago. Even as far as having to fly to Melb for a Visa. I think part of my motivation to finish was " I have come half way around the world to do this, and spent alot of money, I will finish" and I did, Standing on Katahdin was a proud moment.
Be careful though, I am going back this year to do the PCT, it is addictive.
I have had the OH moment last week for the PCT, got my flights and organised my accommodation in San Diego

Taz

Old Hillwalker
01-14-2015, 09:22
You just got a vote from me. I have hiked with and served in the military with many Aussies and liked them all. There are lots of people here on Whiteblaze who will lend you a hand on the trail.

Old Hiker
01-14-2015, 09:35
This week has made the AT become VERY real for me very Quickly!!

What about you guys?? Anyone else had that oh **** moment yet??? ...........

Not since Feb 2012.

<sigh> 410 days for me as of today: 14 Jan 2015.

Good luck - keep us who are waiting, posted.

Ender
01-14-2015, 10:09
Then wanted to know if I had read Wild.

:) This made me laugh. Same thing happened to me after I hiked, the Bill Bryson book came out that summer and everyone I knew asked me if I'd read the book after I finished the trail.

oldwetherman
01-14-2015, 15:12
You've got my vote. Hang tough!

GirlfromOZ
01-14-2015, 17:59
Ender- After I said 'yes' to reading wild I was a bit worried that reading a book about a promiscuous drug addict might not be the best. (Also any chance your name is an Orson Scott card reference?)

Thanks guys!

Norts, I hope I do get addicted, I'd love to do a different long trail every second year!! But my next bucketlist trail after AT is teararoa in NZ. (I have no idea if I spelt that right)

Kaptain Kangaroo, I wish some statistician took interest in the trail and came back with more data, like foreigners, females, average miles (are ppl with lower miles more successful etc) but I love statistics!

Thanks Old Hillwalker! I can say the same thing about the US sailors I've worked with! :)

Frank_the_cat
01-14-2015, 19:01
This week has been one freak out after another! During the weekend I updated my gear excel and realized how much stuff I have and how much I've invested. Then at work I've started talking to my boss about plans to leave when she gets back from maternity leave and she is super excited for me to do this. Both have just been huge "oh man, I can't back out now" moments.

GirlfromOZ
01-14-2015, 19:48
I know exactly what you mean! I applied for a career break at my job and was turned down... So there was a hole awkward moment of ok well ... I'm gonna go any way, so ummm, please don't fire me before March. :D

Ken.davidson
01-14-2015, 21:29
Best of luck on your bike, you sound determined to complete the AT. Perhaps we will meet on the trail somewhere. You got a vote from me.

Ender
01-14-2015, 23:02
Ender- After I said 'yes' to reading wild I was a bit worried that reading a book about a promiscuous drug addict might not be the best. (Also any chance your name is an Orson Scott card reference?)

In fact it is. Ender's Game was a favorite book of mine growing up (I later learned about how Card kinda turned into a jerkbag, but I still like the book anyway).

And I wouldn't worry about how reading a book about drug addicts may affect how people think of you... that book is wildly (heh, see what I did there) popular over here, everyone is reading it.

TNhiker
01-14-2015, 23:08
hey girlfromOZ-----

i live in tennessee about an hour from the Smokies and other points of the AT-------if there's anything i can do to help your hike out, feel free to ask..........

Fireonwindcsr
01-16-2015, 05:12
Outstanding! You get my vote. You will go far in this life because you recognize fear and you look it in the eye. You will also complete this hike because there's a lot of folks pulling for you. All it takes is one foot in front of the other. The rest will work its way out.

GirlfromOZ
01-17-2015, 02:45
Thanks TNhiker and Fireonwindcsr !

Second Half
01-17-2015, 06:50
I just voted for you, best of luck on your adventure! If you need anything when you get to the northern half of Pennsylvania just send me a message and I'll be happy to help.

Rolex
01-17-2015, 07:47
I just voted for you, best of luck on your adventure! If you need anything when you get to the northern half of Pennsylvania just send me a message and I'll be happy to help.

Ditto. Put me down for Southern Vermont.

GirlfromOZ
01-17-2015, 16:07
Second Half and Rolex thank you so much for the support! I promise to try to get in touch when I'm close!

Bronk
01-17-2015, 16:18
I still remember standing in my kitchen in December of 2001 boxing up the last of my stuff. I had just finished my last day of work and the lease was up on my apartment within a couple of days. That's when it became real for me...when I knew there was no changing my mind and no turning back. Had some butterflies in my stomach but it was more excitement than fear.

Coffee
01-17-2015, 16:24
I know the feeling. I chickened out on going totally "homeless" and will keep my home vacant while I'm on the PCT. I'm not sure why but that makes it less scary for me. Best of luck GirlFromOz!

Hotspot
01-17-2015, 16:27
I gave my official notice this past Friday... I had already given a 5 month verbal notice but the official notice was so much more real. It was bittersweet, honestly. I love my job and the people I work with, but they don't have a leave of absence policy so I have to say "sayonara".

GirlfromOZ
01-17-2015, 16:37
Hey hotspot, my company do have the extended leave break system but my application was rejected. I was told to try again late February before I go but I suspect the outcome will be the same.
The idea that I have 5 pay checks left and then after that I'm just winging it makes me almost equal parts scared and excited.

Hotspot
01-17-2015, 16:49
I hope it works out for you with your company! It would obviously be comforting to know you would be going back steady employment.

Fireonwindcsr
01-17-2015, 16:53
Hey hotspot, my company do have the extended leave break system but my application was rejected. I was told to try again late February before I go but I suspect the outcome will be the same.
The idea that I have 5 pay checks left and then after that I'm just winging it makes me almost equal parts scared and excited.

Growing up I've always had a mentor. The best advice she ever gave me was this, "when one door closes another opens". I believe this. You may have moments in your life where you may not believe this, however there are events going on that you may not consciously be aware of. Your journey is putting you where you need to be at the moment you need to be. Embrace it. Try and enjoy your hike. Consciously be aware. Don't just focus on the end and what lies there. If you do, you'll miss so much. I'll get off of my pedestal now. Sorry......

MarkCevoli
01-23-2015, 22:12
Yes when I made the decision to hike, the trail was real for me, then I was working like an animal saving money and all and it wasn't so real anymore I actually was contemplating not doing it, and this week is became super real again as I threw whatever gear I have into my bag and start to pack my apartment up. I also finally got the motivation to quit smoking because the trail is so real again. Day 5 on quitting for me!