PDA

View Full Version : Further Question re: Shuttles

dperry
10-27-2005, 16:30
As a shuttle provider there really is no other way. It's much too hard to judge when someone will be finishing their hike.It seems (and not to pick on Sly in particular, it was just a convenient quote) that many people are down on the idea of trying to meet a shuttler either in the middle or at the end of a hike. In general, I do agree that this should be avoided whenever possible. However, I had considered using a shuttle for both parts of the hike when the section I was doing was far away from the Philadelphia area (i.e., Georgia, NC/TN, upper NH, ME). The plan would be to fly in on a Saturday, be shuttled to the starting point Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, hike from Sunday to the next Saturday, shuttle back to the airport Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, and then fly back on Sunday. I would like to avoid either a.) driving 8-14 hours the day before and the day after the hike, plus leaving my car at a trailhead for a week or b.) renting a car at the local airport and having to pay nine days worth for only two days's use, not to mention leaving a rental car at the trailhead for a week. Not to mention that with both these alternatives, you still have to get a shuttle one way. Also, I thought it might be nice to get picked up in the middle of some sections and spend a night indoors--i.e., Erwin, Monson. However, if people really think it's that difficult to meet a shuttle, perhaps I need to reconsider my plans. What do you all think?

Sly
10-27-2005, 16:37
Sorry I wasn't very clear.

Of course, if you're not dropping a car and you're flying or busing in, it's OK to arrange to be picked up at a certain time. The problem in Miss Janet's example was the hikers were angry they had to wait three hours after the pre-arranged time.

Miss Janet
10-27-2005, 21:53
You could fly into the TRI Tricities airport in Johnson City and I could pick you up there... drive you either North or South of Erwin and you would be hiking back into town for 5-6 days. Then you could get a a night in town then get a ride back to the airport.

OR You could hike 3 days into Erwin from the south, spend a night in town, shuttle north a few days hike and walk back into Erwin. You would get a couple of great sections hiked and all without the worry of rentals or trailhead parking.

The real point is about planning logically. I would be glad to help you when you get around to this area.

orangebug
10-27-2005, 22:33
Listen to Miss Janet. She knows about us section hikers, and offers painfully accurate advice.

dperry
10-27-2005, 23:33
You could fly into the TRI Tricities airport in Johnson City and I could pick you up there... drive you either North or South of Erwin and you would be hiking back into town for 5-6 days. Then you could get a a night in town then get a ride back to the airport.

OR You could hike 3 days into Erwin from the south, spend a night in town, shuttle north a few days hike and walk back into Erwin. You would get a couple of great sections hiked and all without the worry of rentals or trailhead parking.

The real point is about planning logically. I would be glad to help you when you get around to this area.Actually, Miss Janet, you're thinking better than I am. I was thinking of it in terms of hiking 3-4 days into Erwin, staying at your place, then hiking 3-4 days away from Erwin. However, your way makes a lot more sense, not to mention getting to hike into the gorge downhill both ways. :clap

Unfortunately, the current schedule doesn't have me doing this section until around 2025, and I won't ask you to commit to still being in the hiker support business until then. However, I should be seeing you much earlier than that for some other sections, so that's good. . .Thanks for the interest and good suggestions.

Almost There
10-27-2005, 23:52
Miss Janet,

I might take you up on your services in early April, as a teache I have the first week off I think, either I'll shoot north of the Smokies or I'll finish Franklin to Fontana. It's still a ways away, but one thing, you are a true trail gem! Thanks for all you do for us Hiker Trash! (Yes, I actually got called that...behind my back by a couple in their Jaguar who stopped at Woody Gap to take pictures at the overlook. They looked like something out of a catalog, and to think they thought "I" looked ridiculous in my kilt...Please, some people have no appreciation for fine summer aged cologne or fashion!)

tiamalle
10-28-2005, 00:32
Miss Janet,

I might take you up on your services in early April, as a teache I have the first week off I think, either I'll shoot north of the Smokies or I'll finish Franklin to Fontana. It's still a ways away, but one thing, you are a true trail gem! Thanks for all you do for us Hiker Trash! (Yes, I actually got called that...behind my back by a couple in their Jaguar who stopped at Woody Gap to take pictures at the overlook. They looked like something out of a catalog, and to think they thought "I" looked ridiculous in my kilt...Please, some people have no appreciation for fine summer aged cologne or fashion!)Almost There you mentioned some section Ga& NC.For the next several weeks I have some shuttles schuled in those areas.I think I saw one you said you wanted took to Unicoi from Dicks Gap.next week I'll be at Dicks Gap early.If I can help you E-mail me.Hey you can wear you Kilt.I hauled Bramble this past spring a time or two.Ron