clothing worn:
new balance trail runners
darn tough hiking socks
dirty girl gaiters
exofficio give-n-go boxer briefs
5" patagonia baggies short
synthetic t-shirt
baseball cap
sun glasses - I know, most will say leave em home. They're cheap, $5 if I don't ever use em I'll throw them in a hiker box

clothing packed:
crocs - luxury item
darn tough hiking socks - in rotation
smartwool trekking sock - heavy and loose
smartwool 250 weight leggings
patagonia cap 4 1/4 zip long sleeve
patagonia cap 4 hoody
montbell ex light down anorak
merino beanie
GI surplus wool glove liners
patagonia houdini jacket
patagonia houdini pants
rain jacket - still deciding on which rain jacket to get.. didn't like my marmot mica. thinking something like a torrent shell
bandana
buff

considering adding another pair of lightweight shorts with liner for sleeping in or to just get out of my nasty hiking shorts time to time.

also considering some type of waterproof shell for my gloves

anything you would do different?

Tri As I Might
01-15-2015, 23:31
Consider using latex medical gloves as waterproof shell for your gloves

Smooth & Wasabi
01-15-2015, 23:46
Looks great.

Do you need 2 cap 4 tops? It would be overkill for my personal metabolism but maybe not yours or maybe you want it for camp/sleeping

For sure add light wpb mittens

I'd throw in some durable VBL socks (oven bags) great over your sleep socks if shoes are wet in camp or to keep your feet warm hiking in really cold weather

fastfoxengineering
01-16-2015, 00:04
Looks great.

Do you need 2 cap 4 tops? It would be overkill for my personal metabolism but maybe not yours or maybe you want it for camp/sleeping

For sure add light wpb mittens

I'd throw in some durable VBL socks (oven bags) great over your sleep socks if shoes are wet in camp or to keep your feet warm hiking in really cold weather

I want the extra cap 4 long sleeve to have for an always dry article of clothing at camp/sleeping.

I'll look into waterproof mittens.

Fireonwindcsr
01-16-2015, 00:43
Consider using latex medical gloves as waterproof shell for your gloves

Great idea....... Or latex free if you have alergies

Frye
01-16-2015, 09:52
I want the extra cap 4 long sleeve to have for an always dry article of clothing at camp/sleeping.

I'll look into waterproof mittens.

At no point during your thru hike will you need to wear a cap 4 while hiking. You'll end up soaking in your own juices while heading up your first hill.

fastfoxengineering
01-16-2015, 10:54
At no point during your thru hike will you need to wear a cap 4 while hiking. You'll end up soaking in your own juices while heading up your first hill.

You really think so?

I know that a windshirt adds a fair amount of warmth just over a t-shirt while hiking, but I want the cap 4 hoody for those extra cold mornings and as in insulation piece in camp

I'm compelled to get some MLD eVent mittens, damn expensive though

Studlintsean
01-16-2015, 11:14
Disclaimer: I am not a thru hiker.

I would agree that the 2 Cap 4s could be a bit much. I would consider getting a lighter weight long sleeve in replacement with one of them. You could hike in this with a windshirt or rain jacket and probably be plenty warm. I would personally get rid of the hoody since you have a down jacket with hood, beannie, and a buff (3 head pieces).

fastfoxengineering
01-16-2015, 16:43
From your input, I'm thinking about switching out my long sleeve cap 4 zip up to a lighter alternative. Either a lightweight long sleeve or even a shortsleeve. I just want something dry and comfortable for camp and to sleep in

Leaning towards a t-shirt

JJMorse
01-16-2015, 17:31
Looks pretty good to me.

I have no experience with the Houdini Pants, but you should ask yourself if that's what you would want on your legs in mid-March in the Smokies if you end up with a 34 degree and rainy day. You might want something fully waterproof, as least to start with.

I also agree that a Cap 4 and a lighter, less warm alternative would be a better idea. A 100 or 150 wt. Merino, or a synthetic Silkweight long sleeve, or a Cap 1 or 2 would be a more versatile addition - for me anyways, I would be sweating in a Cap 4 hiking in 40 degrees. When summer hits you might find the Cap 4 and your down jacket redundant as well.

But you know yourself better than we do.

I like my Mountain Laurel Designs Rain Mitts a lot.

Frye
01-16-2015, 19:19
@Fast, Yeah, you shouldn't need it. Down to 33 and no wind I pretty much just wear a T-shirt, with a little wind I'll add my Houdini. In the 20's I might (MIGHT) add a cap 2 under my Houdini. Now by no means do I think you should do what I do, everyone is different, but I still don't see any reason to sport a cap 4.

I'll be starting around the same time as you and the heaviest cap I'm bringing (and the only one) will be a cap 2. I'll have a Montbell parka, wind shirt, and even rain jacket for extra warmth if needed. On the really cold nights in camp I'll be by a fire or under my quilt anyways.

fastfoxengineering
01-20-2015, 21:07
I'm thinking about switching over to some more synthetics and cutting weight in some places. I didn't realize how much weight I could save on my packed clothing.

Dropping camp shoes is gonna be tough. I love em, oh so much. However I can save a substantial amount of weight in other areas.

I hike in the longer darn tough hiking socks. I'm considering switching over to the "no shows" to shave weight. The Micro Crews I use currently weigh 2.50oz for a pair. I love them and bought them 2 years ago as my first real merino hiking socks. Love em, no blisters, no problems, ever. I trust I'll like any Darn Tough sock. Switching to the "no shows" should save me about an ounce or so. I also get to keep the same amount of cushion as in my current socks. So it'll pretty much be the same sock just stopping around the ankle. Also, they will probable dry quicker, and take up less volume in the pack. So.. 1 ounce saving in my pack, and 1 ounce saving on my feet.

I'm considering switching out my merino beanie (2.02oz) for a capilene 4 beanie (0.7oz) ... 1.3oz weight saving. I like that.

My USGI wool surplus glove liners weigh 1.7 ounces. Are there any fleece liners out there in the 1.0ounce range? If so, 0.7oz weigh saving

Mernio Bottoms (6.7oz) to Capilene 2 bottoms (5.0oz) = 1.7oz weight savings

May or may not ditch my second pair of shorts. I've always enjoyed getting into camp and swapping shorts out. They're nice to sleep in as well.

So with doing that... I have a 4.7oz weight saving. Not too shabby.

Insight, opinions, and advice please?