PDA

View Full Version : Thinking over a tarptent purchase....

Bugman88
01-16-2015, 09:52
Other than a big bulky walmart special I received for a birthday one year, I have never owned a proper tent. I've always crashed in a friend's or borrowed one for an extended trip. Since it's a big chunk of money to throw down, I'm trying to find something that will work as a go-to tent for most situations. And since lighter tends to be better, I've started focusing my search on tarptents. I find the mental security of being enclosed while on the trail is something I need, at least for now, so I'm not willing to go straight to tarps just yet. My tent history is made up entirely of traditional, double-walled free standing tents so I'm slightly nervous about getting outside of my comfort zone. The big question for everyone here: should I make the leap and buy a double rainbow? I'm trying to go lightweight but I also want something with some flexibility. I'd mostly be using it solo, but I like the idea of having a little extra space. That way if my buddy needs a place to crash (he uses a hammock and tarp) there'll be room, or if someday I manage to talk my girlfriend into spending a night in the scary outdoors it'll serve. I'm probably over-thinking things but since it's my first purchase I want to make a good decision. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Sarcasm the elf
01-16-2015, 09:56
I had many of the same concerns when I made the switch from a freestanding double wall tent to a tarptent. It took over a year of thinking it over before I bought a Double rainbow. Now that I have one, I love it and wouldn't go back (especially because it lightened my load by 3lbs vs my old tent.)

garlic08
01-16-2015, 10:07
There's no such thing as one perfect tent. If there were, there'd only be one tent for sale and that's far from the case. Most hikers own more than one for various needs. But most also have one that works very well most of the time, and that's the one you might want to look for most aggressively.

I'm a huge fan of Tarptent products, been using them for a dozen years, and I currently own two of them, a single for solo hikes and a double for trips with my spouse. I agree with your search for something with walls and a floor. I used a simple tarp for a while, but my trips usually required a ground cloth and bug protection and by the time I added those, the Tarptent provided a much better experience with very little weight or cost penalty (my Contrail cost less than $200 when I bought it). I'm also a klutz with a needle and thread, so MYOG was out of the question.

I'm sure you're aware of the drawbacks of a single wall shelter--mainly condensation. Nothing comes for free and there's always a compromise in any design. Good luck in your search. It's pretty rare to get it right the first time. The good news is there's a pretty good market here for used Tarptents.

Don H
01-16-2015, 10:11
Tarptent or Six Moon Designs. Both make quality, light weight 2 person tents, both have great service. I own a TT Rainbow and a SMD Lunar Solo.

Bugman88
01-16-2015, 10:37
Well you guys are certainly easing my mind a bit. I'm also wondering if I should just go with the Rainbow instead of the double. I doubt my friend would constantly need to jump into my tent, and it sounds like the rainbow is roomy enough for it to work in a pinch. Same thing if my girlfriend decides to give an overnighter a shot. I think it's only like a 7oz difference though, so maybe that's worth the peace of mind and flexibility....

Garlic, I did know about the condensation issue, and I think I've also read that the rainbow can get pretty windy inside. That is a bit worrying, since it hasn't been something I've had to deal with before. I can just bring a lightweight shammy or something, though, right?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for other tarptent products? I think I'm partial one that opens on the side; I don't think I'll want to crawl in and out of a smaller opening every night. I know there's a bit of a trade-off between having something that needs a specific pole (like the rainbow does) vs ones that just use guylines and hiking poles.

And I meant to ask earlier, are there any Boston-area natives that might have a tarptent and be able to show me the ropes?

Dochartaigh
01-16-2015, 10:43
I'm sure you're aware of the drawbacks of a single wall shelter--mainly condensation. Nothing comes for free and there's always a compromise in any design.

I agree with your other comments completely, but with a properly designed single wall tent (i.e. with a large space that's open with netting to good airflow), I've found tents like my TarpTent Moment (the last version back which is single wall) has less problems with condensation (like zero condensation that I've experiences) than any of my previous double wall tents. So in a nutshell, don't discount the effects of a good design overcoming some of the perceived shortcomings of an overall design category. YMMV of course.

To the OP: looking back on the tents I've had, I'll probably never buy a single person tent again. I like having the freedom of movement a 2-person tent gives me, and will deal with the slight weight penalty. I can situp in my Moment perfectly fine, but that's about all. Even changing clothing can be a little daunting in that smaller space (I am a big guy though, so it might be better for smaller people out there). Love my custom built Bilgy Too (two person) tent for all the space it gives me (well, in the backyard at least, just got it and only set it up once ;)

Mobius
01-16-2015, 11:03
There are lots (almost too many!) solid choices from Tarptent. I started with a Stratospire 2 for family backpacking (it fits 2+). As I got more experience and wanted to go lighter I picked up a Notch for solo trips. I only mention it because my original thought was "buy bigger, 2-man as a 1-man will be fine". It's funny how fast I changed my mind! Weight aside, sometimes the smaller footprint of the 1-man is useful.

Both have withstood rainy nights with no issues. Condensation is occasionally an issue depending on where I pitch the tent, but far less than I expected.

I like the dual side entry on both tents. On warm, dry nights I often sleep with both sides fully open.

Good luck making a decision!

Frye
01-16-2015, 11:10
Well you guys are certainly easing my mind a bit. I'm also wondering if I should just go with the Rainbow instead of the double. I doubt my friend would constantly need to jump into my tent, and it sounds like the rainbow is roomy enough for it to work in a pinch. Same thing if my girlfriend decides to give an overnighter a shot. I think it's only like a 7oz difference though, so maybe that's worth the peace of mind and flexibility....

Garlic, I did know about the condensation issue, and I think I've also read that the rainbow can get pretty windy inside. That is a bit worrying, since it hasn't been something I've had to deal with before. I can just bring a lightweight shammy or something, though, right?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for other tarptent products? I think I'm partial one that opens on the side; I don't think I'll want to crawl in and out of a smaller opening every night. I know there's a bit of a trade-off between having something that needs a specific pole (like the rainbow does) vs ones that just use guylines and hiking poles.

And I meant to ask earlier, are there any Boston-area natives that might have a tarptent and be able to show me the ropes?

If you're looking into a tent that could fit a second in on occasion, but not as a regular occurrence, I would look at LightheartGears Solong. As for Tarptent, I think they have great tents. I used one of the DW Moments last season and enjoyed its ease of use a ton. If you do buy one of Henry's tents I wouldn't worry about learning the ropes, it's hard to mess up a Tarptent pitch.

I've found tents like my TarpTent Moment (the last version back which is single wall) has less problems with condensation (like zero condensation that I've experiences) than any of my previous double wall tents. So in a nutshell, don't discount the effects of a good design overcoming some of the perceived shortcomings of an overall design category.

I used to think that, used single wall tents and for the longest time and never had a condensation issue problematic enough to worry about, eventually though I had a few very problematic ones. Sometimes good site selection just isn't in the cards. Don't get me wrong, I still own and sometimes use a single wall setup, but more often then not now go double wall.

Venchka
01-16-2015, 11:21
Moment
Double Moment
StratoSpire 1
StratoSpire 2

'Nuff said.

Wayne

Bugman88
01-16-2015, 11:24
Well, I think since I'm trying to get a jack-of-all-cards tent at the moment I'll go with the Double Rainbow. I'm sure I'll inevitably get the itch to get something more specialized down the road, but it seems like this will work just fine for now. So I guess I have a few questions about the options that come with it. Does anyone have a preference for aluminum vs carbon fiber poles? Ever use the inner liner? I think I'm going to get them to seam seal it for me since I've never done anything like that before, but do they do a good job or will I have to go over it again anyways? It's funny how adding all the bells and whistles has already made the price jump up to $374.

Rocket Jones
01-16-2015, 12:24
Love my Double Rainbow. Room enough for two, like a palace when I hike solo.

I seam sealed mine myself (first time for me) and it wasn't that big a deal. Plus I added some seal dots to the floor to cut down on the slipperyness.

The liner has been on my wish-list for a few years now, but I've never regretted not having it.

msumax1985
01-16-2015, 13:04
How are you going to use the tent?
If you're just a weekender, or you do low mileage, then one multipurpose tent sounds fine.

But if you do multi-week sections, or intend a thru hike, then the extra weight of a two person tent gets old real quick. You shouldn't carry extra weight every day, day after day, on the remote possibility that your buddy might need help--everyone should be self reliant. If you do long distance hikes, you should get a tent to serve that need only. Buy a cheap Walmart tent when/if your girlfriend wants to try it out sometime. They should hold together OK for a few night trip.

I give this advice because I had the same intent as you when I started out. And I am now on my third tent. It would have been cheaper to buy the one I needed from the start.

Sirsnappy09
01-16-2015, 13:14
I have owned an early model contrail, rainbow, and a lunar duo. As mentioned both TT and SMD make great tarptents. I use a tarp now unless my SO goes. Then we use the lunar duo. You will like the double rainbow. It's a great design.

DrL
01-18-2015, 21:38
I just bought a Rainbow in the fall. So far, so good.

No problems with condensation. The weatherman was calling for heavy rain the day after I completed seam sealing. I figured it was an omen for a test run. Spent the entire night in a down pour. No leaks, no condensation, and no problems with wind.

The size is good and I think it would suit your purpose. There is plenty of room for solo trips. I can keep all my gear inside the tent and there is still plenty of room to stretch out and roll around.

It will definitely fit two, but you might be a little short on space for gear.

Bugman88
01-20-2015, 11:47
Thanks everyone who helped make my decision easier. I went with the double rainbow with aluminum poles and fly. I also had them seam seal it for me since I'd have no room and no idea how to do it.