PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for add-on hip belt pockets

Just Tom
01-13-2015, 21:09
For overnight trips I love my Kelty Redwing 50. But I miss the hip belt pockets that my larger Sierra Designs pack has. Any suggestions on add-on pockets from those who have actually used them? Pictures on the web of those for sale are often difficult to tell scale by, and to tell exactly how they attach. If it helps, The Kelty hip belt has a horizontal 5 inch stretch of webbing with three tight MOLE sections. (To be clear, the openings of the webbing from above and below).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sirsnappy09
01-13-2015, 21:24
I love hip belt pockets also. I made some from sil and attached to a pack once. It was pretty easy.

Hoop
01-13-2015, 21:28
Zpacks.com carries detachable hip belt pockets, along with other useful accessories. Good customer service, good gear.

QHShowoman
01-13-2015, 21:48
Granite Gear also has detachable pockets that work with pretty much every hipbelt:
http://www.granitegear.com/accessories/backpack-accessories

Nooga
01-13-2015, 22:07
Zpacks.com carries detachable hip belt pockets, along with other useful accessories. Good customer service, good gear.

Agree. Really like Zpacks gear.

Miner
01-13-2015, 22:37
Gossamer Gear, mountain laurel designs, and Zpacks sell them.

egilbe
01-13-2015, 22:38

I'll 3rd their hip belt pockets and should strap pouches. I like mine better than my GF's GG pouches that flop all over the place.

Alligator
01-13-2015, 23:35
What are you going to put in it? How big do you want it to be?

I think I know what you are saying about the belt but a picture might help.

Just Tom
01-13-2015, 23:45
Great question. Snacks / power bar type items in one, GPS and some misc items in another.

Maui Rhino
01-14-2015, 02:28
If the pack has a PALS / MOLLE grid, you can attach any pouch to it that is PALS compatible... Your local military surplus store will have all kinds of GP pouches to choose from. Find one sized appropriately for your needs and have fun. I find that the SAW ammo pouches are a great size for your snacks and a notebook or GPS.

Just Tom
01-14-2015, 09:38
It's not a grid really...perhaps I misused the MOLE term, my bad. Here is a picture of the webbing.

I have seen via web searches most of the pockets you all have mentioned but:

1. It is hard to tell exactly how big they really are
2. It is hard to tell exactly how they attach (and if it would work with the webbing above)
3. It is impossible to know how firmly the pocket will be on there without buying (someone mentioned Granite Gear pockets are floppy?)

So far it seemed like several people have tried the zpack ones (though I could not tell how they would attach to the webbing). They are a bit pricey but I'll keep them under consideration. Any other first-hand recommendations?

English Stu
01-14-2015, 11:35
+1 for Zpacks belt pockets. I have one each of the clip and the zip type and find the zip the better of the two.

Rocket Jones
01-14-2015, 12:00
Any pouch that will attach to your hip belt will work. Look in your local electronics stores for camera pouches. Lots of choices.

Alligator
01-14-2015, 16:06
It's not a grid really...perhaps I misused the MOLE term, my bad. Here is a picture of the webbing.

I have seen via web searches most of the pockets you all have mentioned but:

1. It is hard to tell exactly how big they really are
2. It is hard to tell exactly how they attach (and if it would work with the webbing above)
3. It is impossible to know how firmly the pocket will be on there without buying (someone mentioned Granite Gear pockets are floppy?)

So far it seemed like several people have tried the zpack ones (though I could not tell how they would attach to the webbing). They are a bit pricey but I'll keep them under consideration. Any other first-hand recommendations?1. If the site lists measurements, you could fold a piece of paper or a cereal box into the shape for a rough idea.

2. I have one pouch on each of two older packs. One pouch has a sewn loop, one has a velcro loops. On your pack, you could conceivably attach a sewn loop type pouch to your thinner hip belt adjuster strap and over to your hip belt. The buckles on those straps should come off. If it is some type of opening loop on the pouch, you can use the three attachment points, with or without involving the adjuster or hip belt straps.

3. I find that the ones I use get floppy when they are loosely packed. I don't like to keep too much in there, particularly important things, because the pouches tend to get wet easily and also get knocked around. The pack covers don't tend to cover them and they sit on the ground when you put your pack down. But in the winter, I keep a hat, gloves, and neck gaiter in there, which fills it up. In the warmer months, on my other pack, I may just keep a camera/phone and snacks in there. The camera stays in a plastic bag. I used to keep my Polar Pur in there but one time I cracked it putting it down and then I got iodine on stuff.

Maui Rhino
01-15-2015, 00:31
While your pack has a non-standard PALS system, you can still attach any PALS compatible pouch to it using a couple of Malice clips (made by Tactical Tailor). They will probably bounce more since you only have one row of webbing, but should still be reasonably secure.

egilbe
01-16-2015, 09:35
This is the Zpacks pouch. attachment points on the ends are 7 inches apart2958029581295822958329584

Just Tom
01-16-2015, 10:14
Wow, thanks for those pictures. It looks like from those shots and the 7" measurement, the Zpacks one would have to attach to the webbing near the buckle and to the stabalizer strap. They are are about 7 1/2 inches apart. This would bypass the webbing loops, but I guess that is not the end of the world. How exactly do the attachment points work, I assume you must be able to thread them through webbing loops without too much difficulty. The website doesn't really show the mechanism works.

I also looked at the malice clips, and I agree I can see how they would have a lot of slack given the layout on my bag...probably not what I'm leaning towards right now.

dangerdave
01-16-2015, 10:40
I got a pair of the Zpack belt pouches and their shoulder pouch, and love them. The items I put in them used to go in my shorts pockets, and tended to flop around on long hikes. The pack pouches keep that stuff secure, and easily accessible. Snacks, toothbrush, phone, snacks, iPod, tweezers (for tick removal), ID and money, snacks, hand sanitizer, and some more snacks. Roomy, too!

egilbe
01-16-2015, 11:12
The pouches use a loop of dyneema cord that is tightened with a cord lock. Very simple attachment. 29585295862958729588
I had to attach mine to the webbing buckle on the belt. I didn't have enough PALS loops. I had to make a longer loop for the should strap pouches. The one that was provide was too short to connect to the only attachment point I had on the shoulder strap. The water bottle is a half liter bottle to give you an idea of the size. There's also a mesh pocket on the front of the shoulder pouches, but I found them a little small if you are using the pouches for a water bottle.