PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cooking on the AT/a solid cooking system

Bugman88
01-16-2015, 16:22
I posted this over in general gear talk, but perhaps it's more relevant in this section of the forum.

This is a two part question and the two kind of go hand-in-hand. First off, I'm a bit new to backpacking in general. The most I've done is a week-long trip on the Long Trail. I've found that I'm terrible at packing food and I always pack more than I need. I'm planning on joining my buddy for the first couple of weeks of his AT thru hike and I'm wondering about how people typically resupply and what they do for cooking. In the past, I've brought most of what I'm going to eat with me and that tends to be store-bought dehydrated meals. Since we'd be planning on resupplying at grocery stores, what do people typically buy that will also be conducive to quick cooking? I don't want to go through the hassle of dehydrating my own meals and sending them down.

This leads to the second part of my question. Does anyone have a good suggestion for an all-around cooking system, including pot, stove, windscreen, stand. I bought a whisperlite ages ago, before I started researching more about lightweight hiking, but never actually used it. I understand that this is a bit overkill for solo use, especially since I'm trying to cut down weight. On one trip I used my friend's JetBoil, which was fantastic. I also made a DIY alcohol stove for my last trip, which worked well but by the end of the week was a bit squished and leaking flames out of the sides. I'm leaning towards purchasing a professionally-made alcohol stove, possibly the caldera cone, on account of its versatility in fuel sources. However, if I can't find food that works well with the boil water and let it sit method of cooking (see part 1), then I'm not sure it'll be good enough. I've also never bought a pot, so suggestions on what would work well with a given stove and windscreen combo would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Demeter
01-18-2015, 08:29
There are a ton of threads on which stove is best, which cooking method is best (cook in pot vs FBC), as well as which fuel is best. A cooking system is as personal a choice as which backpack or sleeping bag to get. I have a JetBoil, Whisperlite, 2 wood stoves, and a ton of alcohol stoves. They each have their uses, but my go-to favorite is currently a Caldera Cone with a Toaks 850 pot and Starlyte stove.

BTW I have three Caldera Cone systems! :)

Starchild
01-18-2015, 10:11
I think I posted on they other post you mentioned. My advice would be the same as in that other thread. Start out with a workable option, hike and see what others use in the field. Also find out what you want to cook on the trail, or maybe would rather go no-cook. How you eat is a large part of HYOH, and will be a precess of self discovery, and part of the reason hikers usually have so many stoves.

Only after you get a feel for how you will resupply will the stove choice become clearer.

You really should have a idea of:
-How many times per day you will cook?
-What you intend to cook?
- What is the hassle factor you will want to put up with to cook?
- How much time is OK to cook? (as short as possible - I have a hike today, to I have all day and enjoy doing it)
-What cooking methods do you want to use? (Boil water only, simmer, frying, baking, roasting)
- Where do you intend to cook? (in shelter protected cooking areas, in tent vestibules when raining, on windy viewpoints)
- Plan to melt snow or purify water by boiling?
- Time between cooking fuel resupply points?
- Prefer a wide flat pot (use as a plate and bowl - easier to use as a plate), or a narrow tall pot (use as a mug or bowl - easier to use as a cup)

As you can see there are many variables and I'm sure I left out some. And a set up for one hike you do may prefer one system, and another hike a different system.

For me in the colder weather I want more hot meals, so a canister stove / jetboil works well. In warmer weather a alchy or esbit system saves me weight.

Bugman88
01-20-2015, 12:00
Well I think I'm going with the caldera cone system. I just bought an Evernew 0.9L pot but I'm actually having trouble accessing the traildesigns site. It keeps timing out. Anyone else have that issue?

If it'll help your recommendation Starchild, I can address some of your points.
-I only plan on cooking once per day, at dinner. I hate taking prolonged stops so I'm even moving away from making PB&J for lunch, just because I'd rather keep moving. But at night I really like the pick me up of a nice warm meal.
-That's part of my problem, and part one of the question. I like easy, simple meals. I love the dehydrated mountain house foods but since I'll need to rely on resupplying, I'm a little out of my element. I'm not quite sure what options are good, quick, and easy. Ideally I just want to boil water and let something sit for a bit.
-The lower the better :)
-I don't really mind if water takes a while to boil or if I have to let something hydrate for a bit. I don't plan on gourmet cooking though, at least not until I become more familiar with food choices
-Boiling, maybe simmering.
-Mostly just at shelters
-Not at this time. I'll have a sawyer and some aqua mira as backup. I sincerely hope I don't have to deal with melting snow.
-There's the rub. I'm not sure since my friend is doing most of the planning. Probably only 4-5 days, maybe a week at most?
-I think I like the benefit of a lower pot. Less likely for me to tip it over, don't tend to bring too much hot coco. That's why I ended up going with the Evernew.

So, with the pot in mind and some of those questions answered, any suggestions on a professionally-made alcohol stove? I think the best options for me are the caldera (since it really is a whole system), an evernew, or a trangia. I think the best systems for the last two incorporate the clickstand. Does this work well enough as a windscreen? I think the caldera seems a bit more efficient.

Also, just to ask again, does anyone have issues accessing traildesigns' website? I know Anti-Gravity Gear also sells their stuff but since I bought the pot separate I'd rather just get the cone system.

Thanks!

Connie
01-20-2015, 13:33
The entire internet experiences slow-down, some say related to time-of-day.

It could be your service provider, or, website maintainance.

I know I am not getting the 30/4 service I pay for. I have no slow down for website maintainance (when I will get a "round tuit") because I use Filezilla in real-time, checking "the results" as I make the changes.

Since you like to make only supper, you might consider putting something in a tortilla or two for lunch and/or have a thermos making breakfast ready for in the morning.

Even a poptart (ugh!) breakfast hiker can "make" a tortilla burrito or two for lunch.

I have already listed the stove systems I use at the other thread, I think. They need to be a complete system to be effective, whatever flame source you like. For a silent stove, I like the alcohol stoves I have. For a one canister hike, and, a valve-controlled flame, I like my SOTO OD-1R Micro Regukator Stove system I have assembled. For ambiance camping, I like my contained small cooking wood fire. I use zelph's folding wood stove. I use it only in "calm weather - no wind" so I can enjoy the wood fire aspect. I select low pitch no-spark wood. In a pitch pine forest, for example, I do not have a wood fire.

Bugman88
01-20-2015, 15:38
Connie, I believe on the other thread you mentioned using the Starlyte. It looks like when you purchase a Caldera Cone you can request to receive a Starlyte rather than (or in addition to) their 12-10 stove. I was wondering why do you go with the Starlyte?

Sirsnappy09
01-20-2015, 15:48
The starlyte is great. cAnt spill it and superlight. One central flame and ready to go as soon as you light it. I used one on a thru in 09 with no issues. I Like a jetboil for convenience and speed. It's really a preference.

Connie
01-20-2015, 17:38
+1 and not having to pour alcohol in the tray for "preheat" and no flare-up "bloom".

I like the w/lid also:

1. No yellow container Heet odor escapes.

2. My Starlyte w/lid goes in a pocket, a true "pocket stove". I just thought of that! : D

I won't have a camping stove that will flare-up, no matter how many $$$ I paid for it.

+ 1 for JetBoil for "hot water right now".

The JetBoil MiniMo has the regulator stove technogy. It will "simmer" as nicely as my SOTO OD-1R Micro Regulator Stove. The MiniMo also has a nice low-profile.

Bugman88
01-20-2015, 18:06
Well I definitely think the Caldera Cone system is going to be in my immediate future. Now I just have to settle between the aluminum original (nice and cheap) or the TiTri Sidewinder (a bit more hefty of a price tag). The first one comes with a nice kit including a container that can be used for a separate bowl/mug while the latter can be used with wood fuel and would roll up nicely to fit inside my pot. Decisions, decisions....

I think I'll get both the 12-10 and the Starlyte, since it's $12 additional to get the Starlyte and only $16 to get both. Might as well try the two out. I understand the benefit of not letting the alcohol slosh out of your stove, but I also came upon a comparison of the two stoves that said the Starlyte had a much longer time to boil. I'm a bit impatient so I'm not so sure that suits my style.
http://sticksblog.com/2013/08/02/the-starlyte-the-12-10/

Connie
01-20-2015, 21:24
I have the "standard" burn Starlyte w/lid from Zelph's website, and, the "simmer" Starlyte w/lid sold for the Caldera Cone System.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-burner-with-lid.php

Zelph made the "standard" Starlyte w/lid first, then, had requests for the "simmer" Starlyte w/lid.

I purchased his carbon felt, for having any stove with that screen he makes "simmer".

zelph
01-21-2015, 00:41
Well I definitely think the Caldera Cone system is going to be in my immediate future. Now I just have to settle between the aluminum original (nice and cheap) or the TiTri Sidewinder (a bit more hefty of a price tag). The first one comes with a nice kit including a container that can be used for a separate bowl/mug while the latter can be used with wood fuel and would roll up nicely to fit inside my pot. Decisions, decisions....

I think I'll get both the 12-10 and the Starlyte, since it's $12 additional to get the Starlyte and only $16 to get both. Might as well try the two out. I understand the benefit of not letting the alcohol slosh out of your stove, but I also came upon a comparison of the two stoves that said the Starlyte had a much longer time to boil. I'm a bit impatient so I'm not so sure that suits my style.
http://sticksblog.com/2013/08/02/the-starlyte-the-12-10/

Calera Cone from Antigravity Gear

Caldera Cone System
http://antigravitygear.com/shop/stoves-accessories/caldera-cone-system/

Toon
01-21-2015, 01:35
I would suggest a pocket rocket or something similar. A snowpeak 700 or 900 mug. Use tinfoil for a windscreen. If your a coffee person I would go with the gsi french press mug. I've used this setup for 3 years now. No suggestions on food your taste will change a lot.

QiWiz
01-21-2015, 11:51
There are many many good options. I would start by deciding if you are going to eat out of a bag or pot, and how much water you want/need to heat/boil at a time for the type of food and hot drinks you like. This will help you figure out pot size. The lightest options for a stove/burner use alcohol or Esbit; both need a good windscreen - you can DIY or purchase these. You could consider a wood burning stove, but that might be sticking your neck out more than you want to at this point.