PDA

View Full Version : marking your stuff

squeezebox
01-19-2015, 08:19
I read the thread about someone who left their tent behind. Several other folks 'fessed up to leaving stuff at times. Since a lot of our gear looks alike and we are jammed into a small shelter it's easy to get stuff mixed up. So here are my thoughts about how to not do that.
- print out some address label type of things with real name, trail name, phone number, direction of travel use the wide clear packing tape to tape the label to anything with a solid surface, hiking poles etc.
- cut up some 3x5 card with said info put in a small zip lock put in anything with a pocket; pack lid, jacket, tent pocket, etc.
- for expensive cloth stuff; tent, sleeping bag, cut a 3x3 piece of cloth , with a sharpie write said info on it, sew in place by hand, easier to remove than machine stitching.
- Get some electricians tape, it comes in different colors, chose your color and wrap some around any solid surface; hiking poles, pot handle, the neck of your stove, etc. my color will be yellow with a thinner blue stripe down the center.
- on cloth stuff; socks, underwear, shirts, bottoms, etc. get some cloth ribbon from walmart, cut off a piece a couple inches long, sew in place. again my color will be yellow and blue.
Sounds like a lot of work but a nice winter project to get in touch with all your gear.
Your thoughts??

Joey C
01-19-2015, 08:25
not a bad idea. Cloth tape works well to write on and adhere to what ever is needed. I'd suggest not marking things a bit inconspicuously, yet easy enough to note if need be.

squeezebox
01-19-2015, 08:50
The problem with cloth tape it gets dirty easily. But yes a good option.

Starchild
01-19-2015, 09:20
I have though about it, and have put a star symbol with a sharpy marker on some items to make it easier for me to find them and others not to take them by mistake.

Faster/easier then the cloth tape/sow method, however a bit less personally identifiable then the suggestion.

StarMan
01-19-2015, 12:29
StarChild,

I have also been putting "Stars" on all of my "Stuff" for years. I also Sharpy or etch my cell phone number and my last name. Started doing this when I taught for the Mountaineers the backcountry first aid course (MOFA). During our practice disaster scenarios, often all of our gear, from a dozen backpacks would end up in a heap next to our volunteer patient/victim. I found this labeling practice came in handy on the AT. One night in one of the required "Shelters of Doom" in the Smokies, i counted no less than 20 sets of hiking poles. Mine stuck out like a glowing Star. Point is, please no one use a STAR, two of us already do this. By the way StarChild could you look thru your gear (I will do the same) just in case we accidentally grabed the wrong "Star Stuff"
:sun
StarMan
(Finishing the AT this year)

Starchild
01-19-2015, 19:45
StarChild,

I have also been putting "Stars" on all of my "Stuff" for years. I also Sharpy or etch my cell phone number and my last name. Started doing this when I taught for the Mountaineers the backcountry first aid course (MOFA). During our practice disaster scenarios, often all of our gear, from a dozen backpacks would end up in a heap next to our volunteer patient/victim. I found this labeling practice came in handy on the AT. One night in one of the required "Shelters of Doom" in the Smokies, i counted no less than 20 sets of hiking poles. Mine stuck out like a glowing Star. Point is, please no one use a STAR, two of us already do this. By the way StarChild could you look thru your gear (I will do the same) just in case we accidentally grabed the wrong "Star Stuff"
:sun
StarMan
(Finishing the AT this year)

StarMan, I have developed a unique 'Starchild' star symbol so I don't think a mix up is possible, but will check.

BTW your child support payment is late ;)

Starchild

AndyJ_54
01-19-2015, 19:59
I have been using 3 color bands of tape for many years one of which is reflective that also helps me find it at night.