PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia

Pony
01-17-2015, 15:46
So, I'm going to Dolly Sods Wilderness this spring. I've gone on a number of trips to the Monongahala National Forest, and I've always wondered why more of the AT doesn't go through WV. Virginia is one of my favorite AT states, but there's some really cool stuff in WV. Does anybody know why the trail was routed through northern Virginia instead of meandering through WV?

Slo-go'en
01-17-2015, 15:51
Because the AT follows along the highest points of the Appalachian Mountains, which do not fall in WV. The AT kisses WV for a few miles as it goes through Harpers Ferry.

Pony
01-17-2015, 15:55
Really? There are several 4,000 ft mountains in WV. Spruce Knob is nearly 5,000 ft.

Frye
01-17-2015, 16:21
So, I'm going to Dolly Sods Wilderness this spring. I've gone on a number of trips to the Monongahala National Forest, and I've always wondered why more of the AT doesn't go through WV. Virginia is one of my favorite AT states, but there's some really cool stuff in WV. Does anybody know why the trail was routed through northern Virginia instead of meandering through WV?

Seems unrealistic to me. Dolly Sods is SW of Front Royal which would mean a huge change of direction or just removing SNP altogether. There's a lot of great areas of Appalachia but the trail can't snake through them all. The GET spends a bit more time in WV though.

Bronk
01-17-2015, 16:29
The Allegheny trail runs through there, and not many people hike on it.

dangerdave
01-17-2015, 16:41
I live in southern Ohio, and have spent the past 30 years kayaking, hiking, biking, and camping all over West Virginia. I used to own a house near Greenbank, WV. Pocahontas County is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seem. I'm glad you appreciate that region, too. It needs more attention, including the flighty Allegheny Trail.

Maybe after my AT thru (this year), I'll go back there for a time. I have been on top of Spruce Knob several times.

Pony
01-17-2015, 17:07
Seems unrealistic to me. Dolly Sods is SW of Front Royal which would mean a huge change of direction or just removing SNP altogether. There's a lot of great areas of Appalachia but the trail can't snake through them all. The GET spends a bit more time in WV though.

No offense, but I think the MNF is way better than SNP anyway. If the trail headed NW for a few hundred miles to go thru WV, I'd be fine with that. It could loop back around and go thru HF wva and continue its course thru md and pa.

Pony
01-17-2015, 17:11
I live in southern Ohio, and have spent the past 30 years kayaking, hiking, biking, and camping all over West Virginia. I used to own a house near Greenbank, WV. Pocahontas County is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seem. I'm glad you appreciate that region, too. It needs more attention, including the flighty Allegheny Trail.

Maybe after my AT thru (this year), I'll go back there for a time. I have been on top of Spruce Knob several times.

I love WV. As John Denver would say, it's "almost heaven". Very underrated.

No Directions
01-17-2015, 17:34
Most people think the AT only passes through WV at the eastern panhandle but it also crosses from VA to WV a few times farther south. I know that's not the section you are referring to but just wanting people to know. I agree with you though, there are some beautiful places to hike in WV. I want to hike Senaca Rocks but the only time I was close to it there was a lot of ice on the ground and hiking it would have been hazardous,

Frye
01-17-2015, 17:52
No offense, but I think the MNF is way better than SNP anyway. If the trail headed NW for a few hundred miles to go thru WV, I'd be fine with that. It could loop back around and go thru HF wva and continue its course thru md and pa.

No offense? I'm lost on why your opinion would offend me. =/

Maybe it should have originally followed that path, I dunno, but to think it should follow a different path now I disagree with. The trail changes every year, but such a major revision would seem to take something away from it. A long distance trail which crosses the best parts of MNF and such would be great, but it shouldn't be the AT. That would be writing off to much of its history imo.

I do agree though that MNF is nicer then SNP and most of the time prefer its trails to the many in SNP.

No offense of course! =D

mikec
01-17-2015, 17:52
If the AT hadn't achieved National Scenic Trail status in the late 1960's more of the trail might have gone through WV where the Tuscarora Trail is today.

Frye
01-17-2015, 17:58
Most people think the AT only passes through WV at the eastern panhandle but it also crosses from VA to WV a few times farther south. I know that's not the section you are referring to but just wanting people to know. I agree with you though, there are some beautiful places to hike in WV. I want to hike Senaca Rocks but the only time I was close to it there was a lot of ice on the ground and hiking it would have been hazardous,

If you ever get down there during the proper time of year hit up one of the stables and ride up. Amazing!

Pony
01-17-2015, 18:09
Frye, I don't think it should change paths now, just curious why it never went thru WV to begin with. Awesome state, sad the AT missed out on it.

Frye
01-17-2015, 18:19
I wouldn't say its sad, it just didn't make it over that way to much. Just gives us backpackers more opportunities to hike more trails. No complaints there.

Now that you mention it I'm kind of curious how the original route was decided also. I know some of the history, like the idea behind it, the names of the people involved and such, but I don't know why they settled on the route they did. I can't say I think they made a mistake though, I love the trail as it is. (Well PA stinks. I don't mind the rocks, it's just Pittsburgh resides within its borders and ruins that whole section for me. Ugh... Pittsburgh...)

RangerZ
01-17-2015, 18:28
I wouldn't say its sad, it just didn't make it over that way to much. Just gives us backpackers more opportunities to hike more trails. No complaints there.

Now that you mention it I'm kind of curious how the original route was decided also. I know some of the history, like the idea behind it, the names of the people involved and such, but I don't know why they settled on the route they did. I can't say I think they made a mistake though, I love the trail as it is. (Well PA stinks. I don't mind the rocks, it's just Pittsburgh resides within its borders and ruins that whole section for me. Ugh... Pittsburgh...)

Huh? Pgh is ok, Philly is a different matter.

Frye
01-17-2015, 19:30
Huh? Pgh is ok, Philly is a different matter.

LOL.

It's a Bmore thang. =D

soilman
01-17-2015, 19:52
My guess to why the AT was laid out the way it is today is because most of the early trail pioneers were east coasters, Boston, NY, Washington D.C. and were not familiar with WV. They probably never walked in Dolly Sods, Cranberry Glades, Otter Creek, or Spruce Knob.

Six Steps
01-17-2015, 20:37
Country roads take me home to the place I belong...sighhhh. You all are making me homesick.

Demeter
01-18-2015, 08:04
Frankly, I am glad the AT doesn't go through that area of WV. I have a place in the Wilderness to escape to, without crowds...

Nooga
01-18-2015, 11:35
With all the talk about the AT being over crowded, it seems that having alternate routes would distribute some of the traffic. Springer to Davenport gap, via the Benton MacKaye trail would be a good alternate. Maybe a route though WV would also be desirable.

Slo-go'en
01-18-2015, 12:23
Okay, there are a few tall peaks in WV but it doesn't look like they are connected together by a well defined ridge line. We'd have to take a closer look at the overall topology of WV and VA to figure out why they jogged east to follow the VA ridge line instead going over the more bumpy route west through WV. There were probably a number of factors which made the trail go along the VA ridge line.

handlebar
01-19-2015, 19:54
You could always make your own AT route using the Tuscarora Trail and spend a bit more time in West Virginia. The TT runs to the west of the AT starting near Matthews Arm CG in Shenandoah NP and heading north rejoining the AT just south of Duncannon PA. Although, this route provides even more PA rocks, it also offers a lot of solitude and some amazing views. The route was originally designed in case urban sprawl from DC overtook the AT prior to the AT becoming a national park.