PDA

View Full Version : Rideshare/Carpool From ATL to Springer Early March

Tron-Life
01-14-2015, 16:02
I'm coming in to ATL by bus sometime early march and I'm looking to hookup with someone to either share a rental car to the trail or possibly a ride if available. I'm flexible to when I leave, anytime in march is fine but early march preferred. If anyone is interested, or has any other questions, post here or PM me.

Thanks

Dogwood
01-14-2015, 17:15
Just my 2 cents, but if traveling to ATL by bus from NY strongly consider a down day or night after the traveling before immediately embarking onto the trail.

I'd strongly recommend a night at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega GA before your AT hike. The Hiker Hostel offers package deals where they pick you up, get a night at the hostel, b-fast, and then a ride to either AFSP or Springer MT for one reasonable price. You'll be surrounded by other AT hikers. Doing that on my AT NOBO and a few other hikes always allows for some last minute tweaking(especially making some mental and gear adjustments) that I find sets the stage positively for my entire hike.

If you're taking Ghound and have no reason to head into ATL consider a Ghound route that might make a stop at Gainesville GA. Gainesville is like a hr closer to Springer MT than downtown ATL(ATL GHound Station). Amtrak stops in Gainesville GA too. Look it up on mapquest.

Tron-Life
01-14-2015, 17:37
Thanks for the tip about Gainesville, but my bus doesn't make local stops. I'm really just trying to meet other folks going to the trail from ATL. I think I get in early morning but its far enough away to adjust my plans.

Slo-go'en
01-14-2015, 18:25
The thing is, there is no place to drop off a rental car anywhere near Springer. There are people who will shuttle you from Atlanta to Springer and if you can find a couple of others who arrive the same day/time you can split the cost. Or do the Hiker Hostel deal, but you will have to find your way to the outskirts of town to be picked up. Not a big deal. The traffic in and around Atlanta is nothing short of insane so no one wants to try to get any closer then the outer beltway or it could add hours to the trip.

upstream
01-14-2015, 18:59
There's a $99 bus that goes from NY to Doraville daily. It's less than one mile walk from there to Doraville MARTA station, you can go south to Lindbergh, pick up the north springs line and go to North Springs. That's where Hiker Hostel picks up.

Tron-Life
01-18-2015, 15:35
About how much is the HH shuttle? I have really limited funds for this so getting to the trail cheap is key. My bus to ATL is 40 bucks, so going to Doraville is already more expensive but it might be worth it if getting out of the city cost more, plus the time and energy spent.

In a perfect world, someone from Atlanta would be driving to the trail, or somewhere near it, and would be willing to take me in exchange for helping with travel expenses. Not so sure how likely it is that that will happen, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Slo-go'en
01-18-2015, 16:51
I believe the Hiker Hostel deal is $80, but they do have a web site you can check. I don't know the URL off hand, but is easy enough for you to find yourself.

But if spending another $80 cuts significantly into your limited funds, your probably better off staying home or starting much later. Starting in early March typically results in spending lots of money.

Tron-Life
02-03-2015, 02:48
I got a ride to springer from nyc so this thread is resolved. we're driving to springer early in april but nothing firm.