PDA

View Full Version : Ride from the Trail: Master List of drivers? and/or Uber/Lyft on the trail

bsteinberg
01-16-2015, 12:40
Is there a listing or source for potential drivers who offer rides from the trail?

I know getting a ride (hitch hiking) is common on the trail and in the past I've done it with luckily good results. Getting a ride is considered trail magic, but for me a kid of the 70's hitch hiking (and smoking) was the worse things you could do, the stuff of many a after school special. It's plan risky.

So this year, now that I have a smartphone, I would much prefer a sure thing and call ahead for rides.

It would be great to have a ride arranged and waiting for my when I came to a road for ride to town, or even a quick ride for a round trip to a store.

I was also curious if anyone has used Uber or Lyft, or if the trail was too remote from these more urban taxi services.

illabelle
01-16-2015, 12:53
Use the link below to access lots of basic AT info. On this specific page, there's a link to a PDF list of shuttlers, organized by state, with contact info. Call, tell 'em what you need, agree on terms/times/etc, trade phone numbers, and you're ready.
For our section hiking, we typically set things up a couple weeks ahead, then confirm about 2-3 days ahead, and again in route to the meet-up point.

http://appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking