PDA

View Full Version : Gear List: Opinions/Criticism/Bad Mouthing is welcome

Hotspot
01-17-2015, 15:50
Planned departure date of March 19th! Posting this list for others to look over and for a sanity check.

Pack: Granite Gear Crown w/ trash compactor bag liner, frame removed, Zpacks backpack belt pouch
Sleeping Bag: Kelty Cosmic Down. May switch to a 10 or 20 degree quilt, but it has worked so far down to ~15 degrees. Stuffed into the depths of my back instead of using a stuff sack.
Sleeping Pad: Thermarest Z-Lite 3/4. This will be the frame for my bag.
Shelter: Tarptent Notch
Trekking Poles: Leki
Down Sweater: OR Transcendent
Rain Jacket: Marmot Precip
Insulation: Uniqlo Fleece
Base Layer: Uniqlo Heattech top and bottom. Merino t-shirt.
Pants: Brooks running shorts
Hiking Socks: 2x Darn Tough
Sock Liner: Smart Wool toe socks
Camp Socks: Smartwool
Gloves: Polartech liners, produce bags
Hat: Smartwool Beanie, will probably switch out to a OR ball cap or something once it is warmer. Also bringing an OR balaclava. It converts into a beanie but I find it to be too uncomfortable worn as such. These will get sent back in warmer weather.
Shoes: Merrell Moab. Will probably switch out to NB trail runners once these are trashed.
Cooking/Eating: SuperCat alcohol stove
Long spork
8 oz squeeze bottle for alcohol
1”x1” scotchbrite
mini bic
homemade aluminum windscreen
imusa grease pot with handle removed and modified lid handle
A few 2oz containers for hot sauce, salt and crushed red pepper
Headlamp: Petzl
Electronics: iPhone with USB to thunderbolt cord
GoPro
2.1A USB charger
15000 mAh Ravpower external battery
USB to micro USB cord for charging external battery and GoPro
Water: 2L Platy bag
2x 1L Smart water bottle with one sport cap for back flushing filter
Sawyer Mini
First Aid: Swiss mini knife with tweezers and scissors
10’ duct tape
Assorted Bandaids
Vitamin I
Antihistamine
Antibacterial Creme
Toiletries: TP
Dr Bronners
Cut Toothbrush
Travel Toothpaste
GB Powder for dustin' the chops
Misc: StickPic
Bandana
Sunglasses :cool:
Stuff/Dry sacks for everything
50’ Z-line
FedEx shipping bag for sittin’
Headphones for jammin'
AWOL Guide

I might grab some cheap rain pants or possibly some gaiters :-?

I'm sure I forgot something important :rolleyes:

bigcranky
01-17-2015, 15:56
Looks good. Cheap rain pants would be useful for the first month or two in cold, windy, wet weather (which you will see your share of :) )

soumodeler
01-17-2015, 16:12
Agree on the rain pants. DriDucks are $20. Just trash them when they tear up or it gets warm.

Might want some sunscreen to start out with.

Hotspot
01-17-2015, 16:15
Agree on the rain pants. DriDucks are $20. Just trash them when they tear up or it gets warm.

Might want some sunscreen to start out with.

I knew I forgot something. I have sunscreen in a little 4oz squeeze bottle. Thanks for reminding me!

soumodeler
01-17-2015, 16:32
I have had everything laid out on the floor for the last 3 weeks and I keep going over it to make sure I didn't forget anything!

colorado_rob
01-17-2015, 16:32
I knew I forgot something. I have sunscreen in a little 4oz squeeze bottle. Thanks for reminding me!I'm as fair skinned as they come, and I used a grand total of about an ounce of sunscreen in my first 700 miles. From you list, it seems like you are pretty weight conscious, so lose about 3 ounces of sunscreen, voila! Assuming you 're starting in the spring, just a tad on sensitive areas around 10am each day when it's actually sunny is plenty until mid May or so when UV starts to build earlier, but then again the leaves are out and you're mostly in deep shade anyway... really, high UV days are very rare along the AT....

And of yeah, dri duck pants are light and warm. Goofy looking to be sure, but light and warm and kinda waterproof when it's pouring.

Hotspot
01-17-2015, 16:40
I'm as fair skinned as they come, and I used a grand total of about an ounce of sunscreen in my first 700 miles. From you list, it seems like you are pretty weight conscious, so lose about 3 ounces of sunscreen, voila! Assuming you 're starting in the spring, just a tad on sensitive areas around 10am each day when it's actually sunny is plenty until mid May or so when UV starts to build earlier, but then again the leaves are out and you're mostly in deep shade anyway... really, high UV days are very rare along the AT....

And of yeah, dri duck pants are light and warm. Goofy looking to be sure, but light and warm and kinda waterproof when it's pouring.

Oh don't worry, it's not even close to full! I would say I have a little less than 2 oz in the bottle. It's just the only bottle I had lying around.

Connie
01-17-2015, 20:09
I don't think the Thermarest Z-Lite has enough R-value for March.

What do others think?

Frye
01-17-2015, 20:42
I came with the full intention of bad mouthing but actually like the list. I agree with the suggestions though.

Glad to see someone else thinks about the chops ahead of time. Foresight is a good quality! (I'm not bringing any actually, but my hindsight is superb)

@Connie, It's actually a pretty popular choice. I personally would add a thinlight over it on really cold nights but it should work alone. (Maybe a couple cold nights, but I wouldn't worry about it much)

Hotspot
01-17-2015, 22:03
I don't think the Thermarest Z-Lite has enough R-value for March.

What do others think?

I have read a lot of mixed reviews and a lot of speculation. But I went out in ~17 degree weather and had no issue (that couldn't be solved). I honestly went into it expecting to be cold as hell with the bag and pad on top of snow. I went into the bag warm and fully layered. I was way too warm with the exception of my toes. So I took off the fleece and down and wrapped my feet with them. I ended up being pretty toasty.

I am probably going to be grabbing the driduck goodies.

ATAdam
01-18-2015, 02:51
Good list.
Change the duck tape for Gorilla tape, you wont be sorry.
Bring a tyvek sheet the size of your Zlite, or a descent quality emergency blanket to double up - help on those real cold nights and when it warms you can toss it. I always like to be hardcore about my cold nights, but man on the AT cold nights suck worse than -15 in the Dakotas on a week long trip in the scrub - don't know why.

Odd Man Out
01-18-2015, 15:15
Very nice.

I suggest the cap or hat with a brim, even at the outset, to keep sun and rain off your face. I always wear a hat.

For first aid, Leukotape is better than duct tape. 10' seems like a lot.

puffturtle
01-18-2015, 15:43
Good list. I would add New Skin in the 1st aid kit. Paint it on your heels in the morning before you have blisters develop and it helps a lot. Shoe type is important and the source of much talk on the trail. Different brands fits people differently. Try on many brands Also have each foot measured, most people have feet that are not the same size. You will notice when you get blisters on one foot and not the other. good luck! Puff Turtle

Hotspot
01-18-2015, 18:45
Good list. I would add New Skin in the 1st aid kit. Paint it on your heels in the morning before you have blisters develop and it helps a lot. Shoe type is important and the source of much talk on the trail. Different brands fits people differently. Try on many brands Also have each foot measured, most people have feet that are not the same size. You will notice when you get blisters on one foot and not the other. good luck! Puff Turtle

I have never tried new skin. I'll look into it. Moleskin or leukotape would be my second choice to duct tape, but I'm willing to try something new. The shoes I have chosen have worked well in the past for me.

As for the suggestion of the brimmed hat, I have picked up a ultralight boonie.

Connie
01-18-2015, 19:08
I like the LED baseball hats: the "CUB" model LED hat has the LED's under the brim.

Panther Vision brand LED hats have low beam - high beam and long "watch battery" hours. Read the specs.

http://www.panthervision.com

I pull my long hair thru the back opening of the hat and I do not need a headlamp for camp, or, for the trail.

I also have both hands free, because I don't have a flashlight.

Importantly, I don't have a small item of gear easily misplaced or lost.

Violent Green
01-18-2015, 23:50
Ditch the bandaids. Anything small won't need a bandaid, anything big is too big for a band-aid. I would add some Desitin(zinc oxide) for healing any chafe and pick up some leukotape for blister prevention. It really is great stuff.

Ryan

colorado_rob
01-19-2015, 10:31
I don't see it mentioned, but seems like most folks tear the AWOL guide into pieces and only carry 1/3rd or 1/4th at a time, saves some ounces (bounce or mail the other sections appropriately). you don't mention what headlamp you're bringing, only saying "petzl", but there are some very light ones out there to save a couple ounces.

I don't see a pack cover; seems like a lot of folks don't use them and rely on interior bag (like you have) to keep stuff dry, which works, but I also use a 1-ounce cuben pack cover for two reasons: another layer of protection and to save potentially a lot weight; it rains a lot obviously, and a soaking wet pack (even with contents dry) can add 6-8 ounces of weight vs. dry (I tested this once, try it, weigh you pack, soak it and weigh it again, obviously this will vary a lot with pack age/fabric).

Overall pretty darn good list. FWIW, I think your z-rest is enough insulation for a late-March start. A couple/few nights early might benefit from a bit more, but you'll be fine with the z-rest.

Hotspot
01-19-2015, 15:10
I don't see it mentioned, but seems like most folks tear the AWOL guide into pieces and only carry 1/3rd or 1/4th at a time, saves some ounces (bounce or mail the other sections appropriately). you don't mention what headlamp you're bringing, only saying "petzl", but there are some very light ones out there to save a couple ounces.

I don't see a pack cover; seems like a lot of folks don't use them and rely on interior bag (like you have) to keep stuff dry, which works, but I also use a 1-ounce cuben pack cover for two reasons: another layer of protection and to save potentially a lot weight; it rains a lot obviously, and a soaking wet pack (even with contents dry) can add 6-8 ounces of weight vs. dry (I tested this once, try it, weigh you pack, soak it and weigh it again, obviously this will vary a lot with pack age/fabric).

Overall pretty darn good list. FWIW, I think your z-rest is enough insulation for a late-March start. A couple/few nights early might benefit from a bit more, but you'll be fine with the z-rest.

The guide will be torn.

It's the tikka xp 2. It worked well enough for me on the LT, I have no complaints.

The reason I don't have a pack cover listed is because I had a cuben pack cover and I ripped it twice in a month. I'm too irresponsible to own nice things like cuben :(

Hotspot
01-19-2015, 15:49
Ditch the bandaids. Anything small won't need a bandaid, anything big is too big for a band-aid. I would add some Desitin(zinc oxide) for healing any chafe and pick up some leukotape for blister prevention. It really is great stuff.

Ryan

I may or may not keep the bandaids. They are one of those "what if...?" security items that I'm having trouble getting rid of for some reason.

I typically don't get chafing, but I bring a small amount of GB powder for prevention. The only time I got chafing I just washed the area and applied a small amount of lip balm and some neosporin and it seemed to clear up just fine. If this method doesn't seem to work and it is starting to ruin my life I'll pick some up.

I'm going to pick up some leukotape tonight!

Don H
01-19-2015, 16:13
Sunscreen - (smallest container you can buy) until the leaves come out.
Consider using UL dry sacks for your clothes and sleeping bag and forget the trash compactor bag.

Connie
01-19-2015, 16:28
The LightHeart Gear Hoodie Pack Cover may be the best pack cover for you.

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/rain-gear/hoodie-pack-cover

Hotspot
01-19-2015, 19:52
Sunscreen - (smallest container you can buy) until the leaves come out.
Consider using UL dry sacks for your clothes and sleeping bag and forget the trash compactor bag.

I stuff my down bag in the bottom of the bag because I find it fills out the bottom of the bag better than it would if it were in a stuff or dry sack. Because of this I need some sort of liner as a defense against water seeping through the bottom in wet conditions. If I had a quilt or a better quality down bag that compressed smaller, I would definitely consider switching over... until then, I'll keep my garbage where it belongs.

The LightHeart Gear Hoodie Pack Cover may be the best pack cover for you.

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/rain-gear/hoodie-pack-cover

If I find that I end up need a pack cover this one will definitely be considered.

squeezebox
01-19-2015, 20:53
I'll go straight to the bad mouthing, You're are an idiot for trying to hike the AT. Too many blisters, too much hunger, too much being soaking wet. too cold, too hot. too much stink. Have a god time, enjoy the trail.

Hotspot
01-19-2015, 21:08
I'll go straight to the bad mouthing, You're are an idiot for trying to hike the AT. Too many blisters, too much hunger, too much being soaking wet. too cold, too hot. too much stink. Have a god time, enjoy the trail.

Nah it's cool. I'm bringing frozen pizzas, a hair dryer (multi use... I can dry off and stay warm.), and like 20 cans of Axe body to stay sexy. As for the blisters... It's hard to get blisters when you're being carried :banana

squeezebox
01-20-2015, 09:21
The Kelty Cosmic is heavy for a down bag. Any chance you can afford to switch to something lighter?

linus72
01-20-2015, 10:39
good list. i'd add waterproof matches or flint. bics are great but not invincible

Hotspot
01-20-2015, 12:17
The Kelty Cosmic is heavy for a down bag. Any chance you can afford to switch to something lighter?

it definitely is. In the OP I stated I might grab a quilt. It would cut nearly a pound off of my base weight. I have never used a quilt before so I'm a little hesitant this late in the game to purchase one. I'm not willing to shell out 400-500 for a bag that will keep me just as warm for the half pound savings. If this bag gets annihilated or something, sure. But for now I'll just hold on to it. Once warm weather rolls around it will feel even better to shed the weight.

Connie
01-20-2015, 12:53
Matches have to be dry and fresh.

I recommend the SparkLite firestarter developed for aviators emergency kit. It is better than matches.

There is the regular SparkLite.

Here is the Sparklite w/extra flints and provision for replacing the flints:

http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Lite-Aviation-Military-Firestarter-TinderQuik/dp/B00K8EOO4G

Zelph came up with this design improvement. I have one he made. I suggested the small allen key.

I have no income from this item.

SparkLite has been around a long time. I never had the one flint plastic SparkLite wear out.

http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Lite-Fire-Starter/dp/B003ZSULYO

Easily lost, I recommend keeping the SparkLite in a zippered pocket.

There is even a YouTube video showing use of the SparkLite. If you have never seen a SparkLite in action, Google Search "sparklite" you will see the video.

I put a small shower of sparks into my Zelph Fancee Feest alcohol stove. It works with Zelph's StarLyte w/lid as well.

Connie
01-20-2015, 13:06
Hotspot, I spent $249 for a Hammock Gear Burrow 20.

I recommend Hammock Gear for quality and price. I have never seen a better quality. The price is excellent for value.

Hammock Gear has four different temperature ratings. I chose the 20 F.

I am 5'6". I can throw the Standard length over my head. The amount of materials at the sides is generous.

Hammock Gear has Long version and a Wide version. I suppose long and wide, for that matter.

There is overfill available.

Mine has the sewn footbox because my intended use is down to 20 F for almost year round.

There is provision for "ground sleepers" securing the sides. There are two methods shown online: the Katabatic website, and, the Cascade Designs website for use with their XLite series air mats. I have the XTherm. I see no reason either method wouldn't work with a self-inflating mattress.

I have not needed either method, so far.

1azarus
01-20-2015, 13:24
you might be happier with a micropuff synthetic jacket than the down jacket -- it'll deal so much better with moisture issues in rain or if you need added insulation while walking. otherwise, looks good to me.

Hotspot
01-20-2015, 16:17
you might be happier with a micropuff synthetic jacket than the down jacket -- it'll deal so much better with moisture issues in rain or if you need added insulation while walking. otherwise, looks good to me.

I sweat like a pig when I'm hiking... I'm usually good in just a thermal LS. At the very most I would just wear a fleece for any added warmth. The down jacket stays in a dry sack and only comes out when I'm in a dry place.

1azarus
01-20-2015, 17:24
I sweat like a pig when I'm hiking... I'm usually good in just a thermal LS. At the very most I would just wear a fleece for any added warmth. The down jacket stays in a dry sack and only comes out when I'm in a dry place.

i guess what i'm saying is i don't remember seeing a fleece on your list -- and if you were going to bring one as well as a down jacket, i'm suggesting you might be happier with just one micropuff jacket instead of two jackets... no biggy either way. enjoy your hike!