PDA

View Full Version : Spring Mountain Shelter Access

Point Man Chef
01-14-2015, 15:52
Is there an access trail near Spring Mountain Shelter? Something that would get me up the the AT. Looking to do around 40 miles ending up at Standing Bear Farm. Haven't ordered any maps/guides for this section because I was planning on doing something else but now considering a hike change. Looking to do this around the first of April. Just wanted to see if it was feasible to get dropped near this shelter and hike south before I completely sell out to the change and order the materials. Thanks as always for the help!

illabelle
01-14-2015, 16:26
NC208 at Allen Gap is the closest road crossing I see. It's 3.7 miles north of Spring Mountain Shelter. I don't have maps with me, just looking online.
www.atdist.com

We'll be walking SOBO through that area in mid-March, getting a look at this year's crop of thru-hikers.

RED-DOG
01-14-2015, 16:32
well from Springer Mountain GA to Standing Bear Farm Hostel is 241.5 miles and it's just north of the GSMNP.
Theirs a couple of ways you can get to springer MT, the way i have always did it was to hike up the Approach trail from AFSP or you can get shuttled to the parking lot on FS42 and backtrack SOBO on the AT about a mile to Springer MT, or you can get shuttled to Nimblewill Gap and hike up the BMT to Springer.

I would suggest to you to get a AT Guide book either the AT Companion or Awols Guide you will find all the info you need to know in these books.

Point Man Chef
01-14-2015, 16:34
Thanks! I forgot about that little website.

NC208 at Allen Gap is the closest road crossing I see. It's 3.7 miles north of Spring Mountain Shelter. I don't have maps with me, just looking online.
www.atdist.com (http://www.atdist.com)

We'll be walking SOBO through that area in mid-March, getting a look at this year's crop of thru-hikers.

RED-DOG
01-14-2015, 16:38
it's 44.9 miles from spring MT shelter to Standing Bear Farm Hostel.
Why don't you just start at Allen Gap ?

Point Man Chef
01-14-2015, 16:51
Thanks! Probably what we will do. Got my bearings now that a couple of you have chimed in with the closest gap/road crossing. Now to order the maps/books.

it's 44.9 miles from spring MT shelter to Standing Bear Farm Hostel.
Why don't you just start at Allen Gap ?