PDA

View Full Version : Where and how to hike?

blackbird04217
01-14-2015, 19:13
I came to Miami in 2012 for a job opportunity, found a wonderful girlfriend and believe this warm, sunny state may become my home for a very long time to come. (I grew up in Maine and have bounced around for job opportunities for several years). My girlfriend doesn't mind the occasional weekend hike and/or camping experience, we've been to Collier State Park a few times as well as a handful of other state parks (is there any other places to camp?) and it sucks when we get stuck in RV land, but otherwise all experiences have been pretty good if not extremely warm. Still acclimating, I may never acclimate completely.

I did hike the AT, GAME09 so I do have a fair understanding of backpacking, so the "how to hike" isn't exactly what I'm after, I'm mostly after, "how to hike in the swamp lands". From growing up in the mountains of Maine I'm not so comfortable walking through murky/muddy water that is knee deep, and have yet to feel confident pushing into this sort of environment, I wouldn't mind some advice. I'm not terrified of the gators, but certainly have healthy respect. Snakes might be a different story, I've never got comfortable with those guys, and they can swim, which does not amuse me.

Anyway, to attempt to keep this short- what areas exist around here (~2hr drive, up to 4hr for a 3 day weekend), that has dry, or at least mostly dry, hiking? Any other good places for camping besides state parks, they seem fairly busy and pricy but in my searching is the only sort of camping I've seen in FL.

Thanks in advance from a hiker who wants a little escape from the daily grinds.

perrymk
01-14-2015, 19:50
I spent about half my childhood in Miami (or as I call it, your-ami because it's not my-ami anymore). Your best bets are the Big Cypress NWR or to head up to the Ocala National Forest. Even these won't be the same as what you're accustomed to, but as you acknowledged, wilderness is different here.

A bit of advice: monitor the weather for at least a week in advance, preferably two weeks. If there has been significant rain, portions of the trail are likely to be flooded and you may want to reconsider. Sometimes it isn't just a matter of getting your boots wet but it can actually be unsafe. A couple of months ago, after doing some waist deep crossings, I finally turned around when I saw the entrance to the bridge across the river was underwater.

WingedMonkey
01-14-2015, 19:52
Check out lands owned by Florida's Water Management Districts. A lot of them have hiking trails with primitive camping sites at no cost or fees are low.

The close ones are our own South Florida WMD http://www.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/portal/xweb%20protecting%20and%20restoring/recreation
and Southwest Florida WMD http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/

bigcranky
01-15-2015, 08:25
Ocala National Forest is about 4 hours from Miami. That's my only experience hiking the FT, and that week on the trail was a great experience. The trail is sandy with gentle rolling hills, actually a little harder to hike than I expected :). No big swamps, decent camping at the various campgrounds and sometimes dispersed in the woods. It's definitely a winter hike -- we went in early March, which was the tail end of the season. Water is an issue at times, and on longer hikes resupply is always an issue (not as easy to hitch in Florida). Get the FT hiker's guide and talk to other hikers ahead of time.

blackbird04217
01-15-2015, 12:51
That is an interesting resource WingedMonkey, thanks for sharing I will be sure to check out some of those trails/sites and that matches pretty much exactly what I was looking for to get more into this wilderness. I wouldn't have thought to look at water management for hiking/camping, but they do have the opportunities!

Traveler
01-15-2015, 17:02
I'm not terrified of the gators, but certainly have healthy respect. Snakes might be a different story, I've never got comfortable with those guys, and they can swim, which does not amuse me.

OK, I have to ask this as a likely vapid question of the FL hikers here. How aggressive are the water moccasins there? Is this something one should get snake gaitors or snake boots for? I have been in places for work where these and other snakes are reportedly very aggressive and wore the protection, but have not seen anything that suggests they are. I am rather curious about this.

cj2874
01-15-2015, 21:18
I hike and backpack on the Florida Trail from Miami up to Jupiter. Very different than the AT which I have hiked sections. In the southern sections (Big Cypress) you will hike through swamps. Sometimes for hours.

However, it has a beauty like no other.

If you have a big fear of snakes, it might not be for you as I see them often. However, they don't attack unless provoked. Like most other animals they would rather flee. I would not let that deter me from hiking this beautiful, wild and unique part of the country.

If you want to take a group hike, there are local chapters leading group hikes all the time. It's an easy way to get accustomed to the area.

cj2874
01-15-2015, 21:26
OK, I have to ask this as a likely vapid question of the FL hikers here. How aggressive are the water moccasins there? Is this something one should get snake gaitors or snake boots for? I have been in places for work where these and other snakes are reportedly very aggressive and wore the protection, but have not seen anything that suggests they are. I am rather curious about this.

I hear this all the time. I have probably seen a hundred and have never been chased/attacked. They are quick to stand their ground and defend more than others. The term cotton mouth is from their classic defense mechanism, coiled up and mouth open revealing the solid white interior.

blackbird04217
01-17-2015, 18:14
I don't think I'd call it a fear really. I don't turn and run, although a few times on the AT I jumped two or three feet back when I nearly stepped on one. I definitely prefer keeping my distance and would not be provoking any animal.

Toon
01-21-2015, 02:26
I grew up in sarasota. Hillsborough river state park has a small loop that's really nice with a primitive campsite. The majority of my florida camping has been by kayak. If you want some great padding trip ideas pm me. I connected some trails south of myakka state park that make a good overnight but I would have to send you a map to explain it.

Toon
01-21-2015, 02:28
You could do some research on the Florida trail it starts near you, I know it has a lot of road walking.

LuckyMan
01-21-2015, 12:06
Dupuis, in Martin County just over the Palm Beach County line, is a good place to acclimate to hiking in south FL. There are a number of loops accommodating day hikes or backpacking, and it connects to longer trails, including the Ocean to Lake Trail. It has usually been dry when I've hiked there. Before going check for hunting seasons. http://www.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/portal/pg_grp_sfwmd_landresources/pg_sfwmd_landresources_recopps_se_dupuis Also check out the Florida Trail Association.

Gladesman
01-22-2015, 21:29
Blackbird, I'm new to this forum but I've hiked, canoed, and kayaked in the Everglades region for more than thirty years. If you want some nice hiking trails relatively close to Miami check out the Long Pine Key Nature Trail in Everglades National Park. Stop by the Ernest Coe Visitor Center on your way into ENP and ask for the free map, Hiking and Biking Trails of Long Pine Key. When you enter the park, drive to the Long Pine Key turnoff and turn left. About halfway to the campground you'll see a sign at the trailhead on your right at Gate 4. That fire road goes for about 7 miles to Pine Glades Lake at Gate 8 and it's available for hikers and cyclists. There are a number of side trails that go for many more miles and those are for hikers only.

Other trails in Everglades National Park worth hiking are Old Ingraham Highway at Royal Palm Hammock, Rowdy Bend down near Flamingo, and the Coastal Prairie Trail past the Flamingo campground. Also check out the Bear Island trails at the north end of Turner River Road in the Big Cypress National Preserve. There's also the Florida National Scenic Trail between the Oasis Visitor Center along Tamiami Trail that extends to Alligator Alley (I-75). That stretch is 28 miles one-way.

Farther west are the CREW Marsh trails and they're exceptionally nice. You can find maps of their trails on the Internet by Googling "CREW Marsh." The CREW Marsh is in Collier County just west of Immokalee and is an acronym for Corkscrew Regional Ecosystem Watershed. The two trailheads are at Gate 1 (CREW Marsh Trails) and Gate 5 (CREW Cypress Dome Trails.

My main interests are long-distance canoeing and wildflower photography so I've spent plenty of time hiking trails in South Florida and canoeing out of Flamingo and Everglades City.