PDA

View Full Version : Maybe some good news for public transportation to AT in CT!

gsingjane
01-16-2015, 10:44
I read this morning that there are serious plans under consideration to extend Metro North railroad service up past Danbury and into New Milford and possibly even Kent! Even if the line doesn't extend as far as Kent, it would make trail access much more accessible for folks coming from NYC. Here is the article: http://www.newmilfordspectrum.com./news/article/Passenger-rail-service-may-yet-make-its-return-6018348.php

It doesn't look like this would happen for a while, but it sure would be terrific when (if) it does!

Jane

WingedMonkey
01-16-2015, 14:45
Mayor Pat Murphy (http://www.newmilfordspectrum.com./search/?action=search&channel=news&inlineLink=1&searchindex=gsa&query=%22Pat+Murphy%22), a representative to the WCCOG, said she would like to see passenger rail service restored as far north as Pittsfield, Mass., as it was for much of the 19th century and up through the 1960s.

This would be great. The Housatonic Railroad goes right next to the church bell tower where I sometimes stay in Van Deusenville/Great Barrington.

:banana

http://www.hrrc.com/passenger-service/

Just Tom
01-16-2015, 16:16
I read this morning that there are serious plans under consideration to extend Metro North railroad service up past Danbury and into New Milford and possibly even Kent! Even if the line doesn't extend as far as Kent, it would make trail access much more accessible for folks coming from NYC. Here is the article: http://www.newmilfordspectrum.com./news/article/Passenger-rail-service-may-yet-make-its-return-6018348.php

It doesn't look like this would happen for a while, but it sure would be terrific when (if) it does!

Jane

Can't you already catch a train from Grand Central directly to the trail just before CT in NY? I guess it would be good to make a multi-day loop for those in the city where you could get off at the NY stop and then get back on for the return trip some place farther north.

RED-DOG
01-16-2015, 16:47
The Appalachian Trail Metro-North Rail Road Station is between Pawling and Doverplains in NY " it's right on the AT " but the train only stops their on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays, It's $8.75 on the Harlem Line it goes right in to Grand Central Station, I did a side trip into NYC on my 2012 AT thru-hike and this is an awesome way to get to NYC, It's one of the more memorable times of all three of my thru's.

getting back to the topic yeah that's going to be great especially if they extend it in to Kent.

Sarcasm the elf
01-16-2015, 17:04
The Appalachian Trail Metro-North Rail Road Station is between Pawling and Doverplains in NY " it's right on the AT " but the train only stops their on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays, It's $8.75 on the Harlem Line it goes right in to Grand Central Station, I did a side trip into NYC on my 2012 AT thru-hike and this is an awesome way to get to NYC, It's one of the more memorable times of all three of my thru's.

getting back to the topic yeah that's going to be great especially if they extend it in to Kent.

There is a full service station a couple of miles north of there that can be used during the rest of the week when the A.T. Station isn't running, Wingdale station if I recall. Several folks have told me it's a relatively easy hitch from rte 22 to there.

Leanthree
01-17-2015, 01:47
There is a bus to NYC from Pittsfield that is pretty full every time I've been on it. A train would be a great way to see that part of the trail.

Sarcasm the elf
01-17-2015, 02:27
This would be great. The Housatonic Railroad goes right next to the church bell tower where I sometimes stay in Van Deusenville/Great Barrington.

:banana

http://www.hrrc.com/passenger-service/

I have friends that live in walking distance from the now defunct station in Great Barrington. I would love it if that got running again.

Do you know what those tracks are used for now? I wasn't sure if it was still a passenger line or if it was used for freight instead.

WingedMonkey
01-17-2015, 11:47
I have friends that live in walking distance from the now defunct station in Great Barrington. I would love it if that got running again.

Do you know what those tracks are used for now? I wasn't sure if it was still a passenger line or if it was used for freight instead.

The Housatonic Railroad (privately owned) runs freight between Danbury CT and Pittsfield MA.

For about 10 years the Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum ran tourist/sightseeing trains between Lenox and Stockbridge, which ended in 2012, after Housatonic claimed Berkshire Scenic had safety violations and would not renew lease.

The talk is that Housatonic RR was trying to get more Mass DOT monies and federal grants for this proposed passenger service.

Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum owns the Lenox station and has a lease arrangement for the Stockbridge station from the philanthropic arm of the owners of the Red Lion Inn.

grnmtngirl
02-01-2015, 18:02
It'd be nice if there were more services to get to the airports. Both Bradley and Albany. A lot of section hikers who end near Great Barrington or in CT seem to request shuttles seem to be coming or going from those airports. I've had to turn down lots of folks due to my FT work schedule who are trying to get to those places in a more timely manner than current public transportation can provide.