PDA

View Full Version : Roan Mountain hike

Short Bus
01-18-2015, 11:55
Doing another section this June. Have been reading a bit on the Roan Mountain area and the wonderful views. I need recommendations on a section hike of about 3-4 days that include the best scenery for this section. Need information on where to start (trail town) leaving a car, shuttles etc. Any information would be helpful. Las year we did the Cheoah Bald area from the NOC which was nice.

MuddyWaters
01-18-2015, 11:59
Double post

MuddyWaters
01-18-2015, 12:01
Indian grave gap to 19E. 43 miles . includes Beauty spot and Roans Balds. Park at Mountain Harbor (100 yds from trail at 19E) and get them to shuttle you. Eat breakfast with them first.

johnnybgood
01-18-2015, 12:12
For starters, the Roan Mountain section is a fantastic section to do with terrific views . I would recommend leaving the car at Mountain Harbour Hostel and having them shuttle you south about 40 miles to Indian Grave Gap. If you're in decent shape the walk back to your car at Mtn Harbour should take 3 days , which also affords you time to soak up the scenery.

saltysack
01-18-2015, 12:24
Iron mtn gap to 19e...did last winter...great 30 mile....+++mountain harbor hostel.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short Bus
01-18-2015, 12:40
Thanks all. Iron Mountain or Indian Grave to 19E it is. One last question. I can go either way so NOBO or SOBO? I usually prefer NOBO for the company but my wife is catching on that at least in the section we did last year, NOC to Fontana, SOBO is was less strenuous.

SteelCut
01-18-2015, 13:14
I prefer to walk TO my car. I choose my direction based on that and not the difficulty of the hike.

But if you park at Mountain Harbour (recommended) and get shuttled to Indian Grave or Iron Mountain you will be obviously going NOBO and hiking back to your car. You will be going up and completely over the Roan Highlands regardless of hiking direction, but I think going NOBO is slightly harder than SOBO in that section. However the new trail re-routing on the portion from Hughes Gap to Roan has tamed the section quite a bit.

Enjoy. It's a great hike.

saltysack
01-18-2015, 14:20
Going over roan was a bitc$ last winter as it was solid ice....took me over 12 hours to hike 15 miles

illabelle
01-18-2015, 16:26
Haven't done this section yet - gonna be there in June - but wanted to pitch in and say I've read NOT to leave your car at 19E as it has a history of vandalism. You definitely want to get Mtn Harbour to shuttle you. That's our plan.

saltysack
01-18-2015, 17:23
Haven't done this section yet - gonna be there in June - but wanted to pitch in and say I've read NOT to leave your car at 19E as it has a history of vandalism. You definitely want to get Mtn Harbour to shuttle you. That's our plan.

Mtn Harbour has safe parking...can't remember if they charged....

misterfloyd
01-19-2015, 13:07
You really are going over one of the nicest parts of the AT.

I hope you have great weather!

Floyd

bus
01-19-2015, 14:16
I love this section. Mt Harbour is a great hostel. mid-June you will see the rhododendron and azaleas in bloom. Tale the side trail to Grassy Ridge! (after Jane and Round balds just after Carvers Gap). If ya dig shelters the Barn(Overmountain shelter) is kind of iconic. If ya stop at the barn for lunch, just keep an eye on the weather. Be sure to be over the balds of Little and Big Hump before the afternoon storms (trust me :)) .

Have fun. You will love this section. Terry and Mary at Mountain Harbour are good folks.

Sandy of PA
01-19-2015, 21:00
Chef Mary's cooking was awsome!

bigcranky
01-19-2015, 21:51
Leave your car at Mt Harbour and hike northbound.

Roanmtnman
01-19-2015, 22:10
I live in roan mountain and agree its a wonderful hike! If you run into in trouble or need anything send me a message and ill try to help!

Superbugz
01-20-2015, 22:49
I'm really excited and doing this exact hike only at the end of May instead of June. Do y'all think the Rhododendrons will be blooming yet? That is partly why I chose this particular stretch, so trying to find just the right time.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
01-21-2015, 22:11
There will be some. Peak is usually mid june. A storm can knock them all down so that the peak never occurs as well.

Steppin Wolf
01-21-2015, 22:37
By what date in May will the majority of thru hikers be past the Roans?

illabelle
01-21-2015, 22:48

Big party in Damascus in mid-May, so most thru-hikers should be beyond Roan by then.

MuddyWaters
01-21-2015, 22:59
The majority will pass thru by early May trying to get to trail days for May 15. Its about 6 days to damascus from roan. There will still be stragglers coming thru first week or two of june.

joec
01-22-2015, 13:34
I had my wife with me and had Mountain Harbor shuttle me up to Carvers Gap and we walked back to the hostel. It was beautiful. I did the south side earlier and it was not as scenic but it is is hard to match going north from Carvers Gap.