PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon in March

biloute
01-14-2015, 19:38
I'm thinking of descending via the South Kaibab Trail and ascending the Bright Angel trail. This seems to be in between winter and spring seasons and I was wondering what general conditions are that time of year. Might I need crampons toward the rim or would the ice and snow likely be gone already?

swjohnsey
01-14-2015, 19:48
It is milder in the canyon but there can/will be snow on both rims. North Rim doesn't even open to May 15.

HooKooDooKu
01-14-2015, 20:19
I did that exact hike in March of 2014 with an overnight stay at Bright Angel Campground.

My research showed that snow and ice are possible at the upper elevations that time of year, but are not guaranteed. So the best that can be said at this time is that crampons MIGHT be needed that time of year. You'll simply have to wait until about 1 week before the start of your hike and check the weather forecast. Based on (then) current conditions and the forecast, you should be able to determine if crampons are LIKELY needed.

I can tell you that the night before my hike, there was some snow, sleet, and hail that fell while we were eating dinner at one of the Grand Canyon Lodges. But day time highs had been well above freezing, so it pretty much all melted well before morning. The day of the hike, the temperatures at the rim in the morning were right around freezing. Temperatures at the river that afternoon were about 70.

Dogwood
01-14-2015, 21:05
I'm thinking of descending via the South Kaibab Trail and ascending the Bright Angel trail. This seems to be in between winter and spring seasons and I was wondering what general conditions are that time of year. Might I need crampons toward the rim or would the ice and snow likely be gone already?

All the answers to these questions are found at the NPS Grand Canyon website. For all the individual NP websites I'm familiar with, 50+ U.S. NP websites, everyone has a Things To Know Before You Come section. Under that section is always an overview of seasonal weather for various locations in that NP. Most if not all also have monthly weather info analysis. For such a popular NP as GCNP basically never fully closing this is certainly the case. Many NPS websites for individual NPs also have links to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's comprehensive weather forecasts. All it takes is some initiative to go to the Grand Canyon NPS site and peruse the info even doing a search for the weather/March weather at the website if that is more convenient.

I would assume and expect anyone willing to sign on to WB and write a post could also easily access this information. It's not that hard to do this! Maybe it's just me but instead of eliciting the information in an open public opinion website that is NOT specifically dialed into Grand Canyon NP March weather I would rather go directly to the NPS Grand Canyon site eliciting it from the most knowledgeable folks who live and breathe this info on a year to year basis. I'm being direct in my answers here as I don't simply want to provide immediate answers but advise on how YOU can get the most pertinent most knowledgeable answers for your adventures in likely the most time efficient time.

Scroll down perusing the entire pages. Note the answers to your questions here:
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/weather-condition.htm#CP_JUMP_370129
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/winter-visits.htm

Dogwood
01-14-2015, 21:09
The NPS GCNP website provides ALERTS and timely seasonal recommendations like one currently in effect:

Walking Trails at Grand Canyon May Be Slick Due to Snow & Ice - Especially in Shaded AreasThe park recommends slip-on type shoe traction devices, while walking on trails and pathways. Snow that melts during the day can freeze at night making pathways very slick in the morning. This can occur even if the pathway has been cleared.

As you move closer to your March trip date check the current ALERTS in effect. If further in doubt contact GCNP through eMail or by phone with more specific questions for your trip.

Shutterbug
01-14-2015, 22:05

Most years, the ice on the trail is gone by the end of February; however, there can be freak storms all the way through April. I would carry some instep crampons

My wife and I did that hike in March of 2011. We got more than 4 inches of snow between Indian Garden and the South Rim. I am attaching some pictures. The snow was not predicted by the Weather Service.

fiddlehead
01-14-2015, 22:42
I kayaked the length of the canyon back in 01 in March.
Nice and warm down there.
Raft supported, 16 of us.
Good fun.

CarlZ993
01-14-2015, 23:58
It could be unusually cold & icy or warmer & clear. You never know. I've done four hikes in early to mid March during our (Austin, TX) spring break w/ a group of Scouts. Our groups had multiple permits on different treks. Every year (2010 - 2014), there were icy trails on Bright Angel & S. Kabab Trails. It didn't last very long. In 2013, one trek found icy trails on Tanner. On two different trek years (2010 & 2012), there was negligible to no snow & ice on Hermit Trail.

For safety sake, we required everyone in our group have some sort of ice traction device for their feet (Micro-Spikes, In-step Crampons, etc). When we hit the icy sections, everyone was glad they had them.

Note: The General Store sells ice traction gear. If a bad storm hits, they could easily be sold out (happened one year). Microspikes get my vote as the gear of choice for icy trails. Very quick to put on & off. Secure traction for icy trails.

Miner
01-15-2015, 00:18
The last time I hiked down from the south rim in late March, it was snowing. The only traction I had was the lightweight boots I was wearing. I didn't fall. When I climbed back up a few days later, there was no sign of snow. I had a very nice ~70F high down below.

DandT40
01-15-2015, 11:20
We went down the Grandview over on the Tonto down the SK and the up the BA the last week in March this past year and we did not see a speck of snow at any point in our trip. The pumps won't be working on the BA for sure in March. They were just coming online lower down while we were there and it was obviously a warmer year. But like most places in March the later the better and you just never know so prepare for the worst.

HooKooDooKu
01-15-2015, 11:30
We went down the Grandview over on the Tonto down the SK and the up the BA the last week in March this past year and we did not see a speck of snow at any point in our trip. The pumps won't be working on the BA for sure in March.
When I went in March, the water was not running on Bright Angel Trail at 1.5 mile and 3.0 mile rest houses. They were running for Indian Gardens and below. Of course because water pipes do occasionally get damaged, the NPS always recommends having another source of water (i.e filter/purifier/etc).

biloute
01-15-2015, 15:00
Thanks, everyone. It sounds hit-and-miss for sure. I guess I'll go ahead and submit my application for a backcountry pass and then see what happens when the time comes. Those MICROspikes look like they'd do the trick pretty well. I think I'd still want hiking poles too, though.

Shutterbug
01-15-2015, 16:27
Thanks, everyone. It sounds hit-and-miss for sure. I guess I'll go ahead and submit my application for a backcountry pass and then see what happens when the time comes. Those MICROspikes look like they'd do the trick pretty well. I think I'd still want hiking poles too, though.

I am sorry to break the news, but you are probably too late to get a permit for March. You don't need a permit if you are hiking down and back up in the same day. A permit is needed only if you intend to camp. Permits for March opened on November 1. They always get more requests than the number of camp sites available, so it would be highly unusual for one to still be available now.

There is always a possibility of a walk-up permit. The NPS saves a few permits to accommodate people who just show up.

biloute
01-15-2015, 23:35
I am sorry to break the news, but you are probably too late to get a permit for March. You don't need a permit if you are hiking down and back up in the same day. A permit is needed only if you intend to camp.

Hmm... I didn't think it would be a problem for out-of-season hiking. I'll still try and see what happens but I do want to go the walk-up route. It's 2-3 days driving since I live in Kansas. I wonder if someplace like Big Bend NP would have more availability?

biloute
01-15-2015, 23:37
**DON'T want to walk-up. And I wouldn't try down and back in one day, especially if it might be very cold, snowy or icy.

Dogwood
01-16-2015, 00:29
If you try for reservations NOT around mid March at Big Bend NP you're best off. It's a spring break destination for college students and families during mid March.

Shutterbug
01-16-2015, 00:33
Hmm... I didn't think it would be a problem for out-of-season hiking. I'll still try and see what happens but I do want to go the walk-up route. It's 2-3 days driving since I live in Kansas. I wonder if someplace like Big Bend NP would have more availability?

Big Bend NP doesn't have the demand that Grand Canyon does. Getting a permit there should be easy. I was there in March a few years ago and there were very few people on the trail. It would be a great alternative.

To get a permit for the Grand Canyon, mark your calendar for the first day of the month, four months before your planned trip. Download the request form from the Grand Canyon NP web site. The more flexible you are with you request, the more likely you are to get a permit. By being flexible (I am retired), I get a permit about 80% of the time, but I get my first choice less than 50% of the time.

Dogwood
01-16-2015, 00:43
Don't seek out advanced reservations at GCNP for the main corridor trails, S/N Kaibab and BA, and you will likely fair better getting those permits. You can include those trails or segments of them but don't make them your primary hiking trails or Phantom Ranch as your must camp location and you'll fair better at securing GCNP hiking/camping permits. When you apply for your advanced reservation/permit have at least three alternative already researched hiking itineraries. The hiking itinerary you initially suggested you wanted is THE MOST POPULAR in all of GCNP - meaning permit competition is high for that itinerary. In addition, if going during mid March you've chosen a holiday - spring break - for your trip. You're backing yourself into a corner and continue to ever more so if you approach your itinerary in a stiff necked rigid stubborn fashion.

Shutterbug
01-16-2015, 00:46
**DON'T want to walk-up. And I wouldn't try down and back in one day, especially if it might be very cold, snowy or icy.

Another hike you might consider is Supai. It is sometimes easier to get a permit for Supai. It is a great hike -- still in the Grand Canyon, but outside the National Park. It is an 8 mile hike to the campground and some of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world. There is actually a motel in the village in the bottom of the canyon, but it is hard to get reservations in the motel. The campground is very nice

If you do that hike, I recommend getting reservations for your pack to be carried down on a horse. The price is much cheaper if you get the reservation in advance. If you carry your pack to the bottom, then decide to have it carried out, the price is double.

Search for "Hike to Supai" for information.

Dogwood
01-16-2015, 00:52
Everything Shutterbug said. I'm willing to do walk ups though at 4 a.m. so I get my first itineraries more so than 50% of the time at GCNP. Adding that I also tend to hike GCNP during non peak visitation(NOT during Holidays or summer), understand and know about open dispersed camping zones, and have long ago gotten over having to hike on the extremely popular corridor trails or stay at the most popular campsites I get my hikes in at GCNP. I've never been denied a hiking permit at GCNP and have NEVER not once gone there with a reservation even when traveling all the way to AZ from the east coast or Hawaii with a time frame.

StealthHikerBoy
01-16-2015, 07:51
Start by calling the ranger station. They will tell you what is available and are really helpful. You'll probably have a better chance if you try for something starting at Tanner, Grandview, or Hermit's Rest. I would add that long day hikes starting at any of the S Rim trailheads are worth doing, especially if you haven't been there before.

I think it will be tough for you to get a permit at this late date, but you never know.

biloute
01-16-2015, 08:43
Don't seek out advanced reservations at GCNP for the main corridor trails, S/N Kaibab and BA, and you will likely fair better getting those permits. You can include those trails or segments of them but don't make them your primary hiking trails or Phantom Ranch as your must camp location and you'll fair better at securing GCNP hiking/camping permits. When you apply for your advanced reservation/permit have at least three alternative already researched hiking itineraries. The hiking itinerary you initially suggested you wanted is THE MOST POPULAR in all of GCNP - meaning permit competition is high for that itinerary. In addition, if going during mid March you've chosen a holiday - spring break - for your trip. You're backing yourself into a corner and continue to ever more so if you approach your itinerary in a stiff necked rigid stubborn fashion.

Unfortunately, I'm a teacher, so I'd have a choice as to when I can go. I will check out other trails, especially Supai. I'm all for beautiful waterfalls. I've never been to Big Bend, so I'll have to check out their site too.

biloute
01-16-2015, 08:44
I hate autocorrect sometimes. *I don't have a choice as to when to go.

HooKooDooKu
01-16-2015, 12:38
March is not an 'off' season for the Grand Canyon. Temperatures inside the canyon can start to become dangerously hot as early as late May. So March, April, and the 1st half of May are the times you want to go.

This makes "Spring Break" a popular time for hikers wanting to go to the bottom (and as a teacher, I'm assuming this is the time you are trying to go).

When I went over spring break last year. I followed the process that Shutterbug laid out and I got my 3rd choice (all three were for staying at Bright Angel Campground, but is was my 3rd choice of dates I got). The morning of my hike, there were a handful of walk-ups hoping for a reservation at Bright Angel. The night, the camp ground was absolutely full, and unlike places such as GSMNP with little ranger oversight, the rangers were checking EVERY campsite for permits.

I believe that Spring Break is a little later in the year this year... towards the end of March thru the very 1st of April. From the research I did last year, I would say that the odds are against you encountering ice on the trails that time of year. I'm not saying impossible, but I think less than 50%.

colorado_rob
01-16-2015, 17:42
Not reading all the respsonses, sorry if I'm redundant...

First, there is a huge difference between early March and late March, I don't see you specifying which. We go in late March or early april every single year, never had snow be any issue whatsoever. Once or twice we had significant snow on the North rim (we hike over and back from the south rim every spring) but never needed any traction devices. I can totally see how in early March microspikes would be useful for the top 1500' or so of the south rim trails. They face north and get little sun in places until late in the spring.

Ya know, all those alternate trails are nice, but really, my all-time favorite two trails in the GC are simply the Bright Angel and N/S Kaibab trails. Hiking down the Kaibab and up the BA (or vice-versa, really doesn't matter) is a fantastic little hike, really, that time of year very very doable in a day, though if you can spend a night in the canyon, all the better. Look into staying a night over at Cottonwood camp if Bright Angel CG is full. "Only" another 7 miles but very easy miles, nice rolling terrain and you would get to see Ribbon Falls as well. Cottonwood camp back to the south rim would not be too bad in a day, really, don't be scared by all those warning signs and non hikers' accounts. If you are reasonable fit, this is very, very doable. One day out to Cottonwood camp (use the Kaibab down), spend two nights there including hiking up at least partway to the North rim on your "off day", then hike back out using the Bright Angel trail, with a nice rest stop at Indian gardens. I only suggest Cottonwood camp because the BA campground is nearly always booked and full.

Advice from the GCNP rangers: take it all with a HUGE grain of salt, we have received bad information more times then correct information from them. I have the utmost respect for our NP system and it's rangers, but for some reason GCNP info is often just plain wrong.

Shutterbug
01-16-2015, 19:51
Unfortunately, I'm a teacher, so I'd have a choice as to when I can go. I will check out other trails, especially Supai. I'm all for beautiful waterfalls. I've never been to Big Bend, so I'll have to check out their site too.

I had no idea that my photo album from my most recent hike to Supai was so popular. Google says that it has been viewed 1.7 million times! You can find it from my web site -- http://www.davemcclung.com, or you can find it by searching for "Hike to Supai."

Dogwood
01-16-2015, 21:14
Picking up on Colorado Rob's tip of considering an alternate campsite of Cottonwood is a very good option for all the reasons he mentioned. You could break the climb back up with a night at Indian Garden and a day hike to the Plateau Pt overlook doing a 2-3 nighter. I get so excited when talking of hiking the GC. It's a place that lives up to the hype. It really is GRAND. I love hiking there. Can' get enough.

Nothing wrong with Shutterbug's Supai alternative as well. All great trips and good advice IMO.

Dogwood
01-16-2015, 21:16
Pay attention to the different NPS weather reports for March for the rims and the inner gorge as the weather will be very different at the CR compared to the S. Rim.

Miner
01-16-2015, 21:23
If you are looking for an alternative to the GC but one to still see something scenic in the Southwest, one of my favorite backpacking trips was a traverse across Zion Nation Park over 4-5 days. I hired a local shuttle from an outfitter next to the park to drive me from the east entrance to the section off the I-15. I think it's like 48 miles across though with the side trips I did, it was more like 60 miles.

biloute
01-16-2015, 21:39
Now I have even more questions. I looked at Cottonwood, and it says there's water beginning in late May. If I go that route, I'd only be there sometime between March 16-19. Would the creek be a sufficient source of water at that time if I bring a filtration system?

Would I be more likely to get a permit if I request Cottonwood the first night, then hike to Indian Gardens the next day, bypassing Bright Angel Campground? Of course, I'm assuming the area around Phantom Ranch is the biggest problem.

biloute
01-16-2015, 21:42
Also, my guidebook (Official Guide to Hiking Grand Canyon) says never to hike alone. How much of an issue would this be?

Dogwood
01-16-2015, 21:58
Now I have even more questions. I looked at Cottonwood, and it says there's water beginning in late May. If I go that route, I'd only be there sometime between March 16-19. Would the creek be a sufficient source of water at that time if I bring a filtration system?

YES. This is a quieter campground than Phantom Ranch or BA CG. It's close to Ribbon Falls as Rob said too so makes for a good side hike. You'll still be passing Phantom Ranch and BA CG from/to the S Rim.

Would I be more likely to get a permit if I request Cottonwood the first night, then hike to Indian Gardens the next day, bypassing Bright Angel Campground? Of course, I'm assuming the area around Phantom Ranch is the biggest problem.

I'd say most definitely YES. Shh, this is for you. And, once you have your permit should you have some reason why you might have to or want to stop at BA CG there's a Rangers Station nearby so you COULD check and ask to see if someone very recently canceled their BA CG reservation having a campsite available for you at BA CG. Sometimes, a couple of campsites might be reserved for emergency situations at BA CG. Ouila.

Dogwood
01-16-2015, 21:59
Also, my guidebook (Official Guide to Hiking Grand Canyon) says never to hike alone. How much of an issue would this be?

On the popular corridor trails in mid March with your planned itinerary you will not really be alone for long.

Dogwood
01-16-2015, 22:06
If you are looking for an alternative to the GC but one to still see something scenic in the Southwest, one of my favorite backpacking trips was a traverse across Zion Nation Park over 4-5 days. I hired a local shuttle from an outfitter next to the park to drive me from the east entrance to the section off the I-15. I think it's like 48 miles across though with the side trips I did, it was more like 60 miles.

That's a great traverse but if the particular one you're referring to takes you up to the higher elevations to Horsepasture, Lower(Wildcat Canyon TH)Kolob /Upper Kolob(Lava PT, Kolob Reservoir) Plateaus, or to the Kolob Canyons(Kolob Arch) area as OwenM said in the Top 10 Utah thread you could still experience snow/ice travel in March. Great hike though.

Dogwood
01-16-2015, 22:08
Indian Garden, no matter when I've been to GCNP, always had spots open due to cancellations/no shows.

colorado_rob
01-16-2015, 23:35
Also, my guidebook (Official Guide to Hiking Grand Canyon) says never to hike alone. How much of an issue would this be?Hah! You will NOT be alone on the Bright angel and Kaibab trails... those alternate trails you would be though. Still, leave the south rim early enough, before the mule trains (maybe 6am?) and you will mostly own the trail down to the phantom area, then also well above there towards cottonwood.

And yes, plenty of water at Cottonwood in the creek, good water too, though you should treat it. Also: there is piped running water, a hose tap in the yard at the "residence" about 1.25 miles above (towards the north rim) cottonwood. It's nearly always on, only shuts down during repairs, etc. In 12 years of doing the Rim-rim-rim in March and April, it was only off once. This would be a great source for you if you hike up towards the north rim from cottonwood camp. This, IMHO, is the prettiest part of the entire trail, from the residence to about 2-3 miles further up. Amazing trail in this section. On your way back down to Cottonwood, you could tank up a gallon or so and take back to camp. But really, the creek water is clean and clear.

There really is nothing special about Phantom Ranch and BA campground; crowded, busy, noisy, Indian gardens and Cottonwood are much better camps. Still, the phantom ranch area is nice to pass through, but lemonade and snacks and people-watch.