PDA

View Full Version : Tucker-Johnson Shelter

twilight
01-16-2015, 23:23
Has this shelter been rebuilt? Does anyone know? Use to be about .4 miles off the AT on the LT, reached from the Maine Junction.

Twilight

Jeff
01-17-2015, 05:47
No it has not been rebuilt. Several tentsites nearby.

Arden
01-18-2016, 21:19
Does anyone know why the shelter burned down? Was there a forest fire, did someone's stove explode/leak, etc?
It was a pretty nice shelter. I never slept in the shelter, but tented nearby a couple of times. Nice when Gifford Woods is full, or you just don't want to pay for a site.

Slo-go'en
01-18-2016, 22:41
Somebody set fire to it, don't recall exactly how or why. None of the links to the news paper articles work anymore.

mattjv89
01-18-2016, 23:20
A little while back when I was looking for info about the shelter burning I recall finding a state page where they had an open request for proposals for the reconstruction. Seemed kind of strange that the state was involved and not just GMC, maybe they allocated some funding for it. Anyways the way that kind of process moves I'm sure it'll be rebuilt any day now.

Jeff
01-21-2016, 06:56
Green Mountain Club is finally talking about rebuilding the shelter...hopefully in the near future, but these kind of plans sometimes get pushed back.

The Long Trail News publication confirmed the burning was an act of arson.

Arden
01-21-2016, 16:54
Green Mountain Club is finally talking about rebuilding the shelter...hopefully in the near future, but these kind of plans sometimes get pushed back.

The Long Trail News publication confirmed the burning was an act of arson. It's a shame that the shelter is gone, but it angers me to know that it was a deliberate act.

attroll
12-02-2019, 20:26
UPDATE: This shelter has been rebuilt.

Cookerhiker
12-05-2020, 22:31
I hiked to this shelter a few week ago on a day-hike, didn't camp over. Shelter looked good. Don't expect any frills like some other VT shelters e.g. Little Rock Pond or Stratton Pond.