PDA

View Full Version : Rucks

Lone Wolf
10-27-2005, 14:14
Anyone know if/when/where any Rucks will be held in the near future?

Spirit Walker
10-27-2005, 14:25
Yes. I know of three: one in Colorado at the hostel in Leadville, one in NC (MLC weekend) and one at Pine Grove Furnace in PA (last weekend in January).

Lone Wolf
10-27-2005, 14:27
Wll the one in NC be at the NOC like last year?

Hammock Hanger
10-27-2005, 14:37
I believe so... that was the word on another forum.

Almost There
10-27-2005, 14:45
Orangebug was telling me about the one in NC on MLK weekend!

Lone Wolf
10-27-2005, 14:52
I was there last year. I led a blue-blaze hike down the Wesser Creek Trail. :)

dharmabum86
10-27-2005, 16:07
Hey L.Wolf,
I talked to Clyde and he will have a slide show of last years ruck in NC for this year's ruck. He's sending me a copy of it! I got some killer pics, some even had your mug in them. Anyway, from what I hear it's at NOC again.
OJ

Sly
10-27-2005, 17:00
The Southern Ruck will be held again at NOC over MLK weekend. The SR website should be updated within in the next couple weeks.

Southern Ruck (http://www.soruck.com)

Lone Wolf you're welcome to lead another hike on Saturday morning this year. Let me know and I'll add it to the program.

Nightwalker
10-30-2005, 19:50
Yeah, that Sly is a great webslinger. Or der Sveedish Sheff hecked du site ur sumpin'.

Or I hit the wrong button on this Firefox thingie.
--------------------------
IMPORTENT STOoFF

Breeng a fleshleeght fur nefeegeting eruoond effter derk.

Zee cummooneety ruum is fur meels oonly, su du nut leefe-a unytheeng zeere-a thet yuoo du nut vunt tu luse-a.

Poot yuoor neme-a oon iferytheeng thet yuoo vunt tu hefe-a et zee eed ooff zee veekend.

Breeng iferytheeng yuoo need tu cuuk veet - puts, puns, utenseels, meetts, tungs, meexers, itc.

Ve'll need cuffffee-a mekers, und hut veter mekers, und hut tea mekers, und iced tea mekers.

Ve'll need selt, pepper, sooger, sveetener, cuffffee-a mete-a, tubescu, und vhetefer ilse-a yuoo cun theenk ooff speece-a-veese-a.

Ve'll need peper und plestic guuds (pletes, utenseels, nepkeens, peper tooels, itc), serfeeng utenseels, bovls und zee leeke-a fur serfeeng fuuds und snecks, fueel und plestic vrep, cootting boerds, itc.

Ve'll need deeshveshing detergent, scroobbeees, und deesh tooels.

Breeng teble-a cluths iff yuoo gut 'em, und loondry detergent su thet ve-a cun vesh zeem betveee meels. Breeng qooerters fur zee veshers/dryers.

Sly
10-30-2005, 20:02
Yeah, that Sly is a great webslinger. Or der Sveedish Sheff hecked du site ur sumpin'.

Or I hit the wrong button on this Firefox thingie.
--------------------------
IMPORTENT STOoFF

Would you prefer it in chinese or spanish?

Nightwalker
10-30-2005, 20:10
Would you prefer it in chinese or spanish?
You didn't like "Mirada del texto del Bork?"

That really is a very strange Firefox add-on. You make software open source, folks with time on their hands invent strange things.

murphyw
11-02-2005, 16:16
I'm hoping to be part of AT GA->ME '06 and would like to attend a Ruck or similar.

Too bad I missed The Gathering this year.

Upcoming events where I can talk to Thru's from previous years between now and March '06 would be apprecaited!

Any (non-flame; experience based) opinions on W. Doyle's ATI?

Thanks.

--Bill

Lion King
11-02-2005, 16:51
I would like to show my Film if there is any interest in that this year.

What are the exact dates? Would be cool to hike there from Springer, even in the cold Snow, or better yet Franklin, just in case its too damn cold and snowy.

Mags
11-02-2005, 17:05
May be a bit further than some of you can go..but as mentioned we are doing a Ruck in Colorado this February. Many of us in the Rockies region love hiker get togethers. We just can't always fly to the coasts. :) So far we have 15 people signed up for sure. I am running a blurb in the PCTA. ATC and ALDHA-East newsletters as well. I expect ~25 people total.

From a previous post:

Last year we had the first (and hopefully!) annual
Rockies Ruck. It was a great success. About twenty
hikers in Boulder, CO. We ate (boy, did we eat!),
watched slide shows and enjoyed talking trail.

There have always been Gatherings, Rucks and Trail
Days on the East and West coasts..felt it was time to
bring a get together to the Rockies. We are all sick
of flying to see our hiker buddies. :D

The Ruck is a low key get together for those who enjoy
the long trails. Does not matter if you are
thru-hiker, a section hiker, day hiker or a
dreamer...you just need to love the outdoors and the
long trails!

More info on what a Ruck is all about:
http://friends.backcountry.net/ruck/

This year, we are having the Ruck at the Leadville
Hostel (http://www.leadvillehostel.com (http://www.leadvillehostel.com/)) in Leadville,
CO on Feb 24-26th. We did it this early so all the
ATers can get inspired for their big trek!

Some of you CDTers/CTers probably know Wild Bill from
your stay at the hostel. He is very hiker friendly and
very excited to be hosting us! Saw him in Leadville
in August and he is looking forward to having the
hikers over.

Unlike last year, we will be having the meals made for
us. Prices and such to be determined.

If you are interested in going, Bill does request a
rough head count. He knows organizing hikers can be
like herding cats :), so it will be that..a rough head
count! I told him ~25. Seems about right based on
last year.

More updates will be posted as we get closer.

I very excited! I think the Leadville Hostel will fit
our needs. Bill knows long distance hikers and what
the scene is all about. Should be a good fit!

I started a Yahoo group about the Rockies Ruck at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockies_ruck/. (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockies_ruck/)

Be an easy way to co-ordinate and such.

Any more questions? Please e-mail me at pmags AT
yahoo.com (replace the AT with an @)

orangebug
11-03-2005, 09:34
I would like to show my Film if there is any interest in that this year.

What are the exact dates? Would be cool to hike there from Springer, even in the cold Snow, or better yet Franklin, just in case its too damn cold and snowy.The SORUCK (Southern RUCK) will be MLK weekend at NOC. The PARUCK (Father of All RUCKs) will be at the IronMaster's Hostel, but I understand a different weekend from SuperBowl, this year. I think you will need to take a look at AT-L to get those dates, as I can't keep track of those doings in Yankee-Land.

Spirit Walker
11-03-2005, 11:20
Pennsylvania's is the last weekend of January (Superbowl isn't until Feb. this year - we didn't want to wait.)

For Bill Murphy - that gives you three options, two in January and one in Feb. - to get together with other AT hikers. Some people show up on Friday evening, others anytime on Saturday. There are pot luck meals (lunch and dinner usually), but check with the particular one you're interested in (NC, PA or CO). We go hiking, talk in small groups, have an occasional big group discussion, tuckerize a pack or two, eat lots, look at pictures and slides . . . It's all very informal (especially compared to the Gathering) - basically semi-organized chaos - but it 's fun.