PDA

View Full Version : Options for getting back to GA after the thru-hike?

Skye15
01-14-2015, 13:09
Any advice or ways to get back to Georgia when reaching Maine on a NOBO? Flying is number one, but I was wondering if there were other, maybe cheaper options. If I do fly, what airport to use? Portland?

(I am crossing my fingers that friends will want to do a roadtrip around that time - with a smelly passenger) : )

AO2134
01-14-2015, 13:35
I'd say do the hike again, but SOBO. I get the feeling this is not what you are asking though . . . .

Ruffdude
01-14-2015, 13:46
Good question.
I was wondering the same but do plan to fly home to Detroit Metro airport. The flights I see leave from Bangor or Augusta, how does everyone get from Baxter down to those airports? Hike? :) Hitch?
Right now I'm hoping by the time I get to Maine I can partner up with someone that has this logistic covered. Yes basically mooch a ride is the best I got right now.

evyck da fleet
01-14-2015, 13:52
You can fly home from Boston. You'll need to take a bus unless you hitch or have someone pick you up to get to any of the airports so check the additional cost of a bus to Boston from whatever airport you were looking at and compare that to the difference in price of the flight home.

yonderway
01-14-2015, 13:54
Hi Skye, I'm also an Atlantan... my plan is train down to DC at least, then probably Megabus from there. Fares are dirt cheap if bought ahead of time, but go up rapidly. If it balances out by that time, I'll train the whole way. I like rail travel.

But, if it works out that there is a group carpooling to points south once I'm done, I'm willing to pay gas and shower up so as not offend.

SteelCut
01-14-2015, 14:05
Delta flies out of Bangor, ME. To get there from Millinocket you can get a shuttle to Medway and then catch a bus to Bangor.

Alternatively, if you can get to Boston you can fly or take Amtrak from there. There is frequent bus service between Boston and Portland, ME but I haven't fully researched the options on getting to Portland, ME from Millinocket. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

soumodeler
01-14-2015, 14:05
My plan so far is get a shuttle to Medway, take the daily bus to Bangor, and fly home to Atlanta (via 3 flights!). Cheapest flight I can find is $391 (if purchased the day ahead, cheaper the earlier you buy it), so I am hoping that price will be about the same once I get to Maine.

I thought about taking the train, but will probably end up flying.

Skye15
01-14-2015, 14:06
Hi Skye, I'm also an Atlantan... my plan is train down to DC at least, then probably Megabus from there. Fares are dirt cheap if bought ahead of time, but go up rapidly. If it balances out by that time, I'll train the whole way. I like rail travel.

But, if it works out that there is a group carpooling to points south once I'm done, I'm willing to pay gas and shower up so as not offend.

I'll look into the train options, riding a train is actually a bucket list item of mine (ridden MARTA, but don't count that). I'm hoping that by the time i've made it that far, people will be talking options and something will just kind of work out.

Slo-go'en
01-14-2015, 15:08
As much as I hate flying, it really is your best option. I've taken a couple of long distance train rides and find it really hard to get any sleep. If you want a sleeping car you have to book months in advance and it will cost a bundle. Just getting a seat at the last minute can be a problem. If you do take the train, bring your own food. The food car is really expensive.

The bus is the cheapest way to go and I actually have an easier time sleeping on the bus then the train - most of the time. But their always stopping some place at 2 or 3 AM and some of the transfers can keep you up all night in the bus station. I'll go on bus if the trip is less then 24 hours. I took the bus from Boston to Tampa once, I'll never do that again!

Fireonwindcsr
01-15-2015, 00:07
As much as I hate flying, it really is your best option. I've taken a couple of long distance train rides and find it really hard to get any sleep. If you want a sleeping car you have to book months in advance and it will cost a bundle. Just getting a seat at the last minute can be a problem. If you do take the train, bring your own food. The food car is really expensive.

The bus is the cheapest way to go and I actually have an easier time sleeping on the bus then the train - most of the time. But their always stopping some place at 2 or 3 AM and some of the transfers can keep you up all night in the bus station. I'll go on bus if the trip is less then 24 hours. I took the bus from Boston to Tampa once, I'll never do that again!

Im considering renting a car and driving south. I have a place to stay in Maryland .... if needed, then drive to Marietta. There's buses, trains, planes..... A group could split the costs of car rental. Alas, just an option. I personally want to hike the trail in less than 5 months starting round mid March. So it could be August southbound.

T-Rx
01-15-2015, 10:05
My wife and I are thru hiking this year and will also be returning to Georgia at the end of our hike. We haven't given a lot of thought to transportation with so many other things to do and think about. We will probably rent a car and drive home. I feel sure there will be others with the same situation and something will be worked out. Don't worry, just focus on the hike and a lot of the things you worry about will take care of themselves in due time.
After all, you have to first reach the end before you need transportation home!

Skye15
01-15-2015, 12:08
My wife and I are thru hiking this year and will also be returning to Georgia at the end of our hike. We haven't given a lot of thought to transportation with so many other things to do and think about. We will probably rent a car and drive home. I feel sure there will be others with the same situation and something will be worked out. Don't worry, just focus on the hike and a lot of the things you worry about will take care of themselves in due time.
After all, you have to first reach the end before you need transportation home!

Very, very true! I am a worrier and overplanner by nature, so i'm slowly trying to let go and not stress as much. A quest to gain more of go-with-the-flow attitude is one of the lessons I hope the trail can teach me, actually. : )

TomKarakowski
01-15-2015, 12:47
Yes getting home shouldn't even be on your mind at this point. If you make the journey you'll realize it's not a very big deal at all after walking nearly 2200 MILES. You'll see!
Plus you'll be a master hitchhiker by then. You can thumb it back down to Dixie ( or straight to Campo, CA to start the PCT).

squeezebox
01-15-2015, 13:08
Cyr bus line can get you to Bangor, Greyhound or Concord to portland, Megabus as far as Atlanta,
Megabus is dirt cheap.

fastfoxengineering
01-16-2015, 11:27
Seriously I wouldn't worry about how your going to get home. Just make sure you have funds to get you home if you need to go the expensive route. After walking from Georgia to Maine, who know's what you'll be thinking or want to do. No reason to stress about it when you have six months of walking ahead of ya.

When I stayed at the Inn @ Long Trail this past summer, I saw a retired man offer a ride to an AT thru hiker who had just summited Katahdin two days beforehand but came back to VT see some friends a full ride home to Toronto, Canada. We all met the night before and that retiree was a really cool guy. He told the AT hiker not to worry about money, food, etc, and that he himself was on a journey traveling some of the country. Noted that since he made it this far, he might as well check out some of Canada. Needless to say, they got in that old guy's car the next morning.

Trail Magic is a hell of a thing.

Skye15
01-16-2015, 17:02
Yes getting home shouldn't even be on your mind at this point. If you make the journey you'll realize it's not a very big deal at all after walking nearly 2200 MILES. You'll see!
Plus you'll be a master hitchhiker by then. You can thumb it back down to Dixie ( or straight to Campo, CA to start the PCT).

I like that idea! Straight to Cali. : )

Nooga
01-20-2015, 16:30
Delta flies out of Bangor, ME. To get there from Millinocket you can get a shuttle to Medway and then catch a bus to Bangor.

Alternatively, if you can get to Boston you can fly or take Amtrak from there. There is frequent bus service between Boston and Portland, ME but I haven't fully researched the options on getting to Portland, ME from Millinocket. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

5.5 months to hike to Katahdin and 5.5 hours to fly home. Bangor to Detroit, Detroit to Chattanooga..

peakbagger
01-20-2015, 20:55
Generally flights are more expensive out of Bangor and to far fewer more destinations than flying out of Portland which has Southwest airlines. The same bus service that goes to Bangor from Medway goes to Portland. You also can take the bus to Portland and catch Amtrak. One thing to be aware is that you have to take a shuttle or walk from North Station to South Station in Boston if you take Amtrak.

rock steady
01-20-2015, 22:45
Right! I agree that we should wait till we get to the bridge before we jump off it. We got lots to do B4 Maine! Somebody here on WB said they've worried about lots of things thru the years and none of 'em ever came true. pretty good. Take care (but leave most of your cares in your dust!!!) (can't resist: Proverbs chapter 3 verses 5 & 6 have helped me bunches)