PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of Baxter State Park

jimyjam
01-16-2015, 15:31
I am starting a thru hike in 2016 and have been doing some research and planning. A year or so ago I was planning on having my spouse and really good friend from RI meet me at Baxter State park upon my arrival because they wanted to hike Katahdin with me then when finished I would leave with them.
But after finding out that Baxter State park was a special place like no other along the AT and therefore very hard to get in at the last minute, I have decided to explore other options. I do not wish to add to the existing problem at Baxter by having anyone meet me at the park.
So my question is How does one get out of Baxter State Park? It doesn't seem that they have shuttle services and I have searched the Internet and do not find any shuttle services. Do I hike back out of Baxter the way I came in? Then aren't you at the 100 mile wilderness? Or is there a trail town close that I could hike to and stay at a hotel/hostel, which would give me a place to gather myself and make appropriate arrangements?
I ask because I do not know and want to learn so Please show respect to myself and all posters. If you cannot do that I ask that you just bypass this thread. Thank you.

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

SteelCut
01-16-2015, 15:34
You can hitch or arrange a shuttle into Millinocket. http://appalachiantraillodge.com/services/shuttles/ (http://appalachiantraillodge.com/services/shuttles/)

jimyjam
01-16-2015, 15:43
Thank you SteelCut

Starchild
01-16-2015, 18:37
I hitched, at sundown, and was warmly accommodated.

I was also offered a overnight camp site, and the gear needed to do that (since I slacked Katahdin w/o the overnight gear, and ended up on the other side with my gear in Millinocket)

The trail will provide is something one learns along the way.

Even from a recent letter from Baxter Park to ATC, even the park rangers and staff have been known to accommodate such a hiker in need. (however that letter has to do with a different subject, namely a concern about the number of thru hikers and the resources that support them)

swjohnsey
01-16-2015, 19:10
Also depend on when you plan on hitting Baxter State Park. After Labor Day it isn't very busy.

TJ aka Teej
01-16-2015, 21:01
You're thinking waaaay too far ahead. Almost everyone leaving BSP will be headed into Millinocket. At 4PM during the season a shuttle shows up at the ranger cabin to take hikers into town. Here's the best strategy - by Monson you'll be able to calculate the day you'll be hiking into Baxter. In stead of leaving all to chance, call the Park and get a rez at Katahdin Stream Campground for the nights before and after your climb, if it's a weekday - and absolutely NOT Labor Day weekend - there will be spots open. Put the rez in the name of the folks driving in, and include the fact you'll be hiking in. They'll pick up the paperwork at the gate, and the Ranger will know about your rez too.

oldwetherman
01-16-2015, 21:20
TJ. Thanks for that bit of information. It's very helpful.

jimyjam
01-16-2015, 22:24
TJ...Very helpful thank you! I know I have quite some time before I have to absolutely worry about it and I'm not to concerned now. I like to be prepared and have time to way my options so when the time comes I pretty much know the possibilities that exist. I'm a bit of a planner and like to be prepared.