PDA

View Full Version : First time AT Hikers, Girl Scout troop

katelyn
01-15-2015, 11:24
I am from Cincinnati Ohio and my Girl Scout troop and I are planning a possible backpacking trip on the A.T. We all have been camping and hiking with each other for years and are really excited about this prospective trip as it will be our last trip together. However we need a good are to start our trip. Like I said we are from Cincinnati Ohio, when I put it into Google Maps, North Carolina pops up as the closest destination for the A.T. However if theres a closer area that is good to start on please let me know! We need a good area to start our trip, we are planning on hiking for about a week and were thinking of going North. But we are open to any suggestions. Thank you so much!

Cody Girl
01-15-2015, 11:32
This is great! When I thruhiked I met many boy scout groups but on the entire hike I only met one group of girls. It was a day camp near NYC and the girls were from Brooklyn, out for a 3 mile walk. They didn't know what to make of me! So yes! More girls need to be on the trail. You might want to look towards Pearisburg Virginia and see if that might be a closer ride for you. Good luck!

Rocket Jones
01-15-2015, 11:38
Consider Shenandoah National Park or the Roan Highlands.

katelyn
01-15-2015, 11:42
We are really excited too! Its our final year together so we have to use all of the money in our account so we thought we would do something that all of us have been dreaming about for a long time! Hiking the AT! Pearisburg VA looks about 5 hours from us which is about the same as I was getting when i looked in NC, but I didn't have any specific cities in NC to start at. So thank you so much! Are there any good trail that could get us started from there that you know off of the top of your head?

katelyn
01-15-2015, 11:45
The Roan Highlands looks like a possibility, thank you!

jfarrell04
01-15-2015, 12:34
From Dayton, Ohio the closest access to the AT is at Bland, VA (~4.5 hours). A few years back we did a long weekend Spring Break hike in that area that included Chestnut Knob, Burke's Garden etc.

illabelle
01-15-2015, 12:49
Since this trip is important to your group, I'd suggest you consider more than just what's closest. What difference does an extra hour of driving make? One of the very best places to go on the southern AT is Grayson Highlands Park in southwest Virginia, not far from Damascus. The girls will absolutely love the wild ponies, and they're easily worth a few more miles of driving! While the ponies are wild, they are tame enough that people are able to pet them.
You didn't say when you'd be going, so I'm just guessing it's this spring. Because the thru-hikers will be making their way through the southern states (GA, NC, TN, much of VA) from February through May, you could encounter some overcrowding if your schedule and itinerary coincides with theirs. Trail Days is a major thru-hiker party in Damascus in mid-May, with many hikers catching rides from wherever they are to be part of it. If your schedule is flexible, you could plan to hike north from GHP at a time that avoids Trail Days.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608039396705766667&pid=15.1&P=0

katelyn
01-15-2015, 13:11
That would be awesome. We wold love that, and you bring up a good point. But like I said we are open to anything, we are just on a bit of a tight budget so any money we can save anywhere is helpful. But I will definitely check that out thank you so much!

katelyn
01-15-2015, 13:12
Bland VA is now on my list, its about 5 hours from us. Thank you!

Pastor Bryon
01-15-2015, 13:43
Hi, Katelyn! Just to offer, I am in Buena Vista, VA, right at the split of I-81/I-64 (~ 6 hours from you). My daughter is a girl scout. She and I did our first overnighter last fall and it was incredible. I am excited for your group and their experience. As you decide dates and location, if you find you will be near us, I would be happy to offer any logistical support in the way of transportation, lodging, supplies, etc. I'm sure my daughter's troop and others locally would be willing to help also.

I would also echo some suggestions of folks here about an extra hour or two of driving to maximize your location. Virginia has several stretches that are beautiful and easily accessible. Enjoy the planning process!

Tuckahoe
01-15-2015, 16:00
Since this trip is important to your group, I'd suggest you consider more than just what's closest. What difference does an extra hour of driving make? One of the very best places to go on the southern AT is Grayson Highlands Park in southwest Virginia, not far from Damascus. The girls will absolutely love the wild ponies, and they're easily worth a few more miles of driving! While the ponies are wild, they are tame enough that people are able to pet them.
You didn't say when you'd be going, so I'm just guessing it's this spring. Because the thru-hikers will be making their way through the southern states (GA, NC, TN, much of VA) from February through May, you could encounter some overcrowding if your schedule and itinerary coincides with theirs. Trail Days is a major thru-hiker party in Damascus in mid-May, with many hikers catching rides from wherever they are to be part of it. If your schedule is flexible, you could plan to hike north from GHP at a time that avoids Trail Days.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608039396705766667&pid=15.1&P=0

+1

What duration of time and how many miles would you ladies like to put in? In Grayson Highlands, Massies Gap is a good starting point and it's about 32 miles south to Damascus. If you want more miles you can start a little further north. I like to camp in the various tent sites just past Thomas Knob shelter. There are a couple camp sites up Whitetop Mt too. Towards the end there is a point where the AT and the Creeper Trail nearly intersect be a bridge over Whitetop Laurel Creek that would be a great spot for a last night. And then finish off with a leisurely stroll into Damascus.

Another potential hike that can be adjusted for length is Pickle Branch shelter to Daleville. That would take in Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs.

TNhiker
01-15-2015, 16:08
While the ponies are wild, they are tame enough that people are able to pet them.

just because they are tame enough to pet them, that doesnt mean ya should........

or feed them.....

along with signs stating that at the park this can be found on their website......

"Visitors should not approach, feed or pet the ponies. They bite and kick when they feel threatened, and human food is bad for them."

gsingjane
01-15-2015, 16:19
Hello Katelyn, I can't tell you how excited I am to see another Girl Scout troop backpacking! I have been leading Girl Scouts on the AT in CT and MA over the past seven or so years and yours is the first other troop I've heard of. I'm too far from you to offer much in the way of logistics or detailed trail beta, but do PM me if you want to pick my brain on planning or other issues. And have a wonderful time!

"Girl Scouting" Jane

booney_1
01-15-2015, 16:28
In NC, Hot Springs is North of Asheville. It's a good place to get on and off the trail. There are safe places to park and a shuttle service.

The trail heading North or South of there makes for a nice hike. There are some great views, especially to the south. (Smokies) Check out Max Patch (south of Hot Springs).

That said...I do agree that Grayson Highlands is an awesome destination or starting point for a 1st time hike. It's as accessible from Cincinatti as Asheville. Damascus would be a great starting or ending point. Just like Hot Springs, it has local shuttle services and the trail goes right through it. Depending on the time of year...it can be crowded up top. You are more likely to have the shelters to yourself around Hot Springs during a summer hike.

Have A GREAT time!!!

rocketsocks
01-15-2015, 18:51
I've camped out along the coast with the ponies...pretty cool experience, and one I won't forget. Especially that thunderstorm that rolled through...scardiest I ever was in my life

katelyn
01-16-2015, 12:02
Thank you guys all so much for the suggestions! They are very helpful!

chris.ault.37
01-18-2015, 08:22
We're from Columbus and starting our thru in April. Starting in Atkins where the trail goes under I81. Hotels close by in Marion and The Barn restaurant a few feet from the trail. The Barn allows section hikers to park there, too!

gollwoods
01-18-2015, 17:25
I go south from ohio, I would head to standing bear hostel near I 40 and take a shuttle from there to sams gap and hike back to the car. if you take this route, you can stop at hot springs and resupply/eat in a restaurant. maybe place a package to pick up and lower our pack weight. it is a good section but not real easy.