PDA

View Full Version : Clothes, cooking, and bears

Bugman88
01-16-2015, 09:58
Since I started researching lightweight backpacking, I've frequently come across the suggestion of incorporating your clothing into your sleep system. This always comes with the caveat, "If you're in bear country, don't sleep in the same clothes you cooked in." However, this advice typically comes from the same people who say don't bring extra clothes. So if that's the case, what do you wear when you cook? This is probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Do you bring a change of camp clothes and wear that while cooking? What if the it's cold and you need to toss on your wool pullover? You're likely to be cold enough to want to wear that pullover in your sleeping bag/under your quilt. What are the expert opinions on the matter?

Thanks!

swjohnsey
01-16-2015, 10:25
Cook naked or quit worrying about bears.

peakbagger
01-16-2015, 10:39
Not an issue on the east coast but is reportedly an issue on the west coast. East coast black bears are habituated to food and they know exactly where hikers are but go for the easy stuff that is inevitably left around a heavily used campsite.

I saw a presentation once on some kayakers paddling in a remote area of Alaska, the area had an abundant polar bear population, their approach was cook and eat on one island, set up camp on another island and paddle back in the AM to get their food and cooking gear. Apparently in some areas with bear issues, folks bring portable electric fences.

wannahike
01-16-2015, 10:42
[QUOTE=Bugman88 This always comes with the caveat, "If you're in bear country, don't sleep in the same clothes you cooked in." However, this advice typically comes from the same people who say don't bring extra clothes.
Thanks![/QUOTE]
Usually referring to grizzly bear country in which they probably don't hike.

Sarcasm the elf
01-16-2015, 10:43
Generally if someone says "bear country" what they actually mean is Grizzley country. The Eastern US/appalachian trail only has black bears which are much smaller animals that have a much milder temperment and generally aren't a danger.

The site below is an excellent resource about black bears. Spend some time reading through it and it should alleviate most of your fears.

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/basic-bear-facts.html

Bugman88
01-16-2015, 11:19
That's some terrific feedback. Thanks for alleviating my concerns (and the weight of my packed clothes)!

Frye
01-16-2015, 11:26
I wouldn't worry about it. I think it was on BPL that someone put it all in perspective for me. They said something along the lines of 'We hang our food, cookpots, and toothpaste every night in a tree and then proceed to wrap ourselves in a goose flavored burrito when we lay down for the night...'

Not an exact quote but close enough. Still makes me chuckle.

Feral Bill
01-16-2015, 12:29
I've hiked in grizzly country often, including with children. I have never heard of anyone actually changing clothes to cook. Not even the most bear phobic.

ATAdam
01-16-2015, 23:45
Only time I saw bears on the hole trail was in NJ of all places. A kid threw his coco mix under the pick-a-nick table and a few hours after everyone was asleep I woke up to a few bears trundling under the table for goodies. Pretty innocuous.

Few bears while trail blazing in NH, but I was asking for it, off in some real wilderness - Maine too on a three week hack and slash wander.. but not the AT.

Connie
01-17-2015, 01:44
I hike and camp in grizzley country.

I avoid strong odor foods. Much food has little odor. Even so, I use an Opsak food bag and an Opsak garbage bag.

I do not change clothing. However, I often do not camp where I prepared food.

My gear is not near food preparation.

In addition, I do not get near smoke of a cooking fire; I select low-smoke wood, as well.

If others have a wood smoke fire, I do not go near or downwind that fire. The food odors of previous fires are in a fire pit, whether the present group prepares food or not. I leave. I go elsewhere.

I am not fearful of grizzley bears. Nevertheless, I do not want bears to associate me with food odors.

garlic08
01-17-2015, 09:27
It has little to do with bears, but I almost always eat and clean up in a nice picnic spot near water, then load up with water for the night and hike on a couple of hours to a dry camp.

It has more to do with an enjoyment of hiking after dinner in the cool evening hours, of finding a virgin campsite on a dry ridge with no condensation and a great view, of getting away from the mosquitoes and rodents often associated with pounded campsites near water. Getting away from habituated bears is a bonus.

shelb
01-17-2015, 13:42
I cook in the same clothes I hike in, sleep in, and eat in... meaning I only have one other change, and those are saved for town.

On the A.T., the bears have always run when they saw me - like frightened deer.

Feral Bill
01-17-2015, 14:58
I hike and camp in grizzley country.

I avoid strong odor foods. Much food has little odor. Even so, I use an Opsak food bag and an Opsak garbage bag.

I do not change clothing. However, I often do not camp where I prepared food.

My gear is not near food preparation.

In addition, I do not get near smoke of a cooking fire; I select low-smoke wood, as well.

If others have a wood smoke fire, I do not go near or downwind that fire. The food odors of previous fires are in a fire pit, whether the present group prepares food or not. I leave. I go elsewhere.

I am not fearful of grizzley bears. Nevertheless, I do not want bears to associate me with food odors.

That's the way to do it, and who would know better? (Based on avatar)

Odd Man Out
01-17-2015, 15:39
A couple of years ago, I corresponded with a well known bear biologist about this and other topics. He said that "This notion of 'don't sleep in clothes you cooked in or even have them in your tent' is misguided as far as I'm concerned." This was based on the idea "that the presence of people is more of a deterrent than food is an attractant." This was in the context of discussing Black Bears. He also told the story of a woman who had her scalp ripped off because she had used heavily apricot scented shampoo. The most important defense is to smell like a human.

Coffee
01-17-2015, 16:29
It has little to do with bears, but I almost always eat and clean up in a nice picnic spot near water, then load up with water for the night and hike on a couple of hours to a dry camp.

It has more to do with an enjoyment of hiking after dinner in the cool evening hours, of finding a virgin campsite on a dry ridge with no condensation and a great view, of getting away from the mosquitoes and rodents often associated with pounded campsites near water. Getting away from habituated bears is a bonus.

I avoided dry camping for a long time until I had to do so in Colorado last year due to distances between water sources. I really enjoyed it. I cooked dinner at a water source, loaded up on water and dry camped. I'm going to do that more in the future even in places with more plentiful water sources. It's almost a guaranteed way to camp in seclusion since hardly anyone wants to do this.

MuddyWaters
01-17-2015, 20:37
Black bears in other areas can be more aggressive if they are not conditioned to avoid people. Not sleeping in clothing with food odors on them, or food itself, is never a bad idea. This is what the BSA requires at its Philmont scout ranch. Day clothing is not kept in the tent, it goes under rainfly with packs.. Clothing with known food spill on it, gets bearbagged. Overkill? Most of the time yes. But, everything you can do to help prevent an encounter between a person and a bear, is good for the bear. Most people tend only to think of themselves. From the BSA standpoint, they have 20-30,000 people per summer at Philmont, and they are VERY successful at minimizing human-bear encounters. But in spite of all the effort, some still happen, and there have been people injured by bears there, bitten in their tents, drug out of their tents, there and bears put down because of it. One case I recall, the bear was only 130 lb female.

My own take on it, is food is much scarcer in the drought-ridden west, and will drive bears to seek food more aggressively, and investigate tantalizing odors as well. The lush appalachian forests have a lot of mast and rotting logs full of grubs, etc.

I hardly ever take my clothes off, and if I do, they are in my tent with me. I am careful not to get food on me, or wipe food covered hands on my clothing.

Toon
01-21-2015, 02:20
Your always going to smell while hiking. Try to avoid getting food on your clothing. I bring enough clothing that if it gets really bad I will need every piece of clothing on in my bag to be comfortable.